The Mule rides again (sort of) - pics.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: The Mule rides again (sort of) - pics.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I had a busy weekend, but only a little of it working on The Mule.

I read that the 3 cavity GT150 connector for the oil level switch and temp sensor had the cavity numbers marked in even tinier print than the Delphi logo... That was accurate, but jeeze, how are we supposed to see that?

I had the end wires reversed, so I swapped them.

My 8ga red, 6ga red and DR-25 was waiting for me, so I cut the 8ga to length and should be able to get the ring terminals crimped soon. I installed the 16ga red to the oil pressure sender/switch as the feed wire for fuel pump power.
Then I slipped DR-25 over all the small bundles.

Observations for bundle size vs DR-25 size.

2x 16ga: 3/16 minimum
2x 22ga: 3/16 normal
3x 22ga: 3/16 normal
2x16ga + 2x22ga: 1/4 minimum

Couple more views of the wiring coming together:

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I realized there's a catalog error associated with the alternator connector. The DCS Global catalog says the terminals that go into it are "sealed" terminals that have an extended secondary open barrel to capture individual wire seals. The alternator connector has a single cable seal for the entire connector and thus required UNsealed terminals. The unsealed terminals have shorter arms on the secondary barrel that only grab the wire insulation as opposed to the individual wire seal. Ooopsie. Also, my alternator connector came without the connector seal. I've found different ones with different holes poked in them on the internet, but I'll probably go grab one from the local junk yard at some point.

I also found that I had the terminals for the wrong gauge wire listed for the intake manifold harness connector. This is the same round connector used for the 4L80E transmission, so it and the terminals are still available. I had the terminal for 18ga wire listed for all locations, while I really only needed that terminal for 2 cavities--feeds from the fuel injector fuses--and the rest should be the terminals for 20-22 gauge wire.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Had to place my second parts order. Yeah, my goal was not to do that, but when you need the parts, you need the parts.

Along with the aforementioned error in the terminals for the alternator connector, I found that I had terminals for the wrong gauge wire listed for the C527 production break to the manifold harness. This connector is a round 20 cavity Micro-Pack 100W part also used on transmission connectors. It's a weird bird. There are terminals for 18ga wire and 20-23ga wire. I had only ordered the ones for 18ga wire. Because I'm an ass, I used two of those with 16ga wire for the injector power feeds. The rest are 20ga for the injector signals or 22ga for the MAP sensor +5/GND/Sig, so those will have to wait until next weekend when I'll have the correct terminals.

I'm reworking the original manifold harness to put the production break connector at the pulley end of the engine instead of the flywheel end. Yeah, I'm reworking it instead of building a new one. Oh well. The only wires that aren't just fine are the MAP sensor wires, which need to be lengthened a few inches. Those are standard Metri-Pack 150 push-to-seat sealed terminals, but I'll need a few more because the ones for the MAP sensor weren't part of my initial BOM.

Also doing fiddly things like putting P-clamps in the right places to control harness routing, making sure the harness and belt don't get too friendly.

Alltrbo crimped my alternator output wire for me, since I don't have tools to crimp 8ga wire, so that's the second wire in the harness that's COMPLETE!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Made great progress today.

I found that I completely failed to get 20ga ORN wire, but needed 4 circuits of it across the manifold production break and both coil pack connectors. 32 feet ordered tonight, along with 10 more feet each of 16ga BLK and 20ga PPL.

For the 16ga BLK and 20ga PPL, I am the victim of my own estimations. I needed 112 inches of 20ga PPL and only have 97 inches left. The chunk of 16ga BLK was smaller, but still only needed 112 inches. Ooops. That's my third order.

Manifold production break is populated, except for two 20ga ORN wires. The Bank 1 coil pack connector is fully populated except for 20ga ORN, while the Bank 2 connector is lacking 20ga ORN, 20ga PPL & 16ga BLK.

After completing the manifold break and the coil pack connectors, I'll only have the CTS, DBW & MAF connectors to build before I need to pull the engine off the stand and bolt up the transmission in order to build the VSS and back-up light connectors.

My manifolds are with a Cerakoter and I'll need them back to build the wiring for the O2 sensors.

I have a big bundle of wires that will go through the firewall and become a giant PITA to terminate at the ECM inside the car.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I've made harnesses two ways, from the devices to the ECU, and from the ECU to the device, I tend to prefer to work from the ECU to the device, as it seems easier to terminate 3-5 wires neatly on a connector instead of 40+ that said, sometimes it's easier to work from the device too. with your attention to detail I'm sure it will be well sorted either way.
Last edited by ericjon262 on Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I'll need to have the engine in the car to build from ECU to devices, since I'll be mounting the ECU in the stock location.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I forgot your engine is not in/near the car.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

They are right next to each other, but I'm not thinking I'll be bouncing the cradle in and out multiple times to build the harness.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:53 am They are right next to each other, but I'm not thinking I'll be bouncing the cradle in and out multiple times to build the harness.
still have some dress up to do in the engine bay before "flight install"?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:56 am
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:53 am They are right next to each other, but I'm not thinking I'll be bouncing the cradle in and out multiple times to build the harness.
still have some dress up to do in the engine bay before "flight install"?
Yeah, I need to do some hose clampery and plumbing in the engine bay. Trim the right hinge box a little further.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The throttle hose nipple diameter is 3.514". The MAF hose nipple diameter is 3.680ish. Who makes a 3 11/16" to 3 1/2" silicone reducing coupler? Lol. I snagged a 3 3/4 to 3 1/2 that looks workable when I squeeze it down on the MAF with a hose clamp, but the MAF slips out otherwise.

I had to cut this weird notch in the coupler to go on the MAF all the way

I finished the manifold production break with the 20ga ORN wires, and added the 20ga ORN to both coil pack connectors, as well as the 16ga PNK to the Bank 2 coil pack connector. The 16ga BLK is on backorder, so whenever it shows up I can finish the Bank 2 coil pack connector.
I got as far as the 3 wire CTS, which has the second wire so far going to the C500. There's not much left going to the C500 with this system.

Remaining on the engine:
Bank 2 coil pack harness 16ga BLK (1)
DBW Throttle (6)
MAF (5)
EV6 injector connectors (16)

Will need to snag manifolds back from the cerakoter before I can wire up the HO2 sensors. And of course bolt up the transmission before I can wire up the VSS and backup lights. The C6 ECM also has provision for a transmission fluid temperature sensor... Now I have to figure out how and where to install one in a 282.

Getting to be lots of wires here:

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Are you heat shrinking the entire harness?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:01 pm Are you heat shrinking the entire harness?
I will be dressing the entire harness with heat shrink tubing... I won't be intentionally shrinking it, but it may shrink depending on how much exhaust heat it sees.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Lol... step by step.

Alternator is wired up in the "hybrid" config FieroGuru did. That config sends the sense wire to the electrical center as in the Corvette, the F wire to the ECM as in the Corvette and the L wire to both the ECM as in the Corvette *AND* the dash light as in the original Fiero system. I was going to wire both L-terminal connections with 22ga TAN, but I ran out of that and stole some 22ga WHT for the stock Fiero lamp connection at C500. I was literally only about 8 inches short in the last piece on my tan wire spool.

I do not yet have the cable seal, but I have a couple of leads for different configurations of the cable seal for applications using different terminals. I may harvest one from a junk yard as well.

The MAF sensor is wired up... except for TAN 22ga. Need to order a little more of that.
I would have wired up the DBW and been very close to complete with items on the engine that the main harness connects to, but I realized I did not have the wire seals for the DBW connector. The STS throttle I'm using is weird in that it is connectorized for a TE Connectivity MQS family connector. Weird.

Order from ProWire with next batch of shrink tube is not here yet, so I've made as much progress as I can for the day. There are a couple of bolts and spacers for the engine mount bracketry that I need to dig up, as well as some small P-clamps I should have around someplace and now need for securing the coil pack connectors on the main harness.

Harness list:
-16GA BLK for bank 2 coil pack connector when backorder arrives
-22ga TAN for IAT signal wire when my next harness order arrives
-DBW wiring when I get the wire seals
-HO2S when I get manifolds back from cerakoting
-VSS & backup lights after I pull the engine off the stand to bolt up the transmission
-Canister vent & purge connections once I get the powertrain in the car and pick a canister

Samco now has a product line suitable for pure pressurized gasoline and it is available in red :-D
They can also make hose lengths longer than 1 meter, but via special order. My heater hoses have to be longer than 1m, but I need to measure exactly how long.

I have a whole raft of bits and bobs of body and engine compartment prep I can get done over Labor Day weekend... <3 Progress
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

looking forward to seeing your upcoming weekend progress!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:00 pm looking forward to seeing your upcoming weekend progress!
You don't think I'm going to get all that done this weekend, do you? :no: %) :crazy: :P
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

I can dream can't I??? If I can't make progress on my junk, I'd love to see someone else make some!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I did not devote the entire weekend to The Mule, as I have some PDH's for my PE license that I have to complete, but I did get some things done.
The 22ga TAN wire arrived, so I was able to finish wiring up the MAF. The TE wire seals arrived, so I was able to wire up the DBW throttle.
The 16ga BLK wire is still on backorder, so I have not been able to finish wiring up the Bank 2 coil connector.

MAF mounted with fancy Gates hose clamps and wired up

Developing harness around the visible rear corner of the engine

Bank 1 coil connector shrink tubed and approximately in position for a p-clamp to a convenient hole in the valve cover

Getting started dressing all the branches on the front of the engine

Quickie of how far down I was able to use 3/8" DR-25

Flash photo of the dressed harness for that area; Maybe I can join the AC pressure transducer (3/16" tubing) and the Compressor Clutch connector (3/16" tubing) in one branch of 1/4" tubing instead of two branches of 3/16" tubing. PITA at this point to do that, though.

With the alternator bracket in place to hold it down.

The one thing I'm concerned about is the sharp edge of the Cometic head gasket sticking out of the block/head interface. I will probably add some kind of edge protector to it.

Next weekend: Coil pack harnesses

Edit: Proof that Mouser will drop one dollar of wire seals in a box and ship it to you

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Also, quick shot of double stuffed terminal for the alternator; a guy I've been consulting for the wiring hates these, but GM does it:

ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Progress! I have to agree with the guy who doesn't like the double stuffed terminals, the seals aren't designed for it. if it were going on my car like that, I would consider putting some silicone grease in the connector to act as a backup for the seal.

what all is left on the list before "first fire"?