The Mule rides again (sort of) - pics.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: The Mule rides again (sort of) - pics.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Custom Connector Kits recommended a GEP Power Distribution Module (PDM) as being more flexible and easier to integrate than the Delphi electrical center. He didn't have the Delphi/Aptiv drawing either.

https://www.customconnectorkits.com/gep-pdm-standard/

Modern automotive relays are "ISO 280" relays with 2.8mm wide pins that are compatible with Metricpack 280 sockets. The GEP PDMs just have a grid of cavities for Metri-pack 280 sockets that can accept ISO 280 relays or ATM fuses.

Since I only need three relays (and want to have one spare socket) and five fuses (and want to have a couple of spare sockets), the GEP PDMs could work, but I do like the idea of using the same electrical center that GM sends with their crate engines.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:39 pm Custom Connector Kits recommended a GEP Power Distribution Module (PDM) as being more flexible and easier to integrate than the Delphi electrical center. He didn't have the Delphi/Aptiv drawing either.

https://www.customconnectorkits.com/gep-pdm-standard/

Modern automotive relays are "ISO 280" relays with 2.8mm wide pins that are compatible with Metricpack 280 sockets. The GEP PDMs just have a grid of cavities for Metri-pack 280 sockets that can accept ISO 280 relays or ATM fuses.

Since I only need three relays (and want to have one spare socket) and five fuses (and want to have a couple of spare sockets), the GEP PDMs could work, but I do like the idea of using the same electrical center that GM sends with their crate engines.

thats a good website to know about! they look like they have everything!

I was recently turned onto these:

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produ ... ts_id/1721

it's a combo MAP/IAT sensor, I ordered 2 and the pigtails, I'll have one pre intercooler, and one post.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:45 pm
thats a good website to know about! they look like they have everything!

I was recently turned onto these:

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/produ ... ts_id/1721

it's a combo MAP/IAT sensor, I ordered 2 and the pigtails, I'll have one pre intercooler, and one post.
Snazzy find... are you running a MAF?
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

Not currently running one, I have debated installing one in the intake tract when the engine is out next time though, which is when I would install these.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

ericjon262 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:43 am Not currently running one, I have debated installing one in the intake tract when the engine is out next time though, which is when I would install these.
I ask because MAFs typically incorporate IAT sensors.
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:25 am Helped a few friends with a few things on Saturday.
Also, my dad owns a '73 GMC Motorhome that was my Uncle's, until he passed away in 2017.
It doesn't run well and the distributor has been seized in the block. We pulled the intake manifold for access to the distributor to start working on removing it. It's an OldS(*) 455 w/ TH425 trans.

(*)OldSlomobile
In other news, the distributor came out without too much trouble once we built a custom pry-bar to deal with it.
Since the vehicle is a '73, it had a small cap distributor. Large cap HEIs came out in '74. My dad has such a distributor that will go back into the engine. What we do not have is the off-center air cleaner base that GM used with the HEI because the concentric air cleaner base used with the small cap distributor interferes with the large cap HEI.

I want to do a Duramax/Allison in the thing, but that "requires" buying a $3000 LF72 transfer case/U-drive gearbox and figuring out what front diff I can use.

Of course I haven't gotten my wire list done yet and tonight and tomorrow night I'm going to be helping friends with homeowner(*) stuffs, so I won't get the harness materials delivered by the weekend. I'm going to be in POR-15 prison this weekend anyway.

I'm probably going to order the Delphi electrical center, but I need to make sure I can order all the relevant parts shown in the catalog. Since the drawing is not easy to find, I'll probably need to have that in hand to get the terminal names before I can complete the wire list.

(*) Ho-meow-ner
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Just ordered a Delphi/Aptiv 12110594 modular electrical center. It's small and holds 4 micro-relays and 6 mini-fuses. I ordered the component, terminal lock, spring latches and top cover. I also ordered the base, but that was backordered. I ordered from Mouser since CustomConnectorKits does not list it, and Mouser showed up on DuckDuckGo.

