Took the 3.4 DOHC to the strip...

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

fieromadman

Took the 3.4 DOHC to the strip...

Post by fieromadman »

Well I took the car to the strip today. Didn't do as well as I had hoped to but still a decent improvement over my last numbers with room for improvement still. So heres a video of my best run and a picture of the timeslip for that run and the one that I took before it. I'm in the left lane car #903.

YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBez7_gSxhI

First Run:

Second Run (Fastest):

I took a third run too but really fucked up the launch. The first two runs were taken one after the other. The car was just driven an hour, sat at the gate waiting to get in idling for 20 minutes and then took the runs. The engine was heatsoaked. That and the fact that apparently I can't launch worth a damn was really going against me. I would like to think that I can get this thing into the 13.4 range the way it sits, I just have to let the engine cool and get a good launch.

-Jeff
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Nice, fastest N/A DOHC, far as I can tell.

How's the launch? You wheel hop any? Bog?
whipped

Post by whipped »

Getrag?

I pulled those numbers on my first time to the track........ with a northstar
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

All you need is some big sticky tires and a good launch and you'll have a 13.4. Awesome!
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Blue Shift wrote:Nice, fastest N/A DOHC, far as I can tell.

How's the launch? You wheel hop any? Bog?
Yeah I think I'm the fastest as well right now, at least fastest proven. As you can tell my 60 foot times suck. I was having alot of trouble getting it off the line well. I think that I only have to blame myself, as I was letting the clutch out too fast and either bogging or spinning. On my fastest run I bogged a little and then it started getting some violent wheel hop after that. I think slipping the clutch a little more off the line would get me some better 60 foots.

Yes I have the getrag tranny, and I am thinking I'm around 270 crank HP right now BTW.

And slicks FTW! I just don't want to break tranny. Yikes!

Ported heads are the next project, hopefully they'll be on before the end of May.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Quicker then Dr Cpu's SBC v8 fiero. he used a crate motor rated at 330 hp, had V8Archie do all the work, and he ran a 13.8 at around 102-103 or so.

"to go fast from 0-100 as quickly as possible you need a v8" -V8Archie

:rotflmao:

congrats. get your 60's down around 1.9-2.0 and you will be around a 13.2 or so. Put some drag radials on it and launch it hard with a 1.8 and you might cut a very high 12. Not bad for a torqueless v6
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Not bad for a torqueless v6
Not that your whole post didn't make me laugh, but that was beautiful. :salute:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Great runs, you are just as fast as my GTR. My car was all launch, I ran a 13.6 @ 100mph with a 1.8 60'. You would have been pulling me at the end of the track.

I have some mods comming to my car that should get me into the 12s this season.

What is done to your 3.4 other than the headers?
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Umm... well I dont have headers. It's everything listed in my sig plus a little more... 95 3.4 DOHC (around 110,000 miles on the clock FTW!), custom cams, 96-97 intake manifold swap, bigger injectors, custom 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with flowmaster 80 series, ported exhaust mani's (running two front ones), ported and polished lower intake manifold, underdrive pulley, Magnecor 8.5 mil wires, chipped by Darth, p/s&a/c delete pullies, LT1 Vette fuel pump, 180* t-stat, NGK iridium IX plugs, and k&n filter (warm air intake). Thats about it (as far as I can remember), nothing too special except for the cams.

Doing ported heads real soon btw. Then it'll be dyno time.
whipped

Post by whipped »

damn... cam specs? Got a video of idle?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Sorry, confused your engine with DreX's? engine.

Any plans on headers or just keeping the stock manifolds?

My 3.4dohc felt fast. I also had mandrel bent exhaust, 2 front manifolds, fuel pump, hot air intake and a Darth reprogramed chip. Its cool to see its potential is when lightly modified.

:thumbleft:
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

I have some idle issues with it now, so the idle is turned up to about 1400 rpm. here is a video from a while back trying to troubleshoot it. BTW, it's not the cams making it do this. the other car thats running with these cams idles at 1000 rpms just fine. It sounds lopey tho.

Cam specs are:

SPECS ARE AT .050
Custom:
INTAKE:
Lift: 396
Duration: 220

EXHAUST:
Lift: 411
Duration: 228

Stock:
INTAKE:
Lift: 369
Duration: 205

EXHAUST:
Lift: 373
Duration: 213
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Keeping stock mani's for now. Turbo plans in the future, so once I get that dialed in nice then I'll worry about headers.

I should mention before the cams my car was a 13.8@98. My 60 ft on that run was a 2.0 and my engine was definatly not heatsoaked and it was like 20 degrees cooler that day. So it doesn't take much to get these into the 13's.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Yeah, you can tell it's got some lope, but not as much as I expected....... that's crazy. Are the cams straight up compared to stock? Or did you do the exh retard?

I see a MAF, 96 PCM?

270 crank sounds VERY realistic. Why can't I have 400hp? :cussing:
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

The cams are set straight up. I didnt want to play with them yet. I really need to dyno the thing and then mess with them and dyno some more... and repeat.

It's a 95 ecu. Wanted to keep that for ease of tunability. Besides thats what I had from the donor car. Thinking about going to the TGP ecu soon since I'm anticipating boost. I dont think that the 95 ECU can handle what I'll be throwing at it, it's either that or obd2. Does anyone know if Sinister has gotten the TGP ECU running good with the DOHC?

And trust me, I know about the 400 HP. :) With boost I'm hoping to break 450 to the wheels. Going to take some work, and several trannies no doubt, but I aim to make the fastest manual Fiero in the 1/4 mile with this engine. First I need to build the block (or another one like it). I'd be VERY un-easy about boosting this engine with over 100k on it. Considering Matt Hawkin's fairly conservative build (and boost levels) and him getting 415 to the wheels, I see no problem reaching my goals.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

fieromadman wrote:The cams are set straight up. I didnt want to play with them yet. I really need to dyno the thing and then mess with them and dyno some more... and repeat.

It's a 95 ecu. Wanted to keep that for ease of tunability. Besides thats what I had from the donor car. Thinking about going to the TGP ecu soon since I'm anticipating boost. I dont think that the 95 ECU can handle what I'll be throwing at it, it's either that or obd2. Does anyone know if Sinister has gotten the TGP ECU running good with the DOHC?

And trust me, I know about the 400 HP. :) With boost I'm hoping to break 450 to the wheels. Going to take some work, and several trannies no doubt, but I aim to make the fastest manual Fiero in the 1/4 mile with this engine. First I need to build the block (or another one like it). I'd be VERY un-easy about boosting this engine with over 100k on it. Considering Matt Hawkin's fairly conservative build (and boost levels) and him getting 415 to the wheels, I see no problem reaching my goals.
my recomendation for boost is going to be to get a greddy e-manage for the tuning.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

fieromadman wrote: And trust me, I know about the 400 HP. :) With boost I'm hoping to break 450 to the wheels. Going to take some work, and several trannies no doubt, but I aim to make the fastest manual Fiero in the 1/4 mile with this engine. First I need to build the block (or another one like it). I'd be VERY un-easy about boosting this engine with over 100k on it. Considering Matt Hawkin's fairly conservative build (and boost levels) and him getting 415 to the wheels, I see no problem reaching my goals.
You can do it.

I think finding a way to adapt the crossbolted mains and structural oil pan from the later 60* motors would be a good start for the bottom end. That with some custom rods and ARP bolts would make it pretty much bulletproof. Dunno what to do about the crank, but I haven't seen one broken yet..
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

fieromadman wrote:With boost I'm hoping to break 450 to the wheels. Going to take some work, and several trannies no doubt, but I aim to make the fastest manual Fiero in the 1/4 mile with this engine. First I need to build the block (or another one like it). I'd be VERY un-easy about boosting this engine with over 100k on it. Considering Matt Hawkin's fairly conservative build (and boost levels) and him getting 415 to the wheels, I see no problem reaching my goals.
I smell competition... :salute:

You're aiming for a bit more horsepower than I am, but I am holding mine back to conserve the block. It would be interesting to see who puts down better numbers at the same boost level.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Well I don't want to seem too competitive yet with the turbo thing because it is just a pipe dream so far, but I do intend on going that route. Once I have a block done and parts purchased we can call it a competition.

And as for the crank, I'm not too worried about it either. I may have it cryo treated. And i think that 60degreev6.com was investigating putting the 3X00 crank girdle on a 3.4 DOHC block. I should see how that ever turned out.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

fieromadman wrote: And i think that 60degreev6.com was investigating putting the 3X00 crank girdle on a 3.4 DOHC block. I should see how that ever turned out.
From what I remember, they decided that having to redrill the block or pan flange to make the pan fit was too hard so they gave up.