Aluminum crank pulley

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Snowcrash

Aluminum crank pulley

Post by Snowcrash »

Anyone used an aluminum crank pulley like the ones available from http://www.fastfwdperformance.com ? I know there is alot of talk surrounding underdrive pulleys. My question here is specifically relating to the aluminum crank pulleys. Has anyone here used one? Assuming the engine is neutrally balanced.. should the reduced weight (and dampening) be a real concern? does the weight savaings actually result in more available HP?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

That pulley is made for serpantine systems like the 3Xoo's. That also doubles as a harmonic balancer if I am not mistaken.

If you are looking for a UP for a fiero application then you would just need the pulley. You can get that from the FIero Store. $90 I think.

I have one on my car. It weighs less then the stock steel pulley so it will help. You wont' feel it but it will show in track times. I picked up about .2 in the qtr with it, and banditbalz also here picked up a few tenths as well.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Snowcrash

Post by Snowcrash »

OK, I think I follow. The pulley fastfwd shows is a combo dampner and pulley for the serpintine setups. So even if it did fit the engine, I would still need a pulley bolted onto this dampner/pulley. Now it looks to me like the fiero setuphas a four bolt pulley bolted to the dampner, and this combo pulley/dampner only has 3 bolts. So it would get me nowhere. is this correct?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

yes that would get you nowhere.

Get a pulley from the Fiero store.
Snowcrash

Post by Snowcrash »

Thanks, I'll head that direction :)
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I have one on my car. It weighs less then the stock steel pulley so it will help. You wont' feel it but it will show in track times. I picked up about .2 in the qtr with it, and banditbalz also here picked up a few tenths as well.

Dude... .2 is like 20 HP... from a pulley? riiiiight...

Well... prolly less than 20 HP to go from 15.4 to 15.2, but I still doubt .2 from just a pulley.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Hey man I am just letting you know. :dontknow:

I didn't notice big changes off the bottle. On the bottle is where I saw the .2 faster and about 1mph.

I have all my old timesheets. I dont' know what mods I had on each timesheet but I think it would be easy to guess.

My 14.1 was with ported stock manifolds, the pulley K&N filter, ignition and the 70 shot Thats it. Not sure on mph but either 90 or 91

My mph started at around 89 and finished with a highest of 91.XX or abouts. I can dig them all out if you care enough.

Trap speed shows gains in hp. E.T is more on launch and track conditions at the time.

90 mph trap is low for a 14.1 The car was pretty much all 1/8th mile. Auto tranny really hurt it up top. I only gained 15 mph on the last half of the track and 75 mph on the first half. Tranny shifted to 3rd at about 76ish or so I think