CTS-V

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Wow, that is a sweet deal. You can easily 3x or 4x your money parting it out.

How are the rims btw?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

The car is still in LA. Need to have it brought back up here. And yeah, when they told me the buyback price I had her repeat it 3 times cause I couldn't beleive that price.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Got plans for the transmission?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

S8n wrote:Here's one you should use as a template: http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/pr ... php?car=29
They do some killer stuff.
I'm not a big fan of EPP. Seems all he knows is the centrifugals, and there are far better routes to take to make a brutally fast LSX. And his installs aren't very good. I know it is the standard Procharger stuff, but after the customer gets the car, everyone wants to change the shitty components they use. And 2 months down the road, the day they have a reason to open the hood, they cut a check to APS to redo the project.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Yeah, there was a lot about that build that I didn't like (not to mention the shitty web page writing that put the same build story in the page FOUR times).

I think that the inlet ducting could have been done a lot better. Cutting the tubing back like that just doesn't make it work well. I'm not impressed with how the PCM was mounted either.

I'm not convinced that a bigger radiator was necessary, but I don't own a CTS-V, so I can't comment very much on that.

I also agree with Aaron ( :scratch: ) that centrifugals aren't the best way to do things, but I haven't studied the packaging, either, so I don't have any better suggestions.
Unsafe At Any Speed

crzyone wrote:Wow, that is a sweet deal. You can easily 3x or 4x your money parting it out.

How are the rims btw?
You know they're 6 bolt right?
Unsafe At Any Speed

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Got plans for the transmission?
Not right now.
Unsafe At Any Speed

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Yeah, there was a lot about that build that I didn't like (not to mention the shitty web page writing that put the same build story in the page FOUR times).

I think that the inlet ducting could have been done a lot better. Cutting the tubing back like that just doesn't make it work well. I'm not impressed with how the PCM was mounted either.

I'm not convinced that a bigger radiator was necessary, but I don't own a CTS-V, so I can't comment very much on that.

I also agree with Aaron ( :scratch: ) that centrifugals aren't the best way to do things, but I haven't studied the packaging, either, so I don't have any better suggestions.
Twin turbo V would be badass. There is a guy working on one now, but space is an issue.

As for the radiator, I beleive it is somewhat undersized stock. People have issues with them with stock engines.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:
crzyone wrote:Wow, that is a sweet deal. You can easily 3x or 4x your money parting it out.

How are the rims btw?
You know they're 6 bolt right?
Wow, I didn't notice. Guess I will need the brakes, hubs and rims. :thumbleft:
S8n

Post by S8n »

Aaron wrote:
S8n wrote:Here's one you should use as a template: http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/pr ... php?car=29
They do some killer stuff.
I'm not a big fan of EPP. Seems all he knows is the centrifugals, and there are far better routes to take to make a brutally fast LSX. And his installs aren't very good. I know it is the standard Procharger stuff, but after the customer gets the car, everyone wants to change the shitty components they use. And 2 months down the road, the day they have a reason to open the hood, they cut a check to APS to redo the project.
Huh? Shitty stuff from EPP or Procharger? I think your talking out of your ass on this one. APS doesn't make a kit for the V. Only one or two or the GTO people have gone from Procharger to APS.. The hard part about the V is that, as far as kits go, it's either Procharger or Magnacharger. The Magna has no top end compared to the Procharger. Yes, the intake can be better, but space is very limited, like on the GTO.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I think once the kits come out, people will flock to the turbo options. It took APS this long to get an F-body kit out, and now CF guys left and right are ditching their setups to go to APS. I wouldn't be surprised if APS gets a TT kit out within a few years for the V.

The intakes are awful on the CF, the charge piping is nearly as bad, the intercoolers are small and in a bad place, they are plagued with belt slip issues, and when all is said and done they don't really perform that well.

It isn't so much EPP's fault, it's Procharger's. But with how much an EPP install costs, I'd think he'd fix these problems on all of his installs.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Got plans for the transmission?
Not right now.

Consider selling?
S8n

Post by S8n »

Aaron wrote:I think once the kits come out, people will flock to the turbo options. It took APS this long to get an F-body kit out, and now CF guys left and right are ditching their setups to go to APS. I wouldn't be surprised if APS gets a TT kit out within a few years for the V.

The intakes are awful on the CF, the charge piping is nearly as bad, the intercoolers are small and in a bad place, they are plagued with belt slip issues, and when all is said and done they don't really perform that well.

It isn't so much EPP's fault, it's Procharger's. But with how much an EPP install costs, I'd think he'd fix these problems on all of his installs.
I didn't think APS was coming out with an CTS-V kit, but I could be wrong. EPP charges $500 for the install, which isn't too bad. All superchargers have belt slip. My stock Lightning had belt slip. The ZR1 is still gonna have belt slip, even with an 8 rib belt. In fact, all cars have belt slip, regardless of the items it drives.
I would like to see more options for the V though. It was one of the things that turned me away from it was the small market for performance stuff. Hopefully the new V will be different.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I haven't heard of anything, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they did. It just takes time, there is a ton of r/d they have to do to make a kit of that caliber.

What a waste of $500. It's a few bolts!

You're right, but the CF's in the LSX are notorious for it, and slip to the point where it costs them noticeable amounts of boost. I saw a dyno a while back of a stock Camaro with a Procharger, the guy picked up over 20whp just by going to an 8 rib setup!

The V has a small market I'll agree. But a Maggie V is no slouch, 550rwhp has got to be fun in that car! And you can always do the typical LSX build, grab a 402 with AFR heads, cam it to high heaven, put on some nice Kooks, and enjoy your 500rwhp 7,000rpm daily driver. So while the turbo market isn't there yet, it's still an LSX so the possibilities are there.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Unsafe At Any Speed

As an update...
Finally got the V back. I ended up having to get a storage garage. After the ordeal I went through to get it here (including Friday being one of the worst days I've had in a long time), I don't want to even mess with it for a little while.

I have two cars on the way to replace it:

97 Talon TSi AWD

04 CTS-V
Last edited by Unsafe At Any Speed on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You have good taste. I really want a black CTS-V. I could easily sell my CTS up here and go back into the states and buy a V. Maybe my wife will let me..... Although it would mean she has to drive a stick with a car that makes a lot of torque. Have you driven a V on snow? Just wondering how good the traction control is.
Unsafe At Any Speed

I haven't. Doesn't seem like a lot of people do on the forums either but I think that's mainly because they have other cars. I would think you'd have to drive pretty carefully though. I mean it's easy enough to break them loose on dry pavement with performance tires. But yeah, I speak from no actual experience (not counting my run in with black ice).

...My soon-to-be current car list:
'68 Corvair (sitting in a field. needs to be dealt with)
'86 Fiero (my project that hasn't been worked on for awhile)
'84 Blazer K-5 (old daily driver)
'04 CTS-V (totalled)
'84 Camry (POS 'temporary' car)
'97 Talon TSi AWD (on it's way)
'04 CTS-V (will be on its way come Monday)
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I thought I was the only person that has wayyy too many cars...

06 CTS
90 Nissan Skyline GTR
86 Northstar Fiero GT
88 Ford Crown Vic police package
95 Plymouth Neon 2 door (45k miles)
95 Ford F-150 w2d
97 Ford F-150 4x4
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I win.

Fiero
Unsafe At Any Speed

For some reason the pictures don't show up, but you can copy paste to see pictures of the Talon.