1st Northstar Autocross

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

Zac88GT1

1st Northstar Autocross

Post by Zac88GT1 »

I finally got the car back together and out for an event. This was my first event running with the northstar engine. The victoracer tires have been sitting unused for a year so they will take a few events to bring back to life. The first run out was quite slippery but they improved on every subsequent run. I was afraid that the northstar would lack the low end torque comming out of the hairpin that the old 4.9L had, but that really doesn't seem to be an issue. The engine is running strong and I got lots of comments on how nice it sounds. I only got G-Tech data from 1 run (ran out of memory, I haven't unloaded it in a while). The session stats seemed allright at peak of 1.09 G's to the left and 1.17 G's to the right, but i'm sure those will improve as the tires scuff in (first real event for them), and as I play with tire pressures. Not sure what my tire pressures are at because I forgot my gauge. I ended up being the 2nd fastest car there, 1st was my friends corvette. I beat a new 911 turbo by about 2 seconds so i'm fairly pleased. Anyway, here's an in car video of my 2nd run. (52.something +2 cones) Best run was 50.88.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76sJJ8kwk0
I'll post up the G-tech data when i have a chance to download and sift through it all.
whipped

Post by whipped »

We need more drivers :thumbleft:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

awesome man!

And to think your car handles just as good as calikids!
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Re: 1st