the pig rig?

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

ericjon262

Re: the pig rig?

Post by ericjon262 »

Update:
heater core was blown, got it apart to fix it, still need to finish. I'd also like to throw a new evaporator in it while I have it apart, I'd kick the shit out of myself it I tried fixing the A/c and found out it was cracked or leaked while I had it apart.

I'm also picking up another D44 front axle for it ($50!) it needs some odds and ends, but if nothing else, I can use it for a mock up for the offroad design crossover steering kit I'm looking at. I'd like to throw a locker and gears in it, and rework the hubs for 8 lug, and late model 2500 brakes so that when I pick up a donor for the DMAX, I can take those too!

I'd definitely prefer a D60 to the D44, but it's also the front axle which shouldn't see as much pain as the rear. I'm still keeping an eye out for a ford D60, mainly because they were driver side drop, like the DMAX transfer cases, which would make the transfer case aspect of the swap much easier. that being said, there's also a NP205(passenger drop) on CL right now for $250, and that's about as bullet proof of a transfer case as they come...
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

picked up some new parts today, deals so good I couldn't pass them up!

Another 10 bolt front axle, I'm going to carefully set this one up for 8 lug hubs and late model 3/4 or 1 ton brakes, and some kind of limited slip or locker if it doesn't already have one. the tag on top says it has 4.56 gears... a little extreme for me, I'll probably swap them for 3.73's or 4.10's.
rsz_img_20190202_160940.jpg
rsz_img_20190202_160940.jpg (345.88 KiB) Viewed 18576 times
and, an NP205! this is the bullet proof truck transfer case, there's also an NP203 I'm looking at to do a "doubler" and get a 4:1 low range.
rsz_1rsz_img_20190202_160914.jpg
rsz_1rsz_img_20190202_160914.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 18576 times
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Good finds!

How does the 10 bolt compare to the D44?

Doublers are pretty cool. The Atlas 4 speed is a snazzy evolution of that idea that unit that's compatible with domestic drivelines.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 pm Good finds!

How does the 10 bolt compare to the D44?

Doublers are pretty cool. The Atlas 4 speed is a snazzy evolution of that idea that unit that's compatible with domestic drivelines.
the 10 bolt and D44 are both comparable, there are weak points on the 10 bolt that aren't on the D44, and visa versa. most people say the 10 bolt is slightly stronger, but both were used under 1/2 and 3/4 ton GM 4x4's. Ideally I want a D60 for it, but I don't think I'll spring for one unless it falls out of the sky like the 205 did, I forgot to mention I paid $110 combined(the axle and the 205) for today's haul, and didn't have to pull anything! I'm trying to find out now, if a D60 uses the same knuckles as the 10 bolt/D44, it would make everything I'm doing now that much better because then I could swap it over to a D60 without having to re-engineer everything.

I'd love an atlas 4 speed, they're probably the only reasonable upgrade from what I am building now, but they're also probably about $2000 more than what I will have tied up in the 205/203 setup. all this bolted to an Allison is going to weigh half a ton! lol.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, now there's a GM dana 60 on craigslist within striking distance... hmmm. I really like the idea of bullet proof axles, and the price seems right for what I want. that being said, the guy hasn't messaged me back yet hopefully I hear from him later this week and can pick it up, as a dana 60 puts a 10 bolt or dana 44 to shame from a strength standpoint, and I think the knuckles are larger as well, which might make the late model brake swap easier.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Dana 60 front with a 10 bolt rear? Lol. :-D

Grab a QuadraSteer D60 rear to go along with it.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 pm Dana 60 front with a 10 bolt rear? Lol. :-D

Grab a QuadraSteer D60 rear to go along with it.
are you high? Lol, jk

for now, it's gonna be 10 bolt front and rear, unless I get any crazy ideas to buy a rear axle from the junkyard instead of waiting to get a donor truck. QuadraSteer would be cool, but I can only imagine the headaches involved with retrofitting it to a different vehicle. On top of that, QS was a very small market item, making finding the axle hard, and prices high. I think the rear end will just be a conventional D60 or corp 14 bolt with disc brakes, and a locker of some kind. the big reason I want to acquire a front axle now, is so that I can setup the brakes on it, and when the time comes to swap the rear, I'll have the front ready to go so the swap can be road worthy faster.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

As long as they have the same ratios, axles can be all kinds of weird. The Eagle will have a D30 front and D44 rear... that's not THAT weird, but most Jeeps with D44 rear also have D44 front.

I think I've only ever seen one or maybe two QS trucks in the wild. Snazzy idea... apparently didn't catch on with the "right" market. IE, people who tow small and medium sized trailers with their 3/4 ton single wheel trucks...

I hadn't noticed the link you posted to Precision until today. They advertise parts to put a Cummins with an Allison into a Ford pickup. If that ain't hot-rodding...

My dad installed 1 ton brakes all around on his Suburban, INCLUDING the accompanying MC and hydroboost. The Suburban apparently has enough extra weight in the back compared to a pickup that we can't get enough rear brake engagement, even with an aftermarket prop valve.

ETA: Also, there are now 11.5" 14bff's on the market. They don't have the pinion support like the 10.5's do, but they're an inch bigger. GM uses 3.73 and 4.10, but Dodge uses 3.42.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

the main thing about 60 front, is that means 8 lug front, and 10 bolts never came 8 lug for the rear. it would also be odd because the rear axle typically carries more load, so for it to be a substantially weaker axle, that would be weird.

that's an interesting observation with the 1 ton brakes.

I see the QS's every now and again, they have different bedsides, that stick out more than a regular fleetside, but less than a dually.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:00 pm
I see the QS's every now and again, they have different bedsides, that stick out more than a regular fleetside, but less than a dually.
I did not realize that about them. That was probably a big cost driver.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Well, the CL Dana 60 fell through... I'm going to keep my eyes open for one, they pop up on eBay every now and then for just over 1k, but then I have to have it shipped, which brings the total to around $1800... Hopefully I can source one locally.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

why did you have to mention QS? now I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to adapt it to my truck! I have yet to see anything bad in writing about a QS truck anywhere, in fact, many owners have said they will never buy another truck unless the option returns...

The known:

Rear steering is accomplished via an electric motor and steering rack mounted to the Dana 60 cover
will require some kind of steering angle indicator for the front wheels
will require a VSS input to the unit
tow rating are higher for QS trucks compared to regular straight axle trucks
Drastically reduced turning circle
a pushbutton mounted in cab, determines mode of operation, control is via a steering control module
the control uses two redundant inputs, if the inputs disagree, the system automatically reverts to 2WS
Turning-Circle-with-Quadrasteer.jpg
Turning-Circle-with-Quadrasteer.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 18530 times
Quadrasteer-Axle.jpg
Quadrasteer-Axle.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 18530 times
the unknown:

does the system require a BCM to communicate between the axle, 4WS module, and vehicle?
how the system would respond to oversized tires?
how far off are the leaf spring perches compared to my 88? is there room for them to be moved to accommodate, or do I need to modify the truck?

I'm going to keep all this in mind, and maybe keep an eye out for a QS donor truck, as they were offered in 3/4 ton with the duramax like I am looking for.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Cliff notes:

*Fails centered via springs in the rack
*front wheel angle is determined by a steering wheel position sensor at the base of the column
*the motor is supposedly 3 phase and drives a 45:1 gearbox
*interfaces with PCM via Class II serial link.
*it appears to also have some interface with the BCM, but I haven't seen how or what data, probably wheel speed, from the AS module? diagnostics? Hopefully I can find it on alldata when I get home.

I notice a lot of interest in swapping to QS, but many people get discouraged quickly by people saying it's not worth it. I'm not going to say it is or isn't a go, but, if I find a QS Duramax donor, I might go for it.

references:

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/articl ... eer-system
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/gmc/jr/ ... -denali-2/
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/susp ... rsion.html

Edit to add:

Most of the trucks I see on Copart, not surprisingly, are not QS. I'll keep looking for a QS Duramax, but I don't think it will be a deal breaker to have only 2WS, worst case, it gives me something to upgrade down the road.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

new shoes are on the way... hopefully...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGoodrich-A ... 1IQAvD_BwE

I didn't know those were ever made in that size, but for the price, I won't complain! those tires are also the old style AT t/a KO. note the lack of a "2" behind the KO. they're good tires, I used to run them on my old Suburban way back when. a 33 ought to look mean under this thing too! :-D

all that being said, I hope they actually have them and this isn't some kind of odd glitch...
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

well, I'm gonna call and cancel on those BFG's. the truck is getting a bit of a small direction change, still the same overall plan though. I hit a guy on craigslist up about a 3/4 ton 4x4 GMC Suburban he was parting out, and asked about the front knuckles, and rear axle, he said he wanted $400 for them, I decided I didn't want the rear axle, and asked how much for just the front end parts, and he told me he wanted $300 for the front, as we were talking, I relized that the $400 price was the whole front axle, lockout to lockout! I went ahead and bought both of them, while I was there, I saw the truck also had the big 40 gallon fuel tank! so I got him to throw that, and 5 matching wheels, with 4 hubcaps in, for a grand total of $460. the rear axle is a G80 locker, and both are geared with 4.10's. I'd have preferred 3.73's, but I think I can make this work alright.
Attachments
wheel.jpg
wheel.jpg (85.67 KiB) Viewed 18511 times
gas.jpg
gas.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 18511 times
axle2.jpg
axle2.jpg (91.58 KiB) Viewed 18511 times
axle.jpg
axle.jpg (86.66 KiB) Viewed 18511 times
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Damn. Nice haul!

9.5" 14 bolt?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Pretty sure it's a 10.5", not sure if there's an easy way to tell externally.it does need a new passenger side axle seal, and a lube change, it is a factory locker though, good because locker, bad because the gov-loc is kinda a POS, and not super durable, full of small internal parts that like to become small external parts, or so I'm told... Eventually, I'd like to swap in E-lockers like you're doing to the Eagle, but that will happen when I find a donor truck and upgrade brakes.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I'm not quite to the point of bidding on a donor truck yet, but they are out there... I really like the tan 2005, looks ideal for what I want, and I could probably drive it back to washington as is. it's almost too nice though...

https://www.copart.com/lot/28434308

https://www.copart.com/lot/57042798

https://www.copart.com/lot/26736869
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:38 pm Pretty sure it's a 10.5", not sure if there's an easy way to tell externally.it does need a new passenger side axle seal, and a lube change, it is a factory locker though, good because locker, bad because the gov-loc is kinda a POS, and not super durable, full of small internal parts that like to become small external parts, or so I'm told... Eventually, I'd like to swap in E-lockers like you're doing to the Eagle, but that will happen when I find a donor truck and upgrade brakes.
Did they build 10.5" non-floating assemblies?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:12 pm I'm not quite to the point of bidding on a donor truck yet, but they are out there... I really like the tan 2005, looks ideal for what I want, and I could probably drive it back to washington as is. it's almost too nice though...

https://www.copart.com/lot/28434308

https://www.copart.com/lot/57042798

https://www.copart.com/lot/26736869
Throw a replacement bed on the tan one and sell it