A/C Questions before I do what I'm going to do anyway

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It doesn't appear to be leaking at all, so all I really need to do is take it to a shop and get it vacuumed and recharged, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
<Insert Sig Here>
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

So I took it to the shop and got it vacuumed and recharged and I thought all was good. Then it wasn't blowing cold air. Took it back this morning and the pressure switch on the accumulator was bad. Took care of that and drove it to work, only to have the compressor start screeching like a violated cat. Fuck. Me. So my gamble on my DA-6 pile of shit compressor was a loser and I need a new compressor now that's R134a compatible, which means HR6. The shop said that they wouldn't charge me to pull and refill the refrigerant if I had them do the compressor swap, just parts and labor. However, they could only find a compressor for $550. Yeah fucking right. So I did some searching and I can find compressors from Kragen and Autozone for cheaper, but they're almost all reman, and most are H6-SW or H6-OR, whatever that means. Will those work? I'd rather buy a new compressor than a reman for what all this is going to cost me.
<Insert Sig Here>
whipped

Post by whipped »

I have had bad luck with reman compressors.

2 for 2 were bad, or went bad within 24 hours.

It's generally understood that AC systems are expensive, so rather than having to replace the compressor twice, I'd just get the new one off the bat. At least then you won't have to take it back 2 more times to have it evacuated and recharged because something was wrong with the compressor. FWIW, my new compressor was about $250.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

That's why I want new. Where'd you get yours?
<Insert Sig Here>
whipped

Post by whipped »

Advance auto. Factory air or four seasons brand, I don't remember. Pretty good quality. Just wish their remans were better.
lucky

Post by lucky »

whipped wrote:Advance auto. Factory air or four seasons brand, I don't remember. Pretty good quality. Just wish their remans were better.
half the compressors they have are 4seasons with factory air labels. No problem with either company's remans, most parts just sit in the AAP warehouses until the seals rot.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

When I got my Northstar car running, I didn't get the A/C working right away. I finally did get it working one Florida summer and didn't want to mess around. I had the shop get me a new compressor, custom lines, R134 conversion, etc. I had a $600 bill when said and done, but I had A/C too.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Fastback86 wrote:So I took it to the shop and got it vacuumed and recharged and I thought all was good. Then it wasn't blowing cold air. Took it back this morning and the pressure switch on the accumulator was bad. Took care of that and drove it to work, only to have the compressor start screeching like a violated cat. Fuck. Me. So my gamble on my DA-6 pile of shit compressor was a loser and I need a new compressor now that's R134a compatible, which means HR6. The shop said that they wouldn't charge me to pull and refill the refrigerant if I had them do the compressor swap, just parts and labor. However, they could only find a compressor for $550. Yeah fucking right. So I did some searching and I can find compressors from Kragen and Autozone for cheaper, but they're almost all reman, and most are H6-SW or H6-OR, whatever that means. Will those work? I'd rather buy a new compressor than a reman for what all this is going to cost me.
All interesting, but I'm still wondering if these H6-SW or H6-OR compressors will work, or what brands are better than others. The brands include, Ready Air, Factory Air, and others, though I didn't see 4 Seasons.
<Insert Sig Here>