mmm guns and steaks (nws)

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Kohburn
FierHo

mmm guns and steaks (nws)

Post by Kohburn »

Last edited by Kohburn on Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

That triple chain gun is fucking awesome!!

Your Fuehrer

Diggity"I want 10!"Biggity
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

ImageImageImageImageImage

ok so they don't all involve steak or guns - but they are worth it right?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

That's a lotta fuckin' Vulcans...
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

I need them to guard the home front.. George W. sure can't do it properly.. so I'm mounting them on my roof.. with laser beams.. and motion sensors.. Fuck the terrorists.. America RULES

Your Fuehrer

Diggity"so out of character"Biggity
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

how about the a-10 warthogs gun - a gun that when fired slows the damn plane down

DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Whoah!! Give me 5!!

It slows the plane down?!?! Jebus!!

Your Fuehrer

Diggity"Thinking about the physics behind that"Biggity
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

diggitybiggity wrote:Whoah!! Give me 5!!

It slows the plane down?!?! Jebus!!

Your Fuehrer

Diggity"Thinking about the physics behind that"Biggity
it's called the tank killer for a reason :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Kohburn wrote:how about the a-10 warthogs gun - a gun that when fired slows the damn plane down
Pretty much all plane borne guns do that to some extent. A notable exception would be the tail gunners on WWII bombers, as the recoil from these weapons makes the plane go faster.

What calibre is the A-10 gun? 25mm? 30?

The Navy CIWS is a self contained radar guided Vulcan that can put 4500 rounds per minute of tungsten APDS onto any target on constant bearing, decreasing range profile. It even uses its internal radar to correct for windage by tracking its own initial volley.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Armament:
-Gun(s): 1xGAU-8/A seven-barrel Gatling gun 30 mm (3900 rpm)
-Hardpoints: 11x mixed ordnance including 225 kg retarded bombs, 910 kg GP bombs incendiary and Rockeye II CBs, CEM, AGM-65A/B/D/G Maverick missiles and laser-guided/electro-optically guided bombs, AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles; IR countermeasures flares, ECM chaff, jammer pods, 6,99 cm rockets and illumination flares
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The Navy CIWS is a self contained radar guided Vulcan that can put 4500 rounds per minute of tungsten APDS onto any target on constant bearing, decreasing range profile. It even uses its internal radar to correct for windage by tracking its own initial volley.
yes the ship mounted phalanx

emod19

Post by emod19 »

The A 10 was literally built around the gun.

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

The CIWS "Phalanx" is just a 20mm Vulcan cannon, with a nifty radar guidance system. I want one for my boat, too. never mind the fact that it weighs several times more than my boat...

I still think the GAU-8 onboard the A-10 kicks the most ass of any rotary cannon ever made, though. http://www.gdatp.com/products/lethality ... /gau-8.htm 10,000 LBS of recoil force when it's rockin'... over 4000 RPM, Dayumm. Fires a mix of 30MM DU and HE rounds, and from what I've heard, they can perforate tanks from 5+ miles out (tanks have armor over one foot thick, some, even over two feet - think about that).

Wanna hear something crazy? Ever know that they made some special purpose 20mm sniper rifles(cannons)? Wonder what the muzzle blast and recoil on those bad boys must be for a shoulder fired weapon?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Don't think the 20mm would kick very hard at all. The .50 cal kicks about as hard as a .308, due to the huge muzzle break.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I want to see videos of air force planes doing what they do best, all of them including the A10. Anyone know of any?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Crzyone - I've heard the same about the .50's, but then again they weigh 20+ lbs where a .308 is gonna be 7-12. The recoil energy is obviouly far more than a .308, but more mass slows it down the recoil velocity which is what ya feel. On the other side of things, I used to have a 3.5" supermagnum chambered 12 gauge shotgun that would jack your shoulder back one foot, requiring a good step or two back to absorb the recoil - but it was sure fun to shoot!

I couldn't find out how many ft/lbs of energy the 20mm has, but somewhere, it said the 30mm GAU8 round carries no less than 125,699fpe at the muzzle! Considering that the .308 has less than 3000, that's pretty staggering...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

If it wasn't for the muzzle break, the .50 would rip your shoulder off. The gun also weighs in closer to 30lbs, I had a chance to hold one when I was in Reno in a gun store. (cool guns you just can't get in Canada) Wife is from Nevada, so when we go to visit the In-Laws we shoot all their guns. Fun times!

I have a Mosberg 3.5" mag, I know what you mean by recoil on that bitch. I bought a box of 3.5" shells and only shot maybe 5 before I decided 3" is plenty.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Just did a quick search on the .50
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d/m107.htm

Sounds like a wicked gun, very accurate at 2000 yards. I believe it was a Canadian sniper in Afganistan who holds the record for longest confirmed sniper shot, pretty cool.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:Just did a quick search on the .50
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d/m107.htm

Sounds like a wicked gun, very accurate at 2000 yards. I believe it was a Canadian sniper in Afganistan who holds the record for longest confirmed sniper shot, pretty cool.
I was watching a history channel documentary on snipers, and I guess the record is held by a Canadien for the longest sniper rifle confirmed kill, at 4000+ yards. Amazing!
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

A-10 gun is 30mm. While I am not sure how the plane "slows down," it definitely vibrates like hell. Luckily the bursts only last about 2-3 seconds.