11 1/4" brake upgrade INFO & SPECS

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Ultimate 85
Location: Chained up & locked in a box. Sinking to the bottom of a lake

11 1/4" brake upgrade INFO & SPECS

Post by Ultimate 85 »

Ok, I haven't seen too many threads on here about the lebaron brake upgrade. I'd like to gather some info on it and put it in common place where people can use it for a reference when getting parts together. Jump in and correct me if I'm wrong or to add anything I've missed (and most likely have. ).

Parts needed:

Front calipers: '83 - 94 S10 Blazer (4WD)
-CarQuest P/N 18-4129 left & CarQuest P/N 18-4128 right (unloaded)
-loaded caliper P/N's are 16-4128(9) for right and left

* also read that '85 Seville caliper is same P/N as blazer

Rear calipers: '80 - 85 Cadillac Seville CarQuest P/N 18-4138, rebuilt & CarQuest P/N 18-4139 Rear Caliper, rebuilt

*These calipers must be identified with casting Nos. 020 and 021

Master cylinder: CarQuest P/N 2218 Master Cylinder, (92-94 Chev/GMC Blazer/Jimmy) Aluminum, 1.125" bore

Rotors: Raybestos P/N 7993 11.260" Vented Rotors (rear, 89-94 Chrysler LeBaron) Will front rotors from the same vintage car work as well?

Of course you'll also need to make up a set of caliper adapter brackets & gather all the other odds and ends. The link below has the bill for the rest of the materials.
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.cole/f ... t/walt.htm

Since the inception of this package I think a few other members (Will, Kohburn) have made revisions/improvements to this upgrade so I don't know how accurate the materials list and drawings are after any changes.

Anyway, I'll :stfu: now. :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Where'd you read this info?
Give credit where it is due.

These are the two threads in which I've posted that info.
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/048271.html
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=285

You're pretty much correct... I just have a small correction to make to the application...
The S10 is a pickup truck. The Blazer based on the same frame is called a "T10".

The issue of front vs rear rotors is discussed on the Pfiffle thread.
Ultimate 85

Post by Ultimate 85 »

Should have mentioned the credit thing too. Sorry guys. Creds to Zettner guy, Kohburn & most definently Will. Whew, & and anyone else I may have missed. No harm or disrespect intended. :salute:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

awww... Spanks! :love4:
Ultimate 85

Post by Ultimate 85 »

Whew! close one, I can go on living again. (pulls gun out of mouth)

:thumbup:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Better give credit to the worlds strongest man or he will break you.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

one update - the front calipers can also come from the 85 seville - same part # as the blazer

when i ordered mine i just got the fronts and rears from an 85 seville

oh yeah and you can use the stock length hoses with them.. I have the stock rubbers on mine right now - will upgrade later
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

How does this swap compare to the 12" corvette swap price wise and braking wise?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

You mean the one that bubbajoe proposes?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

ok, yes.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I would surmise that they would be more or less the same for "braking power" with stopping distance with either being more a function of the tire compound and width. The 12" system would probably exhibit greater fade resistance. The weight would probaby be a wash as the greater weight of the 12" rotors would be offset by the aluminum calipers.

The 11.25" system is definitely cheaper, as it does not use Corvette parts.
Also, for a bit more money it can be upgraded with Wilwood or SSBC aluminum calipers and definitely have a weight advantage.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice, maybe I should be considering the LeBaron swap instead then. Anything is better than the stock non vented fiero brakes, they are a joke.
Ultimate 85

Post by Ultimate 85 »

crzyone wrote: Anything is better than the stock non vented fiero brakes, they are a joke.
I use my rotors for ashtrays. The calipers make good doorstops.

"It's a good thing."
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I've already got the Beretta vented discs front and rear. Are these substantially better then those?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

stimpy wrote:I've already got the Beretta vented discs front and rear. Are these substantially better then those?
aren't the berretta brakes just a vented disk the same diameter as the stock 9.25" brakes? with the lebaron brakes you move the caliper almost 25% farther from the axle -
Pyrthian

Post by Pyrthian »

I do beleive your chain has been yanked. :bootyshake:
Beretta brakes is just another name for GrandAm brakes.....
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Beretta, Grand Am, whatever. Would you feel better if I said Grand Am? I know they're the same fucking car. :knob:

So the caliper is farther out, but is the surface of the piston any larger? Is the caliper itself larger? The rotors themselves have no problem dissipting heat, and they've seemed to do well for me. I'd like the looks of bigger rotors in my wheels, but if there is no complelling reason to want the caliper farther away from my axle it seems like kind of a hair shirt for me.

I want the 12" Wilwoods from HMS :sex:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

with larger rotors - the calipers don't have to squeeze as hard to apply the same torque

its having a cheaper pipe on the end of a wrench
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I've done the 12" as can be seen at the other place. I also have the 11.25 on my 84, but that has an 88 cradle, and so I'm in the process of trying to get the 12" adapters so I can use the vette rotors back there too. The 12" was a bit more work to install, and a bit more money.

For everyday driving, besides the WOW factor, I would probably do the 11.25 again before I did the 12". If you are lookin for the whole 'race' thing, there are better rotors available for the 'vette swap, better pads, and you can use a MC that was designed to be mated to those parts, where as the Blazer still isn't 'right' as far as I'm convinced. I'm actually considering using the vette MC for my 84 rather than the blazer...
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

You know what it does, it lowers the line pressure from the master cylinder to the caliper, because of the increase in mechanical advantage on the rotor.

Big deal. If you have trouble pushing the pedal down, work out. If you want to decrease stopping distances, put better rubber and brake pads on the car.
stimpy wrote: So the caliper is farther out, but is the surface of the piston any larger? Is the caliper itself larger? The rotors themselves have no problem dissipting heat, and they've seemed to do well for me. I'd like the looks of bigger rotors in my wheels, but if there is no complelling reason to want the caliper farther away from my axle it seems like kind of a hair shirt for me.