tech section tech. advice needed

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

tech section tech. advice needed

Post by p8ntman442 »

hey guys, dont mean to bitch, but is there a way I can turn off viewing your avatars so I can cruise the tech section at work, the only time I really get to go online. i love each and every one, but I dont wanna get shit if somebody walks buy. Im thinking of a strip of tape over the left side of monitor.
txf

Post by txf »

I will take a stab at this and I think the admin will also view our posts. The avatars are both amusing and Not Work Safe. I haven't looked at this yet in the profile functions yet BUT if the option isn't there but there is a modification to allow that option. Then if the admin doesn't have the ability to do the modification, I offer my services free of charge and will only take an hour to complete without disrupting the boards use or security. Once I get the files I need I can wrap them up into one upload.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

removed mine for ya
txf

Post by txf »

Ok there is a modification for this that has been verified to work and be safe. It will allow users to select if they want to keep from viewing everyones avatars and Signatures while browsing the forum. This is a pretty cool mod and takes about 20 minutes to edit the code, if you know what you are doing.

Here's the files I need from whoever has the FTP access to this forum

Files To Edit:
includes/ucercp_register.php
language/lang_english/lang_main.php
admin/admin_users.php
templates/subSilver/admin/user_edit_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/profile_add_body.tpl
templates/subSilver/viewtopic_body.tpl
viewtopic.php

None of these files contain any security features what so ever.

Please contact me via stuart@texasfieros.com and I'll be glad to edit them for you and get them right back to you to upload. IF by any chance during the modification someone tries a new link or option before all files are complete they'll just get an error and no harm will happen. There is no editing of Database files or security files so you can rest at ease on that one. Let me know if you want this modification performed on this board or not. This is a by user option adn doesn't effect anyone elses preferences at all. so if this mod was completed and I decided that I didn't want to view Avatars or Sigs then I wouldn't see them but everyone else would be just as they were with being able to see them. I personally know I have been questioned by my wife about seeing two naked butts in an avatar while I was browsing this forum.
zonyl
not really

Post by zonyl »

txf wrote:Ok there is a modification for this that has been verified to work and be safe. It will allow users to select if they want to keep from viewing everyones avatars and Signatures while browsing the forum. This is a pretty cool mod and takes about 20 minutes to edit the code, if you know what you are doing.
While you are at it, could you mod the censor code to replace fiero.com with fiero.com in hyperlinks. That would make it a bit easier for some folks to click on stuff around here.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

First, if someone's avatar offends you, ask them to change it. If it really offends you and they won't change it, block the site that's hosting it.

Second, I thank you for offering to help out with server administration. I have the ability to do that modification and have thought about doing it and also others. However, there's a new exploit for this board like every other week and I don't feel like having to re-apply 22 different mods each time. Also, phpBB 3 is going to integrate most of the mods that I would want to apply.
txf

Post by txf »

I have about 30 mods to my site alone and you don't have to redo them. you just have to learn how to apply the updates by hand instead of using the auto installer that does have some bugs in it. there are a few updates I have seen that corrupt the database when using the auto installer. If you wish you could just copy the whole board files which none are teh database since it's a totally different file as well as the passwords file. This would allow me to hand update the files when patches come out and just email you the files to upload. Since I'll be installing the patches on my own forum anyway. This would be no trouble to me at all.
txf

Post by txf »

As far as the linking is concerned the word filter could be used to change the links automatically.

Change http://www.fiero.com to http://www.fiero.com

that would change all of them to the new link system. The if they clock that and we open another bypass for it such as my server the word filter could be changed easily.