starting my 5.3 with pics

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Re: starting my 5.3 with pics

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Thank you!
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

How the heck did I get 24 pages in with nothing to show for it? That makes me feel like I've wasted much space, so I apologize.
Aside from having the Flu, there's nothing stopping me from making some progress. I got my garage somewhat cleaned out, and swept the floor. Yesterday I pushed the Fiero in, then added the 5.3 block and the transaxle.
I've hit another snag. LKQ is now offering complete 4.8L versions for $200, and that's less $ than just re-assembling my 5.3, for which I no longer have heads, anyway. In fact, I can't even find heads that cheap. I sold mine to pay the rent.
the good thing is that 4.8s were offered with manual transmission, so I can probably get it running with no tuning other than vats delete, and that alone should pay for the 4.8
275 HP at 5200 rpm, and 290 ft-lbs at 4000 rpm isn't great, but it'll do for now.
Pics soon.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Progress: pulled the cradle yesterday, got the '90 282 mounted to the '84 cradle, in the original '84 position, since this is gonna be the L36 combo after test-fitting the bare 5.3 block with the new adapter plate design. I want to be sure that this plate will do as well with the 282 as it did with the F40-MT2.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

indirect progress today: porting the heads.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Cammed 5.3 / auto, chassis dyno results: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet ... st14216393
Figure a loss of 22%, that's 410 HP with stock long-block, using small-valve heads. Probably the perfect street Fiero cam, but too much lope at idle for my liking.
Not sure how they got readings at 2700 rpm using a 3600-stall torque converter. And how they kept it from down-shifting. It's possible with electronic trickery, but at that point, lock the converter. They didn't do that.
I found an idle clip on youtube, Lunati's smallest VooDoo cam in a 5.3 truck. NO lope. Another clip, with the CheaTR V.3, in another 5.3, has a definite lope. The difference in overlap? Just 1.5 degrees!
The cam used in the dyno test I just linked, has an overlap difference of 5.5 degrees from the CheaTR V.3, so it'll definitely lope.
But I can't trust the VooDoo, either, because I'm at high elevation. That increases lope. To use the VooDoo, I'd need more displacement.

BTW, I'm nearly done porting and polishing the heads and exhaust manifolds. Just need to spend $98 on a set of new 2.00" intake valves, then get the intake seats cut to match. Then it's a 0.030" mill, then flow bench testing.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

extensive grinding on LQ4 6.0L iron block, to lighten, improve oil flow, improve coolant flow, and improve air flow between the undersides of the pistons, to reduce pumping loses.
First, a pic of the LM7 I had in my Fiero:
Now, a teaser pic of the first serious weight reduction on the LQ4:
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

here's another LM7 pic:
to show what I did to my LQ4:
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

zoom in
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

and roll it over
so the first one isn't done yet.
Anyway, I broke all my drill bits by this point, so I wondered how beefy the dipstick boss really needed to be:
If anyone needs an LM7 reference pic on that, just ask.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Obviously I still have much more grinding to do, but here's some older pics of the exhaust manifolds.
The port openings didn't need enlarging, but it does reduce weight, fight unwanted reversion, and doesn't hurt flow.
and
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I've also attacked the heads:
to
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

That last one I shot the pic before finishing, just to emphasize just how much is being cut there under the valve cover rail.
to
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

to
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

That last one is not finished, but shows what I'm doing.
to
and
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'll be polishing smooth where I ground on the outsides of the heads, because this looks awful.
And I am regretting that I removed the pics showing how well these exhaust manifolds do fit this swap.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

14 new views, makes me feel good. Thank you, you 14 anonymous viewers. Seriously. More pics within one week.
Last edited by Atilla the Fun on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Are you able to keep track of how much weight you're actually removing?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I failed to weigh anything before grinding, but I do have a virgin LR4 4.8L that I will be disassembling, and I can get some weights from that. Not the most scientific comparison, but it should let me know if I'm 5 pounds or 25 pounds, altogether. The head weight comparison will be spot-on, being identical castings.
I would like to find another pair of '00-'02 LS1 F-car exhaust manifolds, for my '84 Trans Am, and then I could do exact weights on the manifold porting.
I'll be using a TBSS intake manifold in my Fiero, because (1) it was just $129 new, and equals the top end of the LS6 version, with more off-idle torque. (2) I was so close to making the LM7 version fit my Fiero without any trimming of anything.
But I think it's heavier than the genuine LS6 version, and I sure can't afford that, let alone the preferred F.A.S.T. 90. At this elevation, the 92 wouldn't help even with AFR 215 heads.
On a related note, I have acquired everything necessary to start building my own wiring harness, and if this forecast proves accurate, I'll be starting that next week.
Credit where it is due, I will be making use of the excellent how-to thread created by Pocket.
My wiring harness and connectors came from a 4.3L '96 Astro AWD, my computer from an '01 Silverado 1500, my pinouts and diagrams from GM's LS1 swap booklet, and the computer came with the first 6" of all it's original wires. Plus my LM7s and LQ4 each included some sensors and some connectors.
The difference is that I see no need to remove all those 6" wires from those connectors. I just do more soldering, and more labelling with note-keeping. Masking tape and a fine-tip sharpie are good for labels on wires.
Tomorrow afternoon is more block-grinding. Same for Saturday afternoon.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I don't see too much weight coming off that block. Grind to your hearts content though.

Have you had any sort of LS running in your fiero at all or is this still your first time? REason I ask is because I think you are spending way too much time on all this little stuff like grinding of the block to make it lighter, when you can be spending more time on your adapter and getting all the clutch stuff worked out and get it running first. Then come back and do all these little mods later.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Shaun, and Will,
why push me to have a Fiero moving under it's own power? What don't you like about me doing it right the first time?
I wouldn't enjoy it if I HAD to get it running. But I have other vehicles for daily driving. So my Fiero can take what it takes.
I'm about 3 weeks from having my diesel pickup on the road again, then money-wise I'll be focusing on putting my Trans Am on the road again.
That means a salvaged 350, ( $ 165 ) a salvaged 700R-4, ( $ 120 ) new balljoints, a replacement RF spindle, ( from the salvage yard ) new struts, ( KYB GR2 ) new right-side rotors, ( NAPA ) rebuilt rear calipers, ( Rock Auto ) and a "set" of tires. Plus a windshield. Then it's ready for the safety inspection for registration. And a few cans of Krylon.
I typed "set" because what I have is a pair of '91 Formula 16x8" zero-offset wheels for the front, and a pair of Ultra 3-spoke 15x8.5" wheels for the rear, with negative offset. So they will not work up front. I'm torn on tire sizing, so I'm test-fitting bald 225/60s up front and bald 245/60s out back. I'm debating trying a new Firestone Precision Sport and a new Goodyear Eagle GT for the front, with BFG Radial T/A on the rear. But I'm equally tempted to just slap a pair of Falken Ziex ZE-512 on the front. In either 235/55 or 245/50. I could do 245/50s and 265/50s, and I think those look better. But they won't fill the wheelwells, and that looks worse to me. Plus there's only 1 remaining choice on earth for new 265/50R15s. So IDK if those might get discontinued. I hope not. Not knowing what way to go = Aarrgghh!!
With both of those running, I can make and sell V8 swap kits for the Z31. That'll pay for the Fiero stuff. Because my CNC-milled LSx-swap adapter plates aren't selling as fast as I expected. The Z31 / V8 kits are gonna do it, because I have NO competition.
My Fiero is for fun. Not stress.
Also, in about 5 hours, I'll no longer have internet access in my home. :(
See y'all when I see y'all.
Peace