Anyone Seafoam?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

coinage

Post by coinage »

Royal Purple FTW
lucky

Post by lucky »

i've always used Syntec. It's the only synthetic fully compatible with conventional oils, so if you get stuck at a gas station in the middle of nowhere, you don't have to pay $10 for a qt of synthetic. And Walmart recently dropped their price on 5qt jugs.
[quote=Pyrthian]yes, I've used kerosene like that for a long time - untill I wrecked a oil pressure sender. but - nowadays - just switch to synthetic - and it'll slowly clean itself[/quote]

Synthetics actually absorb less contaminants than conventional oil, so that's not really true. As far as flushes, Gunk motor flush. Cheap and effective. First time I used it there were literally globs coming out of my oil pan.
Last edited by lucky on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Seafoam is cool, but go easy. I had a friend (who always is trying to push different additives and gimmicks on us) seafoam a friends truck... which promptly started rodknocking the very next day. Pretty obvious what happened, so don't let it drain the can too quick!

Other than that, it does indeed seem to work.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Pyrthian wrote:
Kohburn wrote:all the old schoolers say to stick a quart of ATF in the oil and idle it for 10 minutes then drain all your oil out and refill with new - supposed to clean all the buildup out.
yes, I've used kerosene like that for a long time - untill I wrecked a oil pressure sender. but - nowadays - just switch to synthetic - and it'll slowly clean itself
i think i'd trust something with more lubrication power than kerosene. but yeah a few sythetic oil changes will flsuh it out
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Just called GM $14.58 for 16oz of TEC. I was asking about seafoam cause someone gave me a can, I got another free can and used it on my dads jeep, helped a little, but he only has 55k on his truck. I want to keep my 2.8L running efficiently and well, and my 3800SC, 1/3 the age will have more mileage so a good cleanout won't heart before the beating commences on it.