Once I have those parts in hand, I'll evaluate what terminals I'll need to order. There's a combination of 280, 480 and 630 terminals required, and I need to figure out how I'll be populating it.

With the modular electrical center family, I can upgrade from a 1-way base to a 3- or 4-way base and add modules, should I discover the need to upgrade. The catalog does not show a 2 way base, which is interesting.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Catching up on photos:

Junction block:

Starter cable crimped:

Whole starter cable:

Check out this really awesome throttle adapter that somebody made!

The tensioner mounting bolt is snugly nested into a casting feature on the head:

Prototype alternator rear mount:

I have not been able to test it with belt tension yet, but it's probably ok. I'll trim it down a good bit, as well as open up the OE bracket around the power stud.

Crank pulley in place with ARP bolt & GM washer:

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Modular Electrical Center module:

Starter cable installed:

Split convoluted tubing:

The way the junction block works with the manifold in place:

The lavender wire is the crank wire. I'll put a single pin Metri-pack 630 connector in the middle of it, and terminate the other end in the C500 connector once the powertrain is in the vehicle.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ordered the terminals for the electrical center today. Fussing through that list was annoying. The relays take Metri-Pack 480 control pins for 18-20ga wire and Metri-Pack 630 pins for the switched circuit. The electrical center page specifically called out 480 *RELAY* terminals, which are slightly different than the standard 480 female terminals. The same page did not specifically call out 630 standard vs relay terminals, so I ordered both. Four of each set are for 16ga wire for the A/C Comp and Fuel Pump relays. However, the PowerTrain relay gets a single 10ga input and dual 12ga outputs, so I had to order ONE of each of those terminals.

The fuse area uses two rows of Metri-Pack 280 "bus bar" terminals for the input side of the fuses and standard 280 female terminals on the output side. The bus bar terminals are only available from Mouser in a string of 20, so I had to get that when I need two strings of 3 each, for 12ga wire, to work with the dual 12ga wires coming off the PowerTrain relay.

Then I need five 280 female terminals for the five fuses.

So, yeah, fussy. Now that I have that figured out, I should be able to finish the wire list and get the main shipment of harness parts ordered.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I got a large diameter tensioner pulley selected over the weekend. I didn't measure, but it looks like it's 3.25" or so. That's above my arbitrary target of 3" for idler and tensioner pulleys to keep their speeds down. It just barely fits with the current belt.

Since my accessory drive looks basically final, I tore it down so I could POR-15 the bracket along with my intermediate axle bracket, pieces of my house, parts of the engine cradle where the 20 year old powder coating is peeling and some touch up spots on The Mule's tub that I'd missed previously.

I have Navy duty the next two weekends. I'm thinking that over Memorial Day weekend, I'll get the engine and transmission assembled and on the cradle. I'll put the powertrain up on a heavy duty cart I've been using as a workbench so that it's at a good height for working on wiring. I also need to snag updated glamo(u)r photos that actually include the Cometic head gasket envelope.

I also need to trim the alternator rear adapter and mod the alternator rear bracket to open up space around the output stud.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Backordered terminals from Mouser arrived yesterday.
I have been slammed with other stuff and have not been able to finish the updated wire list yet.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Mouser has been sending me emails about the backordered electrical center base, so that should be here soon.

I trimmed the alternator rear mount adapter and notched the Caddy bracket to make space for the alternator output stud... but didn't get any pics.
I also re-installed the now-painted accessory bracket and chased the POR-15 out of the threads for the tensioner and idler pulley bolts... but didn't get any pics.

Next time I should be able to do for realz assembly with anti-seize and a torque wrench.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Why is it hard to find the pinout of an ISO 280 Relay?

Dug these up... need to make sure I have them handy when building the harness

Control +12V to pin 86, Control GND to pin 85
+12V high current to pin 30, Switched output on pin 87

ISO 280 Relay Pinout
ISO 280 Relay Pinout
ISO280Relay.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 11520 times
DIN Relay wiring
DIN Relay wiring
Automotive-Relay-Diagram.jpg (42.85 KiB) Viewed 11518 times
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:41 am Why is it hard to find the pinout of an ISO 280 Relay?

Dug these up... need to make sure I have them handy when building the harness

Control +12V to pin 86, Control GND to pin 85
+12V high current to pin 30, Switched output on pin 87
Does anyone here know the logic behind the terminal numbering? I've never understood the seemingly random numbers used on relays.
pmbrunelle

Post by pmbrunelle »

ericjon262 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:09 pm Does anyone here know the logic behind the terminal numbering? I've never understood the seemingly random numbers used on relays.
It's not random.

Refer to the DIN 72552 standard, which attempted to standardize all terminal numbers in a car:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_72552
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

pmbrunelle wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:00 pm
ericjon262 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:09 pm Does anyone here know the logic behind the terminal numbering? I've never understood the seemingly random numbers used on relays.
It's not random.

Refer to the DIN 72552 standard, which attempted to standardize all terminal numbers in a car:
"seemingly random". I had never heard of that particular standard, thanks for sharing.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

pmbrunelle wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:00 pm
It's not random.

Of course I ran across mention of the DIN standard in looking up relay pinouts, but didn't think a lot of it, assuming that all DIN standards were obsolete in favor of ISO standards that say the same thing. I didn't know it tried to deal with the entire car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I got a bunch of work done to the wire list on Sunday. I'm in L.A. for two weeks for work, and hung out with Steven on Saturday.
I have almost all the wires figured out; I'm filling in connector and terminal PNs now. If I did a good job, I should be able to use the wire list spreadsheet to generate a BOM and just place one big order. We'll see how close I get.

I'm looking at replacing the weird fragile 14 pin C203 connector with something else... ideally a 16 pin GT series connector pair.
I need to add a C204 connector, probably exactly the same as the C203 replacement, but with the genders on opposite sides of the interface. That will carry the 6 wires for the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor and four wires for the cruise control switches.

C203 info:
http://www.gmtuners.com/files/Fiero_C20 ... inouts.pdf

Images from:
https://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/139530.html#p11

Oooops... Cliffy is still sore about RFT.

To Do for wire list:

=>Verify that a 150 series connector can handle enough current to replace the C203 (or if not find an appropriate connector pair)
==>A/C Clutch current
==>Fuel pump current (TWICE!)
==>ECM power
==>Injector power no longer goes through C203, as that's provided via the PowerTrain relay in my new electrical center

=>Verify which gender the engine-side C203 is so I can duplicate that in GT150 (GT280?) connectors (Female terminals on engine side?)

=>Add the opposite gender for the C204 connector

=>Alternator wiring
=>ECM power & grounds
==>Want to get to the point at which just harness grounds are TBD
=>Oil pressure gauge output from ECM
=>Oil pressure transducer signal pin
=>Oil level switch/temp sender
[EDIT]=>ALDL/OBDII connector

=>Comb the DCS catalog to determine other connector part numbers for sensors and controls (Manifold harness female connector, 8x coil pack connector, 2x triangle connector, AMP throttle body connector, round oil pressure switch/sender connector, alternator connector, A/C compressor connector, O2 Sensor connectors)

BOM:
Connectors:
For every unique originating or terminating reference designator, count a use of the corresponding connector part number
List part numbers required and quantity of each

Terminals:
Count every use of every part number
list part numbers used and quantity of each

Remove duplicate lines so that BOM formulas calculate correctly; Fuse A terminals under Electrical Center & Fuse B terminals under their load paths

How to count multi-stuffed pins? Same as connectors in that duplicates don't get counted? Every terminal should have a unique origination or termination
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

There's a 16 pin 150/280 mixed connector available, the 280 pins should be able to handle fuel pump current, but why not "hotwire" it?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

"Hotwire"? What are you referring to in this case?

I'm going to be thumbing through the Delphi Global Connection Systems catalog to get the connector body PNs and verify terminal PNs anyway, so I'll keep an eyeball peeled for the mixed size connectors.