My new car

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

some acheivas had a suspension package with electric adjustable shocks, is that what magnetoher...... whatever that word means???

It wasnt the scx, it was just the sc model.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Buicks are for grandmas with less style.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

p8ntman442 wrote:some acheivas had a suspension package with electric adjustable shocks, is that what magnetoher...... whatever that word means???

It wasnt the scx, it was just the sc model.
But that a multi-position adjustment, right? IE, it had sport & regular modes and the driver could switch between?

MR shocks are a different beast. They are in both sport and regular modes at the same time, all the time. The computer controls the viscosity of the fluid at the valve via a magnetic field in real time (for every INCH of road at 60 MPH). These are available on Corvettes and Cadillacs. They are not available on the ZO6 because they supposedly dull steering response... I think that could be fixed by adding a steering angle sensor and the ZO6 would be a better car for it, but apparently GM doesn't see that the way I do.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

no, some gm engineer with 1000 hours of matlab time into the system response of the corvette suspension has the data to back up his argument. maybee.......

When in school a group of guys was looking into the MR shocks to do system testing on, but the fluid was so expensive, they didnt do the project. Know I know what your talking about, But im not sure what the acheivas had.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: My new car

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

slow'n'steady wrote:Cadillac Eldorado "Touring Coupe". This is the 300+ HP N* engine, base models cam with 200ish... Every option possible, Bose sound system, 12 disc changer, cassette, factory security system (gettin a good aftermarket alarm wednesday). Already got th system in it running 0 gauge pushin about 1800W rms... completely flawless car! Gotta love those old people that dont drive in the snow/rain!!
slow'n'steady wrote:'99

WHEN DID HE SAY IT WAS A 2001? He said it was a 99 and lower models only had 200ish HP. He knows what year his car is.
Xanth

Re: My new car

Post by Xanth »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:

WHEN DID HE SAY IT WAS A 2001? He said it was a 99 and lower models only had 200ish HP. He knows what year his car is.
He originally said 01 by accident, but fixed it after.
FIEROAJ

Post by FIEROAJ »

Hi there..I don't mean to trash anybody's ride, but the Eldorado is not that great of a car.

I had a 1996 ETC. I was a decent car, but not that great. After fixing quite a few items I sold it just a week ago. Many things went wrong with it, and contrary to what someone else post, it does have body roll!

Under normal usage the caddy is o.k. but pushed hard it really complains.

BAD:The computer control over the car to prevent abuse sucks. The transmission sometimes doesn't downshift when it should which leaves a small displacement V8 pulling a heavy car out of it's peak torque window (occurs around 4000 RPM). The automatic ride control gives a feeling of floating and instability. For the original MSRP price of the car, the interior isn't very good. Electrical nightmare. I had a draw problem that took me a while to track down. It ended up being the disc changer. When I first got the car, the battery/starter/alternator went out. The twilight sentinel went out. Courtesy lights come on when the felt like it. Disabling traction control gives you 2nd gear starts. Used oil ( quite a few N*s do, I think it is due to either the cylinder prep or type of piston ring used)

The car is a bitch to work on. Wait until you have to do a front engine mount, a blower motor, or an alternator.

Pray you don't have to mess with the electrical. Most of the electrical control modules are located behind the rear seat. They make up almost the entire area behind the back seat!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and make sure that your car has had the recall or it could go up in flames. The entire fuel rail is made out of hard plastic that gets brittle with age.

Now, the new caddys are nice and they are tuned better for the non-senior citizen, but I think I will try Mercedes next time. I test drove a C32 AMG and wow what a car.
1984 Fiero (manual trans) SOLD

1984 Fiero (automatic) SOLD

1987 Fiero GT, Northstar swap axed, engine sold. 3800 turbo planned.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My CTS seems like a great car. Going from our 2000 Intrepid to a new CTS is night and day. The CTS handles awesome, the 5 speed auto shifts very smoothly, the interior is excellent, lots of power etc. I think Cadillac is finally starting to sell cars for younger people who actually like to drive instead of floating down the road.

I really like that Cadillac has gone with RWD platforms now. I love drifting the CTS in the snow, so much more fun to drive than the Intrepid. Its rated at 255hp but it keeps right up to my parents G35x on acceleration and their car is rated at 300hp. I know there is more drivetrain loss on their awd system but I think the Nissan might be a bit over-rated.

Only thing that would make it better would be an LS6. Its my wife's daily driver so having the 3.6 VVT V-6 is fine.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

crzyone wrote:My CTS seems like a great car. Going from our 2000 Intrepid to a new CTS is night and day. The CTS handles awesome, the 5 speed auto shifts very smoothly, the interior is excellent, lots of power etc. I think Cadillac is finally starting to sell cars for younger people who actually like to drive instead of floating down the road.

I really like that Cadillac has gone with RWD platforms now. I love drifting the CTS in the snow, so much more fun to drive than the Intrepid. Its rated at 255hp but it keeps right up to my parents G35x on acceleration and their car is rated at 300hp. I know there is more drivetrain loss on their awd system but I think the Nissan might be a bit over-rated.

Only thing that would make it better would be an LS6. Its my wife's daily driver so having the 3.6 VVT V-6 is fine.
How's the body roll? I drove a CTS-V at the GM demo thing in Las Vegas last summer, and I was a little disappointed in that department. I thought the V would be stiffer than that, but then again, it is a Caddy.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

FIEROAJ wrote:Used oil ( quite a few N*s do, I think it is due to either the cylinder prep or type of piston ring used)
The oil use is a combo of agressive cylinder hone that holds a lot of oil on the bores to allow the engine to survive extended high RPM use, poor break in and infrequent use of heavy throttle.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Fastback86 wrote: How's the body roll? I drove a CTS-V at the GM demo thing in Las Vegas last summer, and I was a little disappointed in that department. I thought the V would be stiffer than that, but then again, it is a Caddy.
That's interesting... most of the reviews I've read said that the CTS-V has the most sporting ride among the cars to which it is usually compared.

Lack of body roll does not necessarily mean great handling. With good suspension design, a chassis can tolerate body roll and still use its tires well, which means that it can be sprung more softly and ride better without compormising handling.
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

Correct.
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Lack of body roll does not necessarily mean great handling. With good suspension design, a chassis can tolerate body roll and still use its tires well, which means that it can be sprung more softly and ride better without compormising handling.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well, compared to my GTR its a whale but compared to my Intrepid its solid as a rock around a corner.

I would say a lot less body roll than a fiero on stock suspension.

Its subjective I guess. For a 4 door family car its handling is great. It's not exactly a small nimble sports car.
FIEROAJ

Post by FIEROAJ »

FIEROAJ wrote:Used oil ( quite a few N*s do, I think it is due to either the cylinder prep or type of piston ring used)
The oil use is a combo of agressive cylinder hone that holds a lot of oil on the bores to allow the engine to survive extended high RPM use, poor break in and infrequent use of heavy throttle.
That is correct, which is not necessary at all. I don't know what GM engineers were thinking as the redline(fuel cutoff) for this vehicle was 6400 RPM which is less than some OHV engines. Also while the ETC and STS have more agressive ratio in the transaxle 3.70:1 v.s. about 3.1:1 for the base models. The trans shifts early anyways.

So why do all this and not take advantage of the OHC setup that cost engine compartment space and weight. Sometimes I think they just should have taken the 4.9 and put better heads / cam on it and call it a day.

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Because a Cadillac that's trying to reclaim the title of "Standard of the World" needs a DOHC engine to compare favorably on paper with BMW in the perceptions of the snooty.

To maintain desired idle quality with an automatic transmission, they couldn't cam the engine aggressively enough to take advantage of the RPM capability of OHC valvetrain, at least not with fixed cam timing.

The 275 HP engines redlined at 6400 and made peak power at 5200. The 300 HP engines redlined at 6700 and made peak power at 6000. The 320 HP VVT engines redline at 6750, but make peak power at 6400 RPM, while maintaining the idle quality and low RPM torque of the 275 HP engines.

The new 3.6 DI has variable cam phasing and direct injection and makes 304 HP at 6400 RPM with 6800 RPM redline. GM is slowly increasing redline speeds and specific power, but because their engines are bigger, they can't do it as aggressively as builders of small engines like Honda.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: The new 3.6 DI has variable cam phasing and direct injection and makes 304 HP at 6400 RPM with 6800 RPM redline.
Its amazing that the new DI 3.6 makes 50 more hp over my traditional injection 3.6.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Fastback86 wrote: How's the body roll? I drove a CTS-V at the GM demo thing in Las Vegas last summer, and I was a little disappointed in that department. I thought the V would be stiffer than that, but then again, it is a Caddy.
That's interesting... most of the reviews I've read said that the CTS-V has the most sporting ride among the cars to which it is usually compared.

Fair enough. I didn't have any other cars to compare it to at the time. From what I had read about how solid it was, I found the amount of body roll surprising, though it did handle very well. If the seats had been bolstered better, I may not have thought the body roll was that bad.
<Insert Sig Here>
FIEROAJ

Post by FIEROAJ »

crzyone wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: The new 3.6 DI has variable cam phasing and direct injection and makes 304 HP at 6400 RPM with 6800 RPM redline.
Its amazing that the new DI 3.6 makes 50 more hp over my traditional injection 3.6.
From what I have seen that is also due to a higher compression ratio.
10.2 in the LY7 to about 11.3 in the LLT

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I imagine that the 3.6 DI has HUGE cams compared to the 3.6 PFI. Because the fuel is injected into the chamber after the exhaust valve has closed, there's no risk of blowing mixture out the exhaust at low engine speeds as there is with a port injected engine, so you can build it with REALLY radical cams and preserve idle quality and emissions.

In terms of making a radical engine streetable, DI is as far above port injection as port injection is above carbeuretion. I'm surprised that superbikes don't have DI yet, as that would civilize their raucus engines considerably.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: their raucus engines considerably.
Its only a matter of time. They are pretty close to maximum output on pump gas as it is. It will be amazing to see what they could do with DI.

How well DI works at 15k RPM is another thing.