CRX CAI installed on my 88GT 5-speed *pics*

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

CRX CAI installed on my 88GT 5-speed *pics*

Post by Aaron »

I ordered my CRX CAI off of Ebay about a week ago, got it for $36 shipped. It is the 1 piece with a red coupler, cheapass filter, and red rice tubing. I got it today and decided to install it.

I got the old one out, I never realized what an interesting design it was. After getting the canister out, it took me a few minutes to discover how to get that little rubber piece that goes into the fender out. I had to pull of the wheel and the splash guard. This wasn't too bad once I figured it out. I then took out the silencer. Holy shit that hting is fucked up. NO wonder the 2.8 doesn't have any intake noise. I almost wanted to run it with just the canister. As weird as it was, it didn't look too bad as far as performance goes, hell it did get cold air fed right into it, almost ram air...I then worked on installing the new intake. It was pretty easy, I've done much harder, but the jerry-rigging took some time.

I drilled a hole and stuck the IAT in it, then JB welded the fuck out of it. I used the welded on bung for the PCV breather line. I then cut a small hole in the intake for the last line. What is this line? It is small, like 1/4". I had it on, but the nipple I JB'd on broke off when driving. So I drove around with it disconnected, no SES lights, but it did almost stall once or twice which was odd. I'm guessing that line is the reason...

Thanks, pics will be up soon!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
derangedsheep

Re: CRX CAI installed on my 88GT 5-speed *pics*

Post by derangedsheep »

Aaron wrote:What is this line? It is small, like 1/4".
Is it the little one that is right under the canister with a stock intake? It comes off a hard line on the firewall? That's the intake for the EGR switch thingy. You don't need to hook it up to anything, just don't block it off.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Huh. I left it open, but this is what happened with the intake, never has happened before.

I went around a corner, downshifted to first, and let out the clutch applying throttle. It fell flat on its face. THen I put the clutch in, revved it up a little, then went normally. It may have been gas, I noticed the gauge is a little awkward, as was that on my Z34. It falls normally until about 1/2, where it sticks for a few days. Then as it nears 1/8-1/4 (Still reading 1/2), it drops like a rock down to the 1/8-1/4 area. Like it will fall 1/4 tank in 10 miles. So it could have been it starving as I went aorund a corner, but I;ve had it lower before and been fine.

Any ideas?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Pics before cleaning it up, just getting it in working order:

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

Thats pretty wussy looking for a DOHC!
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I like that you recognize that CAI posts are not to be posted in Tech.

A + for you
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thank you Donk, I'm trying (I'll have a build thread up in a month)

Thanks for the positive rating Howard. I HATE it when people go on and on about what a fucking mod the CAI is. Yah, the car sounds a lot better, and it looks better. But it's a frickin intake for God's sake. I mean, it took me a couple hours to put it in, and the most work I've ever done on a Fiero was changing the oil. It was a simploe easy "mod." It is in no way, shape, form, or stretch of the imagination a technical thing.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo