Tempting offer made to me, need advice!

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Tempting offer made to me, need advice!

Post by Aaron »

I had a guy over at Pennock's PM me. He found out that I have near-perfect grey leather seats in my 88GT.

He PM'ed me saying he'd be willing to pay me quite a bit more than what Mr. Mike's cost for them.

At first I was like, wow, no way, but he sounds really serious. So this is what I am thinking. I could sell mine, pic some up from a junkyard, and put Mr. Mike's on, which would only cost me time, no money. In the end I have seats that look better than my stock ones. But I know how rare the grey leathers are, and I really like mine, especially that they are in such great shape. I also like showing them off (Thanks Doug)

So what do you guys think? I would charge him whatever it costs me to do the MM of my choice, new j/y seats, and shipping. It would be nearly $1000 for him, but he sounds like that isn't a big deal (He has a 88GT, 8100 miles, and wants it ALL stock). I really need your advice on this, I am torn.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

honestly - i preffer fabric and would pay mr.mike 400$ for a set of fabric seats but he won't make em - thats why I did the integra seats but I decided I lost too much headroom - so selling those and found some 85gt seats to dye black..

ok that was OT but in your case i'd say get the mikes and use the cash for mods
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well I probably wouldn't make much cash, maybe $100 at most, and it'd be some time with the Mike's seats.

But I liek his seats, a lot.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

you get paid 1000$ - then buy mikes seats for 600.. if you need some blank foams to install on I have some spares i need to get out of my house from my 84 parts car - cover shipping and they are yours (or swing by a junkyard and grab a pair for dirt cheap)

you should end up with a good 3-400 cash
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

I'd keep them.

Anybody can buy a Mr. Mikes seat, but factory leather is HARD to come by. Especially in the condition those are in. If you sell them then the seats will be gone and pretty soon the money will be gone, too.

I think the factory leather is more durable than Mr. Mikes, too.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks for the input, and I agree.

I think I am going to stick with mine, it is one of the things that I really love about the car.

Thanks for the advice guys!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

I would sell them in a second, the value of your car being a stock 88GT with leather goes out the indow as soon as you fire up the grinder. I am not interested in super rare fieros, so I am probibly not the greatest for advice.

I would sell them and buy a pair of nice racing seats. The more you drive your car the more your seats will wear out.

At the very least, take them out of the car and put in some fabric seats. Obviously the leather seats are worth something.

I can't spell.
Last edited by crzyone on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

and don't the mr mikes have a lifetime warrantee? - thats why he refused to make fabric ones - said they wouldn't last like the leather
V8Mikie

Post by V8Mikie »

Is your car coded for the factory leather seats or did you install them later? If it has the RPO code I say stick with em, if it doesn't I say sell em.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

sell them and get the mister mikes. the guy ha 8100 miles on his car, so its worth some collector value. your car is a project car and is worth sports car value, and the mr mikes will bring more when you go to sell it, as well as look better and ride better.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

It is coded for them.

I can Mike's anytime, but not factory leathers.

I'm sticking withthe ones I have, I like them too much!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

His 88 GT has 8100 miles on it, and he already has need of replacement for his leather seats? WTF? That car must be trashed anyway.
If I trusted the guy (sounds fishy to me!) I'd take the cash and do Mr Mikes; you're not keeping your car stock anyway so its not like you're losing collector value by keeping them.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I just like having them, it is more than their value.

His car had cloth and he wants to do all factory upgrades, like leather, factory sub, etc.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

This guy really wants them, he just told me this:

Every man has a price, you have your's. Name it, and you got it.

I don't know. His car is just flawless, and I feel guilty that these seats are in my car and not his for some reason. I am staring and Mr Mike's, and have been on his website for a few hours now, examining every little detail. I can't decide. The leathers are one of the things I REALLY lvoed about the car, but I'll feel the same way about MM's I'm sure.

Arggggg
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

You must be real sentimental about your stock leathers!

If I was offered that much money for them, they would be out of my car in about 5 minutes. Mr. Mikes seats are beautiful, and you can get them however you want them.

I would be buying racing seats with provisions for a 5 point harness with that kind of money, but thats just me.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I am, I love them!

Still deciding right now though...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:This guy really wants them, he just told me this:

Every man has a price, you have your's. Name it, and you got it.

I don't know. His car is just flawless, and I feel guilty that these seats are in my car and not his for some reason. I am staring and Mr Mike's, and have been on his website for a few hours now, examining every little detail. I can't decide. The leathers are one of the things I REALLY lvoed about the car, but I'll feel the same way about MM's I'm sure.

Arggggg
I really don't think you will care if you have stock leathers or mikes - take the money and run
Standard

Post by Standard »

I had kind of the same dilema some time ago. My '88 came with a stock tan sunroof shade, which is pretty rare to find. I got offered $125 for it at a show.. decided I liked the money more than the sun shade. Stuff like that doesn't really add too much value to a project car. Better to use the money to make it go faster.

I've had Mr. Mike's leather in the coupe for 5 years now. It was a daily driver for 2 of those years. It's held up perfectly, still feels like it did when I first got it, and I definatly don't go out of my way to take care of it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The offer was good, but I couldn't do it. I take good enough care of them, that their value is going nowhere but up, and there will ALWAYS be those collectors that have the money, and want the seats. So I will do Mike's when that time comes.

Thanks for the encouragement for whichever route, but I don't really need the money, and God I love the stockers.
BigRedDeckSpoiler

Post by BigRedDeckSpoiler »

FWIW, I've got Mr. Mikes seats. After less than a year in the car, the piping is shot. The leather has held up perfectly, though.
I didn't ask him to warranty them, since they stayed in the bags for nearly a year, and were long out of warranty when they finally screwed up. I'm seriously NOT happy, though.
BRDS