Need crank CL

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Need crank CL

Post by crzyone »

Hey, need to know where the stock 2.8's crank is located on the cradle. Measuring from the top of the front cradle mount would probibly be the easiest measurement. Would probibly be easier for someone with their motor outside of the car.

Building motor mounts for my N* today, just need to make sure I'm centered.

Thanks!
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

wtf are you talking about.

Can't you eyeball it to make sure the engine and tranny are centered and perpindicular to the cradle?

if it will help line up the tranny axle shaft holes with the little curves in the cradle for the axles majigies.

See man this is why I told you to get the tranny mounted with the brackets. Then all you have to do is bolt the engine to the tranny and then you can easily eyeball the engine on the cradle to make sure its nice and square.

Ps. I am going to copyright "axles majigies"
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I'm working on engine mounts today, it would be nice to know the location of the crank for that purpose. I will get the brackets from RD tomorrow with some poly mounts for the trani. :la:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I still dont' understand why you need to know where its at.

enlighten me please
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well, the cradle isn't straight so if my crank was too far forward or back then my motor mounts would bave been off as well. I didn't weld anything today so it really doesn't matter all that much.

The motor is so wide, I just don't want to mess up and have the heads hit the firewall or trunk.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

well your new crossbeam that you welded in was welded in on a 90 degree angle to the outer arms right?

if so then just line up the tranny with what looks to be the proper location, and then sight down the fwd valve cover and get it parallel to the new crossbeam.

I wouldn't weld anything till you get that tranny bracket in or weld up the front(firewall) mount first.

When me and jon did his, we put the engine and tranny in the cradle, and to the new crossbeam we mounted the factory engine bracket to the crossbeam, bolted it down but not super tight to allow us to make minor adjustments. We then shifted the engine back and forth to make sure everything was square and lined up on in the cradle area. made up a front mount over the A arm area, then did up the tranny mounts.

If you get rodneys brackets then you will have at least one mount on the tranny for reference, you can then eyeball the rest.

If you get the tranny in the right spot with the engine bolted to it and mounted straight you wont' have any clearence problems.

Ifyou are worried about it, make a few tack welds for the mounts and lift it up into the car and see if you clear everything.

We didn't do that with Jon's. We just eyeballed the engine on the cradle to make sure everything looked straight, welded it up, then lifted the engine and cradle into the car. Cleared everythign, but had about 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearence on the strut tower. Jon has pics, not sure what he did with them thoguh.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I will only get Rodney's rear trani bracket and poly mount since I was an idiot and chopped the entire stock front cross member. It will give me a good refrence point and I can pivot on that mount and eyeball the motor as close as possible.

The mounts were my biggest worry about this swap but they are easier to make than I thought.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Saw your post on Pffiffle. Sorry I didn't get that to you in a timely manner.