mmm guns and steaks (nws)

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Recoil slows the plane down.
Happens with every forward facing gun mounted on an aircraft.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

its just more significant with the massive gun on the a-10
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I have a documentry on P-47 Thunderbolt pilots during WWII. The guy said when all 8 .50cal machine guns went off it would slow his plane 30mph in a dive. Thats some impressive recoil!
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Apparently, a single man can absorb the recoil from a .50, or even a HMG blazing away at 500 RPM in .50 cal. I guess 8 makes a shitload of mass being launched at high velocity, and the 20 and 30mm cannons are firing far heavier projectiles at a higher muzzle velocity at many thousands of RPM. Dunno, the website for the people who made the GAU-8 said it makes 10,000 lbs of recoil force, which I assume is average, instead of peak force?

Either way, I'd give an arm and a leg to go flying around in an A-10 shooting shit up, cuz that would be cool...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I would think that aircraft 50 cals would have a much hotter load than man carried 50 cals...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aircraft don't have muzzle breaks. You have no idea how big a difference one makes. Even a compensator on a .45 colt makes a big difference.

Those .50 sniper rifles use basically the same size ammo as the WWII aircraft did.

My father in law has a .50 rifle. If you ever seen the movie Quiglie Down Under, its the same gun, sept his was a .45 Its the hardest kicking gun I've ever fired, and its nowhere the same size brass as the .50 sniper rifles. The gun probibly weighs 20lbs from the big heavy octagon barrel but still kicks like a mule. 650 grain bullets as well, just massive.

That 30mm gattling gun on the A-10 must be insane. I imagine the 10,000lbs of thrust is average, it fires so fast it would probibly feel fairly smooth shooting. Depleted Uranium slugs is also pretty cool, probibly goes through armor like butter.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Depleted Uranium (other than the fact that it's killing countless numbers of people in Iraq and was probably the cause of the first Gulf War Syndrome) is pretty fucking incredible. So dense yet so light. It's amazing what technology brings us in the horror of war.

Your paranoid fuehrer

DiggityBiggity
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

diggitybiggity wrote:Depleted Uranium (other than the fact that it's killing countless numbers of people in Iraq and was probably the cause of the first Gulf War Syndrome) is pretty fucking incredible. So dense yet so light. It's amazing what technology brings us in the horror of war.

Your paranoid fuehrer

DiggityBiggity
it is't light - its 70% more dense than lead (ie more mass per volume)

"Depleted uranium is favoured for flechette construction due to two particular properties: being self-sharpening and pyrophoric. On impact with a hard target, such as an armoured vehicle, the nose of the flechette rod fractures in such a way that it remains sharp. Further, the impact and heat energy released on impact causes it to disintegrate to dust and combust when it reaches air (compare to ferrocerium). Against an armoured vehicle this is devastating, piercing the hull to create an extremely hot ball of dust and gas in the interior, killing or injuring the crew and igniting fuel and ammunition.

Depleted uranium also has the advantage of being easy to melt and cast into shape; a difficult and costly process for tungsten.

Depleted uranium is also very dense: at 19050 kg/m³, it is 70% denser than lead. Thus a given weight of it has a smaller diameter than an equivalent lead projectile, with less aerodynamic drag and better penetration due to a higher pressure at point of impact."
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

They are denser than lead, but what weighs more in bullet form, because that thing you posted says the bullets are smaller.. do they still weight the same? I'm a moron.. help me out

Your paranoid fuehrer

Diggity"Willing to admit he's confused here"Biggity
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

They are saying a smaller depleted uranium round has the same weight (mass) as a larger lead round.

If they are equal size, the depleted uranium round weighs much more than a lead round. A 30mm depleted uranium round would weigh much more than a 30mm lead round.

They worded it weird.

Thanks for posting that Kohburn, didn't know that about the uranium rounds, its pretty cool how they are self sharpening and the dust burns. Pretty lethal round.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

diggitybiggity wrote:(other than the fact that it's killing countless numbers of people in Iraq and was probably the cause of the first Gulf War Syndrome)
HA! BS.

but let's not go there. That's conspiratorialist rambling and not MCP discussion of eating the flesh of animals and playing with instruments of mayhem.
Standard

Post by Standard »

so what's heavier... a pound of DU, or a pound of lead? :scratch:

:thumbleft:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

uhhhhhhhh, DU? Image What do I win?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

How does each compare to a pound of feathers?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The feathers are prettier.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

i think one pound of feathers is enough to fill a small cubical - but one pound of DU is a paperweight
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I want a pound of Iridium to play with. It's denser than Uranium.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I want a pound of Iridium to play with. It's denser than Uranium.
whats worth more a pound of iridium or a pound of platinum? i'd accept either as a gift though :thumbleft:
whipped

Post by whipped »

Which hurts more, DU or HE? :scratch:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

whipped wrote:Which hurts more, DU or HE? :scratch:
probably DU -

if you got shot with DU you'd have a really big hole - HE you'd be a cloud of goo