Going drifting next week.

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Going drifting next week.

Post by stimpy »

Next Thursday I'm going to a night drifting event at Altanont raceway in Tracy. http://ncda.net/night_drift.html Having never intentionally put my car into a drift on public roads, what techniques should I keep in mind while trying to make a SC3800 ATX Fiero with no e-brake drift?

Anyway, looks lilke a blast, can't wait to post pics.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Open diff? Suspension mods?

You'll probably just spin your inside rear. Or your whole car.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Oh well. :afrocool: It's all good. It's not like it's televised in front of a crowd of thousands. I have doubts that I'll actually get fast enough to get the drift going, I'm pretty used to taking turns at 50-60 mph, but I don't know if I'll have the orchids to do it faster.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you can get a drift going at 10 mph if you know what you are doing.

Main thing is to keep the rpms up and drive with your right foot on the throttle.

Basically you steer with your foot.

Also you need to properly shift the weight of your car when starting a drift.

I would suggest manually shifting the car or keeping ti in first or second gear the whole time. You dont' want your tranny shifting for you in the middle of a drift. That will mess you up bad!

Just have fun. If anything you will learn how to control the car in a skid better and learn the handlign characteristics of that car on the edge. This will help with real world driving because you will then know just how far you can push it and still be safe.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't understand the whole drifting scene.

I just don't understand why you would want to set up a car with tons of oversteer, and then swing around corners burning up tires. Don't get me wrong, I know it takes alot of skill to do what they are doing (I learned about controlling slides in a Dakota and Viper @the Skip, hard stuff)

Me personally, I'd rather swing around these corners as fast as possible utilizing the full grip of all my tires and get the maximum exit speed possible.

Like I said, I guess I just don't understand it.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Well, check out the link. Altamont is a half mile paved oval with an infield track. So fo $50 I can get there at 4 in the afternoon and go be completely socially irresponsible with no fear of losing my liscense and little fear of stuffing my car til 11 at night. I do hope that I can spin the car out a few times at least. My Kumho's in the back are ready for replacing, and my dad gets wholesale...

I'm not going to do anything to modify my car to make it a "drift" car. although some of the aerodynamic stuff I've been looking at seem to be all the rage with the drift-os. I'm just gonna go burn up some nearly dead tires.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

God wrote:I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't understand the whole drifting scene.

I just don't understand why you would want to set up a car with tons of oversteer, and then swing around corners burning up tires. Don't get me wrong, I know it takes alot of skill to do what they are doing (I learned about controlling slides in a Dakota and Viper @the Skip, hard stuff)

Me personally, I'd rather swing around these corners as fast as possible utilizing the full grip of all my tires and get the maximum exit speed possible.

Like I said, I guess I just don't understand it.
It's actually not like that at all...
The D1 GTO is set up to be very stable and relies on 400++ HP to break the rear tires loose.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

In the Rules and Regulations on the website you posted above, it lists this rule:

11) Tow hooks must be present on at least one location on vehicle

Do you have a tow hook on your fiero? If so, do you have any pics of it?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Not yet. But I misread the schedule so I have another week to get ready. I'll figure something out.

Or I may just puss out entirely.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You can drag the fiero from its cradle.
Chris-Nelson wrote:In the Rules and Regulations on the website you posted above, it lists this rule:

11) Tow hooks must be present on at least one location on vehicle

Do you have a tow hook on your fiero? If so, do you have any pics of it?
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

and if they want to tow the front of your car, and you don't want your front bumper to get all fucked up? then what?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You grow a pair and tell the person with the tow truck where to drag it from. Or hook up the chain yourself.
Chris-Nelson wrote:and if they want to tow the front of your car, and you don't want your front bumper to get all fucked up? then what?
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

haha. OK.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Shit, my car runs. I don't need no steenking tow.
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

disconnect your front sway bar & put some sloppy shocks up front (or set the adjustable ones to soft). start the slide by hitting the turn hot, when the front starts coming loose, let of the gas quickly to upset the car, and be ready to nail it again & stay in it. with practice, you should be able to have the slide go back 'n forth between the front & rear sliding. just keeping the rear loose is not easy with such a short wheel base. very easy to have it just snap all the way around. :blah5:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

wtf you ever go or what?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Nah. Pussed out. And this last Thursday they had it again. Oh well. It's about a 3 hour drive up there, then an hour out to my folks or 3 hours back home. Kind of a mission. Easier to get excited about the idea of going then actually doing it. I guess there is a reason why I fit in so well in Old Europe for so long, being all talk and no action, huh?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Hey Stimp, as soon as my car runs again I'll make a trip up there to the track and force you to come along. I'll even promise to beat you up if you try to puss out again.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Deal.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

err good place for tow hooks or those ricer bolt on tow deals is on the trunk wall...look at your car from behind and bolt them on the vertical plane of the trunk. works awesome.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)