Any sites for taking out a motor?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Any sites for taking out a motor?

Post by Fred Savage »

Ive never taken a motor out of a Fiero before, is there a site I can go to that has some pointers so me and my friends arnt scratching our balls all day figuring something out. Its not a 2.8, but a 5.7, will this make a diff?

Thanks all.
Gods motor is in my Fiero.
Lex

Re: Any sites for taking out a motor?

Post by Lex »

Is it an V8Archie kit? Maybe he has a write up on his site.

Don't post it here though. ;)

Other than that I am not sure....
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

Well yes and no, archies kit sucks ass. And you can make everything you need for next to nothing. Shit, all the mounts we made ourself out of 3/8" steel, that my old auto teacher gave me. I ended up sending 2 mounts back, and all I used was the felx plate adapter, adapter plate(which is a freaken anchore)and the front motor mount. Which I could have made anyway. I dont see where all the r&d is. Ryan could have had EVERYTHING made for me for half the price. You dont even get the dowl pins to line up the block with the adapter plate. Had to order them from GM. Shit im ranting too much here.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Is it F/I or carbed?

If it's F/I, you should disconnect the wiring harness from the bulkhead, water lines, fuel lines, battery, throttle/shift cables, A/C (by either removing the a/c compressor from the engine, or disconnecting the lines, brake calipers, e-brake cables, and you might have to do something special with the waterpump assembly, but I'm not sure what.

Then just drop it out the bottom like you would with a regular Fiero.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

So if its all dissconected it will just drop out? All the motors ive done were standard front engine rear drive. Sounds real easy, does it roll out on the rims? or does itneed to be ona dolly of some sort. Thanks guys.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

So wait, you're saying the adaptor plate you got from V8Archie wasn't 6061?

It's pretty easy to take the cradle out. Even I can do it!

Disconnect coolant, ac, clutch/trans related lines and cables.

Unplug the ECM, battery, anything else i forgot electronic related.

Jack the car up. Take rear wheels off.

Put a dolly underneath the cradle.

Lower car onto dolly.

Unbolt your calipers.(you can hang them from the strut tower so you can leave the brake line connected with hangers or just take them off and bleed when you put them back on)

Take out the top strut mounting bolts. Three per side if i remember right.

Disconnect the dog bone if you have one.

Take out the four cradle mounting bolts.

Get a cherry picker and pick up frame of car. I use the trunk latch. Rockcrawl uses the frame section that ties strut towers together. Rockcrawl's way is probably smarter.

Slide cradle out.

Did I forget anything?

I have some shots from when I put a cradle back in here: http://www.howard.saturnet.net/fiero/en ... Page2.html

if you are interested.
Last edited by eHoward on Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lex

Post by Lex »

I have played with the idea of buying an V8Archie kit in the past, but because of reviews like yours, decided it was a waste of money.
It's good to see the flip side of the coin, most of the tools at phagland would have cried bloody murder after reading your review of V8Archie's kit. Here we are a bit more objective.
An honest evaluation of a fiero product via first hand experience is welcomed. Thanks.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I have a feeling that when I get a CNC mill, I'm going to make some aluminum LSX series mounts for shits and giggles.
Lex

Post by Lex »

eHoward wrote:I have a feeling that when I get a CNC mill, I'm going to make some aluminum LSX series mounts for shits and giggles.
That would be great. Not very many LSX Fieros out there. I suspect V8Archie has deliberately delayed his LSX kits because he hates the fact that they are far superior to the 2nd Gen F-body engines, which he absolutely adores.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I have a feeling that V8Archie has delayed his LS1 kit because he's an asshat.
Lex wrote: That would be great. Not very many LSX Fieros out there. I suspect V8Archie has deliberately delayed his LSX kits because he hates the fact that they are far superior to the 2nd Gen F-body engines, which he absolutely adores.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Yeah, he's waiting for someone else to make one first. :lol:
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

This guy? http://alansfiero.ls1swap.com/
Lex wrote:Yeah, he's waiting for someone else to make one first. :lol:
If my memory is correct, I think the timeline was V8Archie started trying to do a LS1 swap in '99 and didn't get it or a single other one installed until LS1swap published how to do it in '04.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

How hard could installing a sbc be.... All I could see buying fom him is the trans adapter, flex plate adapter, and starter. Once you have those pieces the swap is no different than any other engine conversion.

Everything in my 3.4 is basically custom made, only thing that helped was the fact that the starter could be reused, stock neutrally balanced flywheel and clutch. With a few pieces of Archies kit, the installation difficulty is the same.

Oh, and I would buy the altenator mount as well, not that it would be hard to make but it would be done.

Archies manual trans adapters are aluminum and the autos are steel, or they used to be. I think both may be aluminum now.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I dont' have a dolly so I have been known to take my engine out through the top.

Its paid off a lot too. I usually end up having to roll my car around with the engine out. If the whole cradle is out its a bit tougher to do.

Of course trying to take a v8 out the top will prob be a bit more challenging if not impossible.

FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

Its not that the adapter is particuly heavy, but its thick as hell. I just measured it and its 1.5" thick. WHich doesnt sound like much, but we needed all the space we could get. Ifyour doinga SBC, all you really need is te flex plate and adapter plate. The rest is cake. Dont get the starter he recomends, im on my 4th, or 3rd, one of the 2. Anyways, thanks for the info, sounds prettyt simple actually.

Oh, and as for LS1's. I have an LT1, and Ryan told me an LS1 would have been easier. Dunno why V8Archie hasnt done em yet. But then again, Ryan is an automotive genius. Cantcomment on V8Archie, he hasnt done anything to mycar. But ive heard mixed reviews.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I'm curious why you're taking the motor out. :?:
Fred Savage
LT1 boy

Post by Fred Savage »

Busted the return line for my remote water pump. It broke off in the block, so I gotta drop the motor to access where it broke. I was going to procharge it(I still may)I dont know if im confident enough to tackle that though.