need help 88 toyota 4 runner

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

teamhavok2

need help 88 toyota 4 runner

Post by teamhavok2 »

I am currently helping my fiance's mom with her 88 4 runner. It has a 3.0 EFI with 4 wheel drive and a 5 speed. When I first got to it the motor would turn but not fire. I switched out the wires and checked the spark plugs. That got the motor to sputter a bit but it will not run on it's own without the starter. I gave the throttle a bit of gas and the runner fired properly till the gas ran out (maybe 3 seconds on it's own) I checked the fuel pump, it clicks, and pumps like the chilton says. I took of the intake manifold to check the fuel injectors. I didn't have a soundscope but they did give me the proper omes. Just looking for some suggestions on what to check next or maybe something I might have over looked. Thanks for the help.
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Stethoscopes are cheap and will tell you if you're getting injector pulses.

Or a noid light.

Have you checked spark? How strong is it?

Is the engine dizzy or coil pack?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

How about the fuel filter?
teamhavok2

Post by teamhavok2 »

the spark is descent but not bad enough to stop it from running. I'll go out and check the fuel filter today but i know it has some pressure to the injectors since i had to undo a few lines before i checked the ohms on the injectors.
Silver 85 GT-scratch that
Maroon and sliver 86 GT
Project Life
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Might have full pressure, until the injectors open. Its wether or not you are getting sufficient flow through the fuel filter to maintain pressure.