Two.Eight studders off the line

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

derangedsheep

Two.Eight studders off the line

Post by derangedsheep »

When driving my fiero I noticed it does something weird. When starting out, it will sort of studder. It doesn't do it after you have been driving for a while though. For example. I back out of my driveway and then put it in drive and when I press the gas pedal it studders before it gets going. It doesn't buck or anything it's more like a slight hesitation. The ECM isn't throwing any codes. Any ideas?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I've had that problem from two different causes. First time was with my 2.8. It was running pretty ragged. On acceleration it would buck until about 20, then go. Then one dayit seemed to be really lagging then I heard a bang out of the rear and it was like someone unhooked an anchor from the rear bumper. I'm not sure what the issue was, but my belief is a plugged catalytic converter.

With the SheBeast, I had a couple of tanks of gas that gave me very bad hesitation. I blew through a couple of tanks of Chevron and it went away.
x-treme86GT

Post by x-treme86GT »

the 2.8 was not a smooth running engine in general, especially in the Fiero. I've always politely ignored any sputtering and havent had any trouble. 194,000 miles now and going... :salute:
2.8 pwnz
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I usually found that part throttle tip in studder is caused by the map or the TPS.

OBD1 is so easy man. It can only be so many things.