CAI's

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

CAI's

Post by AkursedX »

Why is it that the first thing that everyone seems to do as far as modding their car is installing a CAI?

I swear, for the most part, CAI's are one of the stupidest wastes of money for most vehicles, especially for the Fiero. Not only they are a waste of money, they let alot of extra dangerous crap flow into your engine.

Ok, a CAI in theory is supposed to bring in colder air, more of it, and supply more power. Let me explain why this does not work in a Fiero. #1, that little outlet in side of the car already takes the coldest air possible. So that kills the colder part of the equation. #2 The bottleneck that is in the neck of the intake is so restrictive, that unless you are using boost, there is no way you will be able to force more air out of it.

The one restricitve part on the Fiero that I do recommend getting rid of is that stupid water seperator, that actually is a restriction. Replacing that, tossing in a K&N and maybe adding a holley-style scoop will get you as much flow as a CAI, at it will be better in preventing unwanted particles.

Now in some cases a CAI is not a bad idea. Like if you're building a balls-to-the wall performance car, then yeah, go for it. Or if you're driving something like a Celica GTS which has the worlds worst airbox, then yeah, you will actually get a decent amount of power increase.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

Its because 99% of Fiero's that are modified are ricers. CAI, rims and exhaust. Sounds like rice to me. But because they're "Fieros" theres no way they can be rice. They have the "balls to back up the look" what a wank. Unless its modified its balls slow. Shit, the fastest is running high 14's. Sure thats kinda quick, but my friends stock, 1.8ltr integra runs 14.6's all day. Dumbasses.
Gods motor is in my Fiero.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I had a CAI on the m3 ,. Swapped it back to the Stock box witht he bafffles Removed... Quite noticeable Difference in low end torque.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

THE PUNISHER wrote:I had a CAI on the m3 ,. Swapped it back to the Stock box witht he bafffles Removed... Quite noticeable Difference in low end torque.
In a positive or negative way?
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Oh , a Definite Improvement over the CAI . Car pulls a lot harder down low.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.