28 lb injectors?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:I am not ready to spend the time to convert to 7730 yet. It doesn't need to be converted. I have the harness and computer to do so but not in the mood. It can be figured out. I think Ryan said he has never done an 88 chip before so I am sort of in unchartered territory here. I am just ready to ditch this 88 and see if the 85 ecm will work. If it doesn't then I will figure something else out, or just run more nitrous.
Are you the one who's always busting on people for not getting their stuff tuned right?

Why doesn't that extend to getting the right engine management to tune stuff right?

IE, shouldn't you be taking your own medicine? :thumbleft:

as far as I can tell, even the 7730 stuff is kinda mickey mouse. why not just spend a couple of bucks and be done with it?

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... -p-59.html
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What makes you think that a 7730 is mickey mouse compared to a Megasquirt?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I thought I was doing it right by getting a custom chip for boost, a wideband, etc etc. Oh well. I know you are just kidding though.

The car is tuned just fine. Runs perfect. Just can't go more then 10 psi.

If someone has the file for the $24 code send it to me or host it somewhere and I will take a look at it to see if I can figure it out.

I will probably go 7730 soon enough when/if I ever get around to the al head itb engine. But I want to get this bugged worked out. Not only for me, but for others that might come along and want to run more then 10 psi.
AntiCooter

Post by AntiCooter »

Honest Don wrote: as far as I can tell, even the 7730 stuff is kinda mickey mouse. why not just spend a couple of bucks and be done with it?

All it took was one time of having to push a big-block Suburban up hill to get it out of traffic because my Mickey Mouse aftermarket ecm failed to convince me that an OEM unit is the way to go. If I would have been running a '730, I could have walked to Advance or AutoZone with my dead ecm and 20 minutes later been driving home.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

the 7730 is supposed to pull harder and run smoother at high rpms, just what your street racings turbo'ed ass needs (excuse the expression). I'd go for it. Ryan has tuned a 7730 for an 88 but I don't know if thats what you were referring to.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

sidetrack... Cooter, sell me your LS1 coils for $60. /sidetrack
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

AntiCooter wrote:
Honest Don wrote: as far as I can tell, even the 7730 stuff is kinda mickey mouse. why not just spend a couple of bucks and be done with it?

All it took was one time of having to push a big-block Suburban up hill to get it out of traffic because my Mickey Mouse aftermarket ecm failed to convince me that an OEM unit is the way to go. If I would have been running a '730, I could have walked to Advance or AutoZone with my dead ecm and 20 minutes later been driving home.

If it were an OE unit, it probably wouldn't have failed in traffic.
AntiCooter

Post by AntiCooter »

Jinxmutt wrote:sidetrack... Cooter, sell me your LS1 coils for $60. /sidetrack
sidetrack.......Bid!!!!!!.......sidetrack :)

Will- Lesson learned. I've had a completly fried '165 run my 'Vette good enough to get home, while a bad O2 sensor put the 'Burb on the side of the Interstate.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

AntiCooter wrote:
Jinxmutt wrote:sidetrack... Cooter, sell me your LS1 coils for $60. /sidetrack
sidetrack.......Bid!!!!!!.......sidetrack :)

Will- Lesson learned. I've had a completly fried '165 run my 'Vette good enough to get home, while a bad O2 sensor put the 'Burb on the side of the Interstate.

what kind of ecm were you running? I've personally squirted a couple of vehicles myself and they seem to be pretty damn reliable. this is my old pickup running fuel off of a MS box with a Rochester TBI unit:

I've ran it in the worst weather nebraska could throw at it, drive it three hours out of town(nowhere near an autozone) regularly, and its been just fine for the past 30k miles or so. oh and I went from 9 to 16mpg after getting rid of the quadrajunk. A failed O2 sensor won't stop it either....

And it could be yours too:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/car/536954134.html

I'm selling it as I do a lot of driving for work, and with 3 dollar gas, 16mpg just isn't quite enough.

I call the 7730 "mickey mouse" because any setup that requires you to more or less tune by mail order, isn't tuning. I've gone that route myself and it pretty much sucks in comparison to whats available

I find it much easier and effective to control fuel and spark on the fly, on the road or on the dyno, and know its going to be "right" by the end of the day. If I want to change injectors, boost levels, etc. well thats only a few keystrokes away as well...
whipped

Post by whipped »

Honest Don wrote: I call the 7730 "mickey mouse" because any setup that requires you to more or less tune by mail order, isn't tuning. I've gone that route myself and it pretty much sucks in comparison to whats available
Well there's your problem :thumbleft:

How much is an assembled megasquirt?

$175 ostrich emulator, and a $40 junkyard ECM can do everything a megasquirt can do and more. Much, much more. Speedometer interfacing, DFCO, idle spark control, etc etc... too much to list here.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

Honest Don wrote:
AntiCooter wrote:
Jinxmutt wrote: .....
I call the 7730 "mickey mouse" because any setup that requires you to more or less tune by mail order, isn't tuning. I've gone that route myself and it pretty much sucks in comparison to whats available

I find it much easier and effective to control fuel and spark on the fly, on the road or on the dyno, and know its going to be "right" by the end of the day. If I want to change injectors, boost levels, etc. well thats only a few keystrokes away as well...
yes, understand what you are saying - but for most people - tuning is not a weekly event. which is why the 7730 works out just fine. yes, of course if you have endless tweek needs - you dont want to be burning chips non-stop. and, for the price, flexability, reliability & ease - tough to beat the 7730.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Honest Don wrote:I call the 7730 "mickey mouse" because any setup that requires you to more or less tune by mail order, isn't tuning. I've gone that route myself and it pretty much sucks in comparison to whats available

The 7730 does NOT require you to tune by mail order.
If you obtain GM OBDI tuning software like TunerCat or TunerPro, obtain the definition file for your code mask ($8D, $8F, $A1, etc.), get an EEPROM emulator and you have tune on the fly capability with an ECM and program that is MUCH more robust and capable than anything in the Megasquirt arena.

Not that there's anything wrong with MS... it's great for what it is: cheap, simple DIY engine management.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

whipped wrote:
Honest Don wrote: I call the 7730 "mickey mouse" because any setup that requires you to more or less tune by mail order, isn't tuning. I've gone that route myself and it pretty much sucks in comparison to whats available
Well there's your problem :thumbleft:

How much is an assembled megasquirt?

$175 ostrich emulator, and a $40 junkyard ECM can do everything a megasquirt can do and more. Much, much more. Speedometer interfacing, DFCO, idle spark control, etc etc... too much to list here.
an assembled MSII runs around 400 bucks, but soldering up your own really isn't that bad.

Unless that ECM is obd-II and you have the cash for HPtuners, its nowhere near to what the newer Megasquirts can do. you should read up on it sometime.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Honest Don wrote:I call the 7730 "mickey mouse" because any setup that requires you to more or less tune by mail order, isn't tuning. I've gone that route myself and it pretty much sucks in comparison to whats available

The 7730 does NOT require you to tune by mail order.
If you obtain GM OBDI tuning software like TunerCat or TunerPro, obtain the definition file for your code mask ($8D, $8F, $A1, etc.), get an EEPROM emulator and you have tune on the fly capability with an ECM and program that is MUCH more robust and capable than anything in the Megasquirt arena.

Not that there's anything wrong with MS... it's great for what it is: cheap, simple DIY engine management.

I'll have to read up on that. I'm looking at the tunercat site right now
whipped

Post by whipped »

Honest Don wrote:Unless that ECM is obd-II and you have the cash for HPtuners, its nowhere near to what the newer Megasquirts can do. you should read up on it sometime.
Trust me, I have.......

The only advantage to a Megasquirt is that it can do coil on plug and sequential injection - BUT - that "feature" isn't even available yet. The creators have been promising COP/seq for at least a couple years now.

The 7730 (and all GM PCMs) is almost unlimited in terms of features and potential. Like I said, it reads the VSS, which IMHO is key to datalogging. Also makes calibrating the speedometer a breeze. The megasquirt does not. This also means you can run into stalling on decel issues. I had that problem with the Commander 950 (basically the MS, but costs $1000 more).

RPM activated nitrous, rpm derivative spark control, decel fuel cut off, "lean cruise", emissions crap if you want it, A/C throttle kicker, fan throttle kicker... I mean the list goes on. A lot of these things are *essential* to a street driven car. You don't want to stall because your A/C just kicked on....
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

whipped wrote:RPM activated nitrous, rpm derivative spark control, decel fuel cut off, "lean cruise", emissions crap if you want it, A/C throttle kicker, fan throttle kicker... I mean the list goes on. A lot of these things are *essential* to a street driven car. You don't want to stall because your A/C just kicked on....
I haven't looked into the emissions crap because I have no reason to, but an MS2 will run spark control, IAC, your kicker(via relay of course), lean cruise, decel fuel cut, electric fans, TCC lockup, and all that other good stuff via the spare outputs. Theres a guy here in town using it for N20 and meth-injection triggering as well. I can't say either way on the VSS as I've never had to look into it
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Honest Don wrote:
whipped wrote:RPM activated nitrous, rpm derivative spark control, decel fuel cut off, "lean cruise", emissions crap if you want it, A/C throttle kicker, fan throttle kicker... I mean the list goes on. A lot of these things are *essential* to a street driven car. You don't want to stall because your A/C just kicked on....
I haven't looked into the emissions crap because I have no reason to, but an MS2 will run spark control, IAC, your kicker(via relay of course), lean cruise, decel fuel cut, electric fans, TCC lockup, and all that other good stuff via the spare outputs. Theres a guy here in town using it for N20 and meth-injection triggering as well. I can't say either way on the VSS as I've never had to look into it
MS does not have feedback IAC with stepper motor IACs like all the GM stuff. The idle control it does have is kinda hokey since it doesn't have VSS input.
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

Series8217 wrote:
Honest Don wrote:
MS does not have feedback IAC with stepper motor IACs like all the GM stuff. The idle control it does have is kinda hokey since it doesn't have VSS input.
I think it runs the IAC well enough. You just need to play with the table and figure out how many steps you need for what temp the engine is at.