Flat Engines?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

I was thinking about this too. My idea would be to get the whole drive train and suspension from an STI and make the Fiero chasis fit it. It certainly would involve a lot of work and money but it is possible in my opinion. The bottom line is that you would end up with an AWD Fiero that has 300 HP, better suspension, and better brakes. It probably would make the car handle differently for sure, but you could put the gas tank in the rear and give yourself a bigger trunk while you are at it. :thumbleft:
I treat others as they treat me
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Dirty Sanchez wrote:I was thinking about this too. My idea would be to get the whole drive train and suspension from an STI and make the Fiero chasis fit it. It certainly would involve a lot of work and money but it is possible in my opinion. The bottom line is that you would end up with an AWD Fiero that has 300 HP, better suspension, and better brakes. It probably would make the car handle differently for sure, but you could put the gas tank in the rear and give yourself a bigger trunk while you are at it. :thumbleft:
at that point i'd rather just have the sti
Dirty Sanchez

Post by Dirty Sanchez »

I like the Fiero looks better. :la:
I treat others as they treat me
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Dirty Sanchez wrote:I was thinking about this too. My idea would be to get the whole drive train and suspension from an STI and make the Fiero chasis fit it. It certainly would involve a lot of work and money but it is possible in my opinion. The bottom line is that you would end up with an AWD Fiero that has 300 HP, better suspension, and better brakes. It probably would make the car handle differently for sure, but you could put the gas tank in the rear and give yourself a bigger trunk while you are at it. :thumbleft:

Unless you can come up with a reverse rotation kit for that engine, the Subaro AWD will not work in a Fiero chassis.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

i think i'm going to swap a diablo VT drivetrain in. :fart:
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

I don't wnana get rid of the mid engine, I just want a boxer engine in back instead of the inlines and v's people normally put in the Fiero.
AWD? Naw, not unless you will be rally racing its just not as fun as a rear wheel layout.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I want to say V8Mikie here has done an AWD Fiero with an aztek drivetrain.

He is your man!!! :thumbleft:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: Unless you can come up with a reverse rotation kit for that engine, the Subaro AWD will not work in a Fiero chassis.
notice he said bigger trunk - pretty sure he meant to convert the fiero to front engine awd
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Kohburn wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Unless you can come up with a reverse rotation kit for that engine, the Subaro AWD will not work in a Fiero chassis.
notice he said bigger trunk - pretty sure he meant to convert the fiero to front engine awd
Bleh... Why da phuck would you want to do that?
Hello front weight bias.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Kohburn wrote:
Bleh... Why da phuck would you want to do that?
Hello front weight bias.
thats why I said at that point i'd rather just have the subaru

its not my swap - I like rwd, wouldn't mind a redesigned front suspension though
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

Doug Chase wrote:I'll have a 2.5 RS rally car in the shop this week so I'll take some measurements.
And here they are. The car I measured is a 2000 Impreza RS 2.5. These measurements will be the same for just about any 4-cyl Subaru.

I used two primary measuring references. The axle centerline (where the axles pass through the transaxle) and the crankshaft centerline. You would be safe to assume a margin of error of +/- 1" on all measurements. It's tough to measure accurately when the motor is in the car and the bottom is covered up with a skid plate.

Crankshaft centerline to axle centerline (crank is higher): 4"
Axle centerline to front of front pulley: 30"
Crank centerline to top of alternator pulley (which is directly above crank pulley): 9"

Axle center to the back of the FWD portion of the trans: 14.5"
Transaxle height at rear of FWD portion: 6.5" above axle centerline

Overall width is 31"
The crank angles uphill towards the front of the motor at about 9 degrees.

If any of these don't make sense I can explain further or draw a picture. I can't promise crayons, though.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA