Flat Engines?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

teamlseep13

Flat Engines?

Post by teamlseep13 »

Hey guys, new here, looking for info on installing a boxed-type engine in a fiero. Anyone tried this? I was thinking either a Subaru flat 4 or a Boxster engine. I know width is gonna be the limiting factor, just curious if anyone has tried this.
Great forum, thanks.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Why would you bother with the expense / hassle of doing that when there is a million engine options for a fiero that will get you everything your looking for performance wise.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Yeah, I guess that would be more the question then can you, is should you. Anything can be done if you have enough money to throw and the right people to throw it at. An STi engine would be pretty crazy, but to answer your question I personally have no answers for you.

But welcome anyhow.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Well, sure there are all types of engine swaps already done but I just like doing things different. Plus the inherent balance of boxer engines plus the sound of them is just amazing!
Ya an STi engine would be so fun, but I guess until I get some width measurements from a boxer engine I will be in the dark. Thanks guys.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Are you thinking of a transverse application, or inline? If cardealer could put a nasty big block on a toranado axle, you might be able to to find a ZF Pantera tranny. Like I said, How much money do you want to throw?
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Oh i wanna mouth it longitudinatlly with a 6 speed transaxle like the Boxster has. I am going to my friends tomorrow to measure the Boxster S engine width.
If worse comes to worse and the strut towers get in the way, I may just scrap them and do a full double wishbone IRS.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Ooh. That does sound sexy. Do you have picks of what you're working with so far? I know that there are members here who have Subies. I'd imagine, though, that doing some searching on WRX websites and forums might yeild you better results. As far as incorporating it into the Fiero, we'll see what we can do to assist.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

prior to 2000 subaru did have a FWD tranny available -

mate that up to a WRX engine and it should fit on the fiero craddle
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

Kohburn wrote:prior to 2000 subaru did have a FWD tranny available -

mate that up to a WRX engine and it should fit on the fiero craddle
The potential problem with that is that the motor hangs in front of the transaxle. When you line up the axles on the cradle the front of the engine may want to be in the passenger compartment.

Not trying to shoot the idea down, just pointing out some problems you'll need to overcome so you won't be at a dead end when / if you hit them.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

yeah length is still a potential issue - but its a better option than the VW/914 tranny
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Ya length isn't what I am worried about, if people fit SBC's attached to Porsche G50 transaxles longitudinatlly in a slightly stretched Lambo/Fiero kit car then I think this should fit.
I was measuring widths and got about 36" from cam cover to cam cover on the Boxster engine just using a crappy tape measure. Its hardly 32 between the strut towers, which means I will probably need to cut the strut towers out and relocate, or just build a tube frame subframe for the rear that will hold the engine, transaxle and an IRS double wishbone so no large, annoying strut towers are in the way.
I am going to get some more accurate measurements this weekend I think.
As for the Subaru engine, I will do some WRX forum searches for dimensions and tranny options.
I will try to get pics taken this weekend and posted next week, but fucking hell is making me work two 11 hour shifts this weekend. Say hellow to Rockstar and Redbull. Ciao
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Go do it and let us know how it goes.

Do you even have the money for a flat 4 and tranny swap from a scooby?

If not why bother asking?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

That's rude.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I was going to post something not so blunt. I hate to do it as I'm a team sleep fan. I went to see them in concert when they were in philly and I also had the thought, "how could I get this turbo boxer engine into a fiero" when doing an oil change this weekend in my legacy.

but once you start cutting strut towers and fabbing your own suspension, why even use a fiero? Seriously. Just buy the boxster.
stimpy wrote:That's rude.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

May be rude but he has a point.

"Im a starving college student and want to bolt a helicopter engine into my fiero...Will it fit? Im saving my allowance up to buy a crashed helicopter but need to know the measurements first..."

Sounds like a first post at Old Europe
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I just think it. We all do. I don't think it needs to be said. Now, if I can't see pics, then I get cranky.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

Rude or not, its no big deal. If it doesn't work then it doesn't. And yes i do have the funds.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

eHoward wrote:I was going to post something not so blunt. I hate to do it as I'm a team sleep fan. I went to see them in concert when they were in philly and I also had the thought, "how could I get this turbo boxer engine into a fiero" when doing an oil change this weekend in my legacy.

but once you start cutting strut towers and fabbing your own suspension, why even use a fiero? Seriously. Just buy the boxster.
stimpy wrote:That's rude.
yeah I thought about it after pulling my legacy engine to do head gaskets
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Since the Fiero's engine compartment is wider at the bottom than the top, I don't think the length of the engine will be an issue. After all, it's only 2 cylinders long. A FWD conversion on the transmission would give a mid-engine transaxle, but that might require modification to the bottom center of the trunk well for clearance (which has obviously been done).
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Since the Fiero's engine compartment is wider at the bottom than the top, I don't think the length of the engine will be an issue. After all, it's only 2 cylinders long.
I'll have a 2.5 RS rally car in the shop this week so I'll take some measurements.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA