more dyno time

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Aaron wrote:3500 rolls around, and that shit got serious.
<chuckle> 200 ftlbs = serious </chuckle>
Yah...As I said, we were having problems, as was the dyno...

The car moved pretty good though, I firmly believe it was capable of a high 13 pass.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I doubt there was anythign wrong with the dyno.

the numbers aren't bad for what you had done to it.

Is there any smoothing on that graph? Because your chart is not smooth at all. It looks like you had a tire balance problem or a misfire situation.

Not the dynos problem thats for sure. Dyno's hardly ever read wrong. Besides its just a number anyways. Doesnt' really say how fast yoru car is.

Your graph doesnt' look good. But I think you said you had some codes or something if I rmemeber right.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I doubt there was anythign wrong with the dyno.

the numbers aren't bad for what you had done to it.

Is there any smoothing on that graph? Because your chart is not smooth at all. It looks like you had a tire balance problem or a misfire situation.

Not the dynos problem thats for sure. Dyno's hardly ever read wrong. Besides its just a number anyways. Doesnt' really say how fast yoru car is.

Your graph doesnt' look good. But I think you said you had some codes or something if I rmemeber right.
The company recently had relocated, and had only been runnign for about a week or two. Every single car there got numbers consistantly 30-40whp lower than they were expecting. Even the president of Rocky Mountain Club GP didn't trust the numebrs, and they've been using that dyno company for years. Somehting was wrong.

There wasn't much smoothing on the graph, and it was very up and down. This was purely a tuning issue, as the car was pretty out of tune. I was having some problems, the O2 sensor was not reading anything, and I did not have an IAT sensor. I plugged in one from a L67, and it ran better, but still not perfect. The graph was also very dependent on the A:F, if I post my other graph, the A:F is up and down the entire run. Every time it goes leaner (12:1 from 10-11), I see a power spike. After 6k the car went rich fast, explaining the huge power drop to 7. My car wasn't running perfect, but I raced a Buick L67 (The only car there that got accurate numbers at 215, slightly modded), and I pulled on him hard. I had 2-3 car lenths by 60. 3whp doesn't equal 3 car lengths, and my gearing would not be enough to do that, tho it did help.
black_z34

Post by black_z34 »

wow aaron you have got a nice car there, quite a bit of power. What have you done to it? I would love to put 210+ down in my auto too! Do you still have that in the z-34 or is it in your fiero? I'm guessing your lumina was auto, the the fiero?
'92 Z-34, auto, CAI, Flowmaster series 40 muffs, Superchip.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

black_z34 wrote:wow aaron you have got a nice car there, quite a bit of power. What have you done to it? I would love to put 210+ down in my auto too! Do you still have that in the z-34 or is it in your fiero? I'm guessing your lumina was auto, the the fiero?
I shall continue jacking this thread, but it was not my intention...

Thanks, although I am quite dissapointed that 218 was all it made. We were reaslistically looking for 240whp, and I would have liked to see it break 250. Here were the mods:

Fenderwell CAI, LS1 75mm throttle body on 96-97 intake manifolds, .030 overbore, 10:1 compression, tuned equal length headers, full 2.5" exhaust, FFP UD Pulley and dogbone mount, Magnecore plug wires, and a few other small thngs. The problem is that it wasn't tuned AT ALL, and the stock cams are really holding me back as well. The car was a 1992 Z34 5-speed, and Tony, aka 5speedz34, owns the car now.

I sold it to fund my Fiero project. So I bought the Fiero, and bought a 3.4 crate motor that I will be modifying over the new year or so to put int he Fiero. I'd like to get about 350hp.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Aaron wrote:
I shall continue jacking this thread, but it was not my intention...
Ye ano kidding. I was starting to wonder who was going to say it if not me. :flipa:
black_z34

Post by black_z34 »

thanks for the reply aaron. i do have a question though, what do you have to do to the bottom end to make all the power that kevwood did? you mentioned that he has a lot of bottom end work, is that why he making power? It seems like you have TONS more mods than him and he is making about 40 hp more. I e-mailed him and he says that the power begins with the heads and without proper head work all the other 'air-breathing' mods are near usless.

here is his mod list
http://60degreev6.com/index.php?name=PN ... pic&t=6819
is this true? should i spend my money on heads or on custom headers, intake swap, and a big throttle body?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'd spend your money on the heads.

I do have more mods than he does, and I should have made much more power. But my tuning was way off, and we were having major problems that day with the car.

My mods certainly wouldn't be useless with heads, that is stupid to say that. In fact, he'd gain tons of power adding my mods with his heads.
black_z34

Post by black_z34 »

he didnt say they were usless on his motor but are a waste of money unless you have the heads done right. his other motor put 197 horsepower down with just an short ram intake, and exhaust, and tuning. Im really excited to see his numbers when he retimes the cams 13 degrese. So when tony gets the car tuned it will put down 250 horespower too? man 2 totally different motor build ups with the same results, very cool! when is his car going to be tuned?
and by the way I CANT WAIT to see your fiero! 350 horsepower! holy crap! :salute:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

He should have it tuned with the cam timing within the next month or 2.

Yah that is also stupid, look what bowtiekid and I did with NO head work at all, and my motor was definately capable of more. The heads aren't bad from the factory, but they could use help.

The heads on my Fiero motor will be loads better than Kevwood's anyway.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I have been known to port dohc heads.

I posted pics somewhere.

ninja edit
phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=743
black_z34

Post by black_z34 »

Aaron wrote:He should have it tuned with the cam timing within the next month or 2.

Yah that is also stupid, look what bowtiekid and I did with NO head work at all, and my motor was definately capable of more. The heads aren't bad from the factory, but they could use help.

The heads on my Fiero motor will be loads better than Kevwood's anyway.
hmm thinking for myself here; no head work with lots of bolt ons,218 and 219, head work with almost no bolt ons 257, i think it makes a lot of sense what he says. can you send me the link to the picture of kevwoods heads youve seen? i really want to see them! what are you doing differnent in your heads? can you make a set of heads for me too?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I have never seen his heads.

Mine are getting done better though, as they are physically getting reshaped, meaning the ship will grind them down, hog em out, then weld in different paths for the air to flow.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Aaron wrote:3500 rolls around, and that shit got serious.
<chuckle> 200 ftlbs = serious </chuckle>
Yah...As I said, we were having problems, as was the dyno...

The car moved pretty good though, I firmly believe it was capable of a high 13 pass.
<chuckle> high 13's = serious </chuckle>

:thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah, heads do help a lot, if they're done correctly, and it sure sounds like his are.

Other than that, the built block will only help with another 4 ci of displacement and a compression bump... might gain a few ponies more if using Total Seal rings, ceramic coatings, etc.

I'm still not sure if I'm buying that those mods (with the usual... exhaust, intake tube, etc) are enough to take a stock engine from 180ish RWHP to 250ish RWHP...
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Shaun

Sell your POS ... 180 WHP is weakass.. Honda Oddssey's make more at the wheels..

you should be ashamed goat Fucker.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Learn to read a dyno you Down Syndrome homo.

its a Viper eating 200. Wait didin't your N star put down 193 the first time there?

booya fucker I would rape you.