starting my 5.3 with pics

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

starting my 5.3 with pics

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Hey all, I have pics of my '84 Fiero 2M4, and of the 5.3L V8 I will try to install excellently, and get running legally. So, how do I get them in here?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

photobucket.com
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Use Photobucket, it's great. You upload them, then copy the [IMG] tag they give you, and paste it here. I have over 150 of my build, and it's worked great.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Flickr is the biggest photo hosting service on the web.
whipped

Post by whipped »

I'll add this - imageshack.us is free, no signing up for anything, just 5 second uploads. I use it all the time.

However, if you want a "record" that will keep for 2 years or more, go with photobucket. imageshack is free and they periodically clean out their hard drives, which means if the image hasn't been loaded in a while it's on the chopping block.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Thanks, I'll try these. I plan to do a book of my own, as I found Wagener's to be of no value to me. If Aaron ever puts his thread into book form, I'd pay $20 for it. Anyone believe he's running a 5.7L LS1 on nitrous without breaking his Getrag?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

left click once on each pic, one ata time, for a big view. It's hard to see, but that tire is a 235/60-15, and it fills the wheelwell perfectly. So I'm planning on a 225/50-17x8 setup. The spoiler is off my 84 Trans Am, which is even now being fitted with a 454, tho there is no good reason for it.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:left click once on each pic, one ata time, for a big view.
Just for future reference, that's kinda common sense to most of the interweb by now :thumbleft:

Also, you didn't mean me Aaron right? I don't have an LS1 Fiero, mine's stuck in the V6 world.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I should clarify. I didn't think Wagener's book was worth what I paid. I don't believe his Getrag is surviving his claimed power. I would like to know if anyone else believes a getrag can hold, as his car should run 12s, as I would like to. And on the topic of books, IF Aaron the turbo DOHC 3.4 guy here does turn his now 17 page thread into a booklet, I would buy it, out of curiousity of the pitfalls and remedies.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm not going to make a book out of it, especially not one I'd sell. I put the info here for a few reasons. To help others, to show them what can be done, for help and different ideas on the problems I encounter, and to show off a little.

You're going to run into a lot of problems, especially with a swap so under-documented as the 5.3 LSX. You just have to find a good way to solve them, and ask as you go. Get the opinions of the people here, I know you don't believe it, but some really do know their shit.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Holy christ its fuel injection, you're already 30 years ahead of the majority of the V8 crowd. I'll be watching this one.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: starting my 5.3 with pics

Post by Series8217 »

Atilla the Fun wrote:Hey all, I have pics of my '84 Fiero 2M4, and of the 5.3L V8 I will try to install excellently, and get running legally.
Don't you live in California?
a) you can't put a truck engine in a car
b) you have to swap the whole drivetrain (that includes the transmission)

You won't be able to run it legally in California.
An LS4 is the only option for a California-legal Chevy V8 swap.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Holy christ its fuel injection, you're already 30 years ahead of the majority of the V8 crowd.
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote: Don't you live in California?

This is easy enough to get around. Series is convinced that the Nazis know the underhood of every car made like they know their own dick. It isn't so. They merely check to see if the required shit is there. They aren't going to check to see if you're running a 4T80e instead of a 4T65e, they don't know, and couldn't recognize the difference anyways.

You'll need to do a lot more than any other state, but it's still attainable. Just tell them it's an LS4, and hide the adapter plate.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

wagoner broke his 4 spd as I think his ls1 with nitrous was originally hooked up to. Icould be wrong on that though. Either way I heard that he has broken at least one tranny
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Aaron wrote: This is easy enough to get around. Series is convinced that the Nazis know the underhood of every car made like they know their own dick. It isn't so. .
He also lives in kalifohnia so he has first hand experience. You however don't. Iw ould be more inclined to believe him since he has gone through the process.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:
Series8217 wrote: Don't you live in California?

This is easy enough to get around. Series is convinced that the Nazis know the underhood of every car made like they know their own dick. It isn't so. They merely check to see if the required shit is there. They aren't going to check to see if you're running a 4T80e instead of a 4T65e, they don't know, and couldn't recognize the difference anyways.

You'll need to do a lot more than any other state, but it's still attainable. Just tell them it's an LS4, and hide the adapter plate.
Holy shit dude, when did you move to California? Give me your address so I can come over and punch you in the face.
I've personally been through the BAR smog exam. You're wrong.
It's not a regular smog check when you do a BAR smog exam.
The first damn question they asked me when I pulled into the BAR station is if I knew I couldn't put a FWD engine on a RWD car. I had to explain that I used the entire drivetrain, that I wasn't putting transverse on longitudinal, etc.. They didn't know Fieros but they knew the smog rules and what was what.
You CANNOT put a Chevy V8 in a transverse car unless its an LS4 and you use completely stock engine management.. they DO check; I had to go back TWICE because they needed to get documentation that my ECM including the PROM ID was correct for the drivetrain configuration I was using. Note that you can't put another motor in with LS4 engine management because it must have the DoD working since that's part of the ECM configuration. Not to mention the adapter plate making it totally obvious that the motor doesnt belong with that tranny...
MANY V8Archie swaps have been denied in this state because they had manual transmissions. Oops.. that was a lie. ALL of them have been denied with a single exception and we don't know whether or not the guy was paid off.
There is an ENTIRE thread on this on Old Europe by Terry Kelly, the master of California smog laws with respect to Fiero engine swaps.
Also, truck engine in a car is an automatic fail. You can't do it. As soon as they get the VIN info (which is required to proceed with the exam) and see its not a car, they will send you home with a fail.

That said, if Atilla doesn't live in Cali, or in any state that has California smog laws, then he might be able to do it legally in his state.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote:There is an ENTIRE thread on this on Old Europe by Terry Kelly, the master of California smog laws with respect to Fiero engine swaps.
I thought the conclusion of that thread was that you could use F- or Y-body engines as long as you had the same type of transmission (stick or auto) that the computer thought the car had to have (or that the donor VIN had...).

After all, those cars are RWD, just like the Fiero... :scratch: :thumbleft:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Series8217 wrote:There is an ENTIRE thread on this on Old Europe by Terry Kelly, the master of California smog laws with respect to Fiero engine swaps.
I thought the conclusion of that thread was that you could use F- or Y-body engines as long as you had the same type of transmission (stick or auto) that the computer thought the car had to have (or that the donor VIN had...).

After all, those cars are RWD, just like the Fiero... :scratch: :thumbleft:
I read it again. Looks like you can use transverse transmissions where longitudinal ones were used, as long as they have working VSS and any of the controls if they are an automatic. That enables most OBD I SBC swaps.
OBDII (thats all of the LS series) might not work out if the tranny controls can't be setup right. For a manual it may be possible.

It's still a hard set rule that you can't put a truck engine in a car though..

Anyway, maybe Atilla doesn't have such smog laws to worry about where he lives. I just recall seeing somewhere that he lived in Cali; but I might be wrong about that.