How reliable is your swap?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

How reliable is your swap?

Post by stimpy »

It seems that within the past couple of years, everyone and their cousin is doing some sort of swap. I'm just wondering what kind of mileage others have put on their cars since the swaps were completed, and what kind of bugs had to be ironed out along the way.

Here's my car's Curriculum Vitae.
Built in late 1997 by ACE, now defunct. I believe this to be one of, if not the first Series II Supercharged 3800 swaps ever done. I have documentation on the date, so I'd really be interested in finding an earlier one. The powerplant used was from a 97 Bonneville SSEi that had been torn down for QC off of the assembly line with zero miles. A Corvette fuel pump is installed.

The car had 130,000 miles on it at the time of the swap. The front and rear suspensions were also rebuilt at the time, and poly bushings installed. The exhaust sytem was only cat and resonators.

The car has definately had issues over the years. Due to poor mounts, the exhaust broke and the transmission had to be replaced at 30,000 miles with a new 4T65HD. The car has spent quite a bit of time at West Coast Fieros having corrections made to ACE's work, namely, relocation of the coil pack to adjacent to the battery, fabrication of torque strut engine mount, heat sheild installations, exhaust system replacement with headers and muffler.

As of today, the car is at 199,980 miles. That's an average of 10,000 miles a year for 70,000 miles on this swap.
CAN3800SC
cant get enough of this site!

Post by CAN3800SC »

Here's my car's info: phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=434

So far the engine has just under 6000km on it, and I have experienced my share of grief.......here's a list:

-runs too much boost.
-blew 2 alternators in 3 weeks this summer (WTF)
-waterpump pulley is a smidgen too small, so at 6000rpm the belts make a nasty (but not unhealthy) noise. May not have the space needed to get a larger one.
-Burns oil (have no place to figure out why thus far)
-I get worse gas mileage than a 2.8.
-Still runs a bit hot.

It still runs ok, the oil burning is minimal but still a problem. It has alot of power but I'm sure it could have more. I have 2 small rads placed in front of my stock rad, so I may remove them to see if they even help.

Alot of this car stumps me...I eventually figure shit out, but it's trial and error, especially custom jobs like this that you didn't do. While trying to figure all this shit out (and trying to find a place to do it) I'm looking for a new engine to swap (newer 3800SC, N* or LS1).

I was gonna go back to my IMSA Fiero with the N*, but my 85GT is in amazing shape, all it needs is reliability work, the IMSA car needs a major overhaul.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

I got about 2 hrs of run time b4 my head gaskets blew.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I've only driven it about 400 miles since I got it back together. My only problem so far was a bad spark plug. The ceremic had come loose from the metal and was causing one hell of a missfire. Other than that, everything is good so far. :wave:

My good friend has a 3800SC swap in his 87GT. He hasnt had one problem with it and has daily driven it 8 or 9 months out of the year the last 2 years. He gets 30+MPG too. He also doesnt treat it nice. :thumbleft:
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

Fast88Fiero wrote:My good friend has a 3800SC swap in his 87GT. He hasnt had one problem with it and has daily driven it 8 or 9 months out of the year the last 2 years. He gets 30+MPG too. He also doesnt treat it nice. :thumbleft:
Impressive. Who did the swap?
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

p8ntman442 wrote:I got about 2 hrs of run time b4 my head gaskets blew.
Cant blame that on the engine...maybe it was the KnobGobbler undertorquing and stripping out aluminum head bolt bosses.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Doug Chase wrote:
Fast88Fiero wrote:My good friend has a 3800SC swap in his 87GT. He hasnt had one problem with it and has daily driven it 8 or 9 months out of the year the last 2 years. He gets 30+MPG too. He also doesnt treat it nice. :thumbleft:
Impressive. Who did the swap?
He did most of the engine mounting and I did the wireing.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

I'll get better then 30 with mild driving. A tank lasts me 280 miles of casual freeway driving. About 160 in town with my foot in it, but cruising it gets great mileage.