If you had $500 for upgrades...

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

derangedsheep

If you had $500 for upgrades...

Post by derangedsheep »

Ok, let's say that I had $500.00 to spend on upgrades for my Fiero. Now I'm not talking about only go fast parts. I'm talking power AND handling.

Currently the car has:
KN Filter (1-2hp maybe)
NGK Plugs (I think they give 2hp on the dyno, big deal)
FS Rear Sway Bar
2.25" Catback with a new cat
New front suspension (all balljoints, tierod ends, swaybar mounts and links, control arm bushings, Gabriel shocks)
Gabriel struts

What could I do for $500 that would be worthwhile? Oh it's an 87 GT Auto.

-Steve
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I would sell the 87 and get an 88.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

[puts on ignorance hat] If the 88 is so great, why did they cancel it that year? [/takes of ignorance hat]

But seriously, fuck you. I hate you fucking 88 owners who think you're the shit because you have a better suspension design. Mine was made from parts kicking around the GM warehouse and yours was designed especially for the car. It's pretty obvious that a suspension that was made from 'scraps' (for lack of a better word) isn't going to be up to par with one specifically designed for that car and ONLY that car. But that doesn't mean mine is shit.

It's like Corvette owners who think every other car on the road should be sent to the junkyard because it's not a Corvette. Piss off.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

derangedsheep wrote:[puts on ignorance hat] If the 88 is so great, why did they cancel it that year? [/takes of ignorance hat]

But seriously, fuck you. I hate you fucking 88 owners who think you're the shit because you have a better suspension design. Mine was made from parts kicking around the GM warehouse and yours was designed especially for the car. It's pretty obvious that a suspension that was made from 'scraps' (for lack of a better word) isn't going to be up to par with one specifically designed for that car and ONLY that car. But that doesn't mean mine is shit.

It's like Corvette owners who think every other car on the road should be sent to the junkyard because it's not a Corvette. Piss off.
Wow, dang dude, you need some Midol, I was giving you advice. If I was in your position, I would upgrade to an 88.

So you agree that the 88 suspension has a huge advantage over the 87, so why not upgrade to an 88 car? I wasn't trying to be a dick and act like my car is that much better than your's, I was simply trying to say that $500 plus the money from selling your car is good enough to get a nice 88 Formula or GT, and I think it'd be a wise investment.

As for the reason the car was disscontinued, I think it has been debated enough. The reason the car was cancelled was solely a result of the 84 Fiero. The 84 got a bad reputation for fire, people thought it was unsafe becuz it was small, it was down on power, etc. Well for what GM intended it to be, it was perfect. It was a great daily driver work car, with good gas mileage. Well later on, enthusiasts started getting into them, realizing their potential as a sport's car. GM exploited this with the sporty GT look, the then respectable V6 engine, and in 88 the new suspeniosn. But by this time the car's reputation was already soured by the earlier models, and it really had no chance to be the next Camaro or Corvette.

If GM had started with the idea of a sports car, it could still be here today.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Ah yes, Aaron knows all. :puke:

Anyway, I would get a good set of lowering springs or I would do drop spindles in the front and coil overs in the rear. Lower the center of gravity a little bit and make the suspension a little stiffer for cornering/launching. It worked good on a friends 87 GT. His car handles just as good or maybe a little better than my 88. And yes, my 88's suspension is modded too.

If you wanted more power you could always get Darrel Morse to port a set of intakes and a throttle body. He doesnt charge too much and it helps out.

You could get a set of stock exhaust manifolds ported. Thats another good power gain.

You could do some serious work and get a bigger cam too. Get the heads proted. Get some roller rockers. But all of that would cost a bit more than $500. I think your best bet would be to lower it a little bit and get your exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds ported. Thats what I would do.
88 coupe: 2.0 turbo 4. T25, w2a, meth injection
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Fast88Fiero wrote:
You could do some serious work and get a bigger cam too. Get the heads proted. Get some roller rockers. But all of that would cost a bit more than $500. I think your best bet would be to lower it a little bit and get your exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds ported. Thats what I would do.
Word. Get some lowering springs and shocks struts and a new alignment. then get ported exh manis installed, and ported intake as well with a ported tb. YOu won't feel much gain, but you will prob get like around 10 or so from all that.

$500 isn't much of a budget sorry.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

$500 isnt a budget...its pocket change

the 88s improvements dont make them that great...they still look bloated and girly...not to mention one of the heaviest Fieros built.

If someone offered me a 85gt or a 88gt......85 no questions ask.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

I agree with Donk's "pocket change" comment and also Aaron's '88 comments.

If you want to stay with your car, find another $100 to add to your budget and buy either a set of good tires or a set of Konis.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Yeah, I know $500 isn't much. I'm an unemployed high school student and $500 is about all I can spare.

I had thought about the ported exhaust manifolds. How much power do you gain from them?

Shaun- You said shocks and struts. Are the Gabriels no good? They only have about 3000 miles on them. So it's not like they will wear out or get shitty any time soon.

Fast88- I cut 3/4 coil off my front springs so I guess I would be getting rear coilovers next. I also have a front battery box somewhere in my garage (yay carlisle raffle prizes). So if I get that in, the CG will be even lower than if it was just lowered. What stiffness would the rear springs have to be? I would want it to be ride similar to stock. Not a whole lot firmer.

I definatly don't want to do a cam. I don't want to have to drop the cradle. But maybe rockers. I heard that porting the intake doesn't give all that much.

Doug- I did forget to say that the car has a set of 17" wheels with 215/45 up front and 235/45 out back. They're Potenza RE950 so I already have a good set of tires. As for the Konis. I don't want a ride that is really harsh and I heard that Konis on the softest setting are rougher than Gabriels or Sensatracks. Is that true or just Old Europe BS?

Aaron- I fucking know why the Fiero was canceled. I'm sad to say it, but I'm like a walking Fiero encyclopedia. I'm not selling my car. Maybe in wherever you live, 88s can be had for really cheep. But in PA I havent seen any cheep ones. Everyone thinks they're made of gold or something.
Aaron wrote:If GM had started with the idea of a sports car, it could still be here today.
GM wouldn't let them start with a sports car because of the Corvette. They HAD to say it was a commuter car. So that point isn't even worth bringing up.
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Aaron wrote: I wasn't trying to be a dick and act like my car is that much better than your's,
And yet you were able to pull it off so well for not trying. Good show, you have a bright future as that asshole that everyone puts up with, but nobody likes.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Weren't you talking about selling the car recently and buying a Jetta?

If you are thinking about selling the car, maybe you should put another $500 into it which isn't going to add value to a potential buyer. Maybe you should put the money into a savings account? That's what I would do. Even if it's just to save for that set of Konis or a northstar or whatever.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

eHoward wrote:Weren't you talking about selling the car recently and buying a Jetta?
Golf GTI. But anyway, I have a couple of CDs rolling aroud soon which is what I would use for most of or all of the money for the Golf. So I shouldn't need to sell the Fiero. I had forgotten about them which is why I was thinking about getting rid of it.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

My coil overs were cheap. I used the Honda threaded sleeve and perch setup. I cut the stock spring perch off of my rear strut and slid the new sleeve and perch down to the bottom of the strut. I ordered a set of 10" 350Lb springs for the rear and put them in there. I started out with 12" 350 lb springs which rode really nice but were too tall to get the car as low as I wanted it. I have the set of 12" springs sitting in my garage that I would sell. The will lower the car good, I just wanted more. I like dragging my exhaust over speed bumps.

I'll get some pix tomorrow.
derangedsheep

Post by derangedsheep »

Would the 350 springs be about like stock? Or as stiff as lowering springs? If so I would be interested. I'm not into radical lowering, the roads around here are shitty. I'm looking for a 1-1.5" drop or so, maybe 2" tops but probably not lower than 1.5".

Would these spring perches be what I want?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91-HO ... dZViewItem

Shipped thats about $44. Can they be had for cheeper? I saw some cheeper ones on eBay but they didnt have 2 perches. I figure 2 is better, less chance of it loosening.

Or is something like this better?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HO ... dZViewItem

That has 1 perch but it has the screw to lock it.
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

derangedsheep wrote:the roads around here are shitty. I'm looking for a 1-1.5" drop or so, maybe 2" tops but probably not lower than 1.5".
You definitely don't want a 2" drop, and if your roads suck then 1.5" may be too much.

The stock Fiero has around 6" of travel at each end of the car and stock ride height is about in the middle of the travel. That means stock, there's only 3" of travel before you hit the bump stops. If you lower it 2" you only have 1" of bump travel. You'll be hitting the bump stops all the time.

I'd go for a 1" lowering. I think 1" lowering and 16" rims with 50 series tires make a Fiero look just about perfect.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I have some 325's around too. They rode really nice. Michigan roads are shit too and my car is slammed. I might have some extra perches around somewhere too. I'll have to look. I'm not sure what the stock spring rate is, maybe someone else will know?!
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

derangedsheep wrote:Would these spring perches be what I want?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91-HO ... dZViewItem

Or is something like this better?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95-HO ... dZViewItem
I've used both styles and I find the second one (single screw to lock) much less hassle. Both styles are both equally secure and neither has any danger of coming loose.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Duvall, WA
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Well sicne you have new shox and struts already then I would do some intake work and exh work, and if you have some left over go with an underdrive pulley.

$500 should get you the port work on both and maybe some left over.
whipped

Re: If you had $500 for upgrades...

Post by whipped »

derangedsheep wrote:I'm talking power AND handling.
$500? Pick one.

Go fast - Used nitrous kit.

Handling - poly everywhere, update any dead parts like shocks/struts. Maybe upgrade to an 88 cradle if you're handy, otherwise it may be beyond your capability.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

RCC bumpsteer correction kit, full poly kit and aluminum cradle bushings, and a rear swaybar.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair