aluminum engine pics

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

aluminum engine pics

Post by p8ntman442 »

I just fixed my digital camera (dropped it off the bench in the shop)
so here are a few pics from building the engine. (the first time around)

clear powdercoated block

removable lifter bore (the rusty stuff is from brake clean leaving the metal so clean and it rusting overnight)

and my powdercoated rims. black lace with polished lip all clearcoated.

(had to enable bbcode )

well I cant see them on my end? This usually works????
Last edited by p8ntman442 on Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

very nice how much dose it weigh?
Last edited by TurboGT on Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

awesome pics man. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could post some of the block and heads me and jon had.

You sure you dont' want to get rid of those heads? :thumbleft:
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Sexy.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

TurboGt wrote:very nice how much dose it weigh?
umm, the block alone is a lil under 40 lbs, all together i have no idea. not much though.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:awesome pics man. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could post some of the block and heads me and jon had.

I dunno, how much work will it take to make 3.4 tdc heads fit this block? If I can make it a dohc, then Im not gonna need these heads am I. Is it possible with bigger bores to accept the 3.4 heads, and do custom work to make the coolant passages work? The open deck really allows for coolant passage porting.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I could sit here and lie and say that it wont' take much to get the dohc heads to fit in order to get those heads, but they wont' fit dude.

I have tried it on my block and I took tons of pics and even posted the pics and links here in a separate thread.

the heads don't line up with the lifter valley. There is more material in the lifter valley on a dohc block, that the heads mount flush with. On a pushrod block there is a huge gap in the valley where the lower intake would mount.

also the heads overhang the deck. Coolant would leak out for sure.

If I could post pics I would but I cost Howard a arm and a leg in bandwidth last month so I can't post what I mean as I think pics tell the story pretty well.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Shaun41178(2) wrote: If I could post pics I would but I cost Howard a arm and a leg in bandwidth last month so I can't post what I mean as I think pics tell the story pretty well.
try using a free host service like www.photobucket.com
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

http://www.imageshack.us/ doesn't get any easier than that.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Not really. I don't think it's going to cost more then a couple bucks extra.
Shaun41178(2) wrote:
If I could post pics I would but I cost Howard a arm and a leg in bandwidth last month
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

so coolant passages and a custom intake manifold stop you?? bah, when I graduate im gonna be making serious dough, some of which wont go to the baby, its mother or my student loans. (how do i make the Fiero a tax write off?)

do the bolt holes line up to suck it down to the block?

if you dont like topimagehost.com Or a link to a post where i can see these findings. you could try a lil harder to get these heads from me.
Last edited by p8ntman442 on Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=484

Freakin' piehole Shaun took down all the dam' photos.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

p8ntman442 wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:awesome pics man. Thanks for sharing. Wish I could post some of the block and heads me and jon had.

I dunno, how much work will it take to make 3.4 tdc heads fit this block? If I can make it a dohc, then Im not gonna need these heads am I. Is it possible with bigger bores to accept the 3.4 heads, and do custom work to make the coolant passages work? The open deck really allows for coolant passage porting.
A LOT.

The pushrod and DOHC blocks are very different, even in small ways, such as oiling (Not so small..) But I guess it could be done, but no, it really can't. I had this idea a while back, and went so far as buying a junk 2.8 from a junyard to test it out. There was no way in hell. I am pretty mechanically inclined, I make my own equal length headers and intake manifolds, but there is no way I could have done that, even if I had the machines to cast my own blocks.

Please ignore my incredibly sexy combustion chambers, and instead look at the deck surface and the intermediate shaft cover. Should give you an idea of their differences I hope.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Thanks for that pic Arron. I have made some markings on it to aid this discussion.

The top red circle is the oil passage of some sort. I have an oil supply tube used for the lifter valley which could be used for this, or the oiling in general, if this tube is some pvc connection to the plenum or whatever.

The green is all coolant passages, which my open deck will provide plenty of. The yellow are head bolt holes, can we see if they are the same? the hole on the top is an egr passage of some sort I assume, but could be wrong. The hole on the far left labeled what the fuck, I have no idea what that is???? As well as the two large holes at the bottom of the pic on the right side, are they oil return? The oil feed hole above the head bolt hole means the passage passes near the surface of the head where I could tap a hole and put in an oiling connection. Remember i will most likely have decks made as well as sleeve the block, so any passages that need to be moved can be made in the deck (2 piece if needed). Lets discuss this as a serious option for my block, haveing absolutly no worth to regular 2.8's it does give me options besides haveing a rare (and weak) engine. Although if it can be done, shaun wont want my heads anymore. :scratch: so there goes that $$
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The red circled thing is a PCV connection.
p8ntman442 wrote: the hole on the top is an egr passage of some sort I assume, but could be wrong. The hole on the far left labeled what the fuck, I have no idea what that is???? As well as the two large holes at the bottom of the pic on the right side, are they oil return?
These are, I believe, ALL oil drain back holes. Wish the ones in my engine were that big.
The oil feed hole above the head bolt hole means the passage passes near the surface of the head where I could tap a hole and put in an oiling connection.
The oil feed hole in the deck connects to a small recess in the deck surface of the head and goes up into the head around that bolt hole. So no, you couldn't just screw a pipe fitting in there to oil the heads.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=484

Freakin' piehole Shaun took down all the dam' photos.
Click that link, all the pics work now.

Ummm

The what the fuck holes are the oil drain back. Then the large one you call egr passage is also oil drainback.

If you look at the pics of the dohc heads mounted on my bow tie block you will see that unless you spend a shitload of money it won't work.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

p8ntman442 wrote: you could try a lil harder to get these heads from me.
I dont' know what that means but humor me.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I am seriously considering trying this...I have the mechanical ability to make them work I think. Why are these really naughty ideas going through my head???

But, it would be one helluva powerplant. Use a 3.4 oil pump (That could be easier said than done), then use the pushrod bottom end, and just weld out the oil pan... :scratch:

Hmmm...I may just be on the lookout for an aluminum block...
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

ok looking at thye other thread I see how the oil feed works, and how the heads overhang, and how the coolant passages will leak over the side of the block. Im not scared. I also like the look of the sleeves in that bowtie block, as well as the rest of the block. How about the timing belt and associated hardware, anyone know if the 3.4 tdc block bosses are the same as a pushrod on the sides?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

p8ntman442 wrote:ok looking at thye other thread I see how the oil feed works, and how the heads overhang, and how the coolant passages will leak over the side of the block. Im not scared. I also like the look of the sleeves in that bowtie block, as well as the rest of the block. How about the timing belt and associated hardware, anyone know if the 3.4 tdc block bosses are the same as a pushrod on the sides?
The timing belt doesn't matter, you don't need it. Besides, removing it means less rotating mass, which equals more power.

They should be the same, but I doubt they are. That is one thing I forgot to check. And I don't have a pic of the plate on the DOHC motor. I'll try and get a pic of the one I have lying around.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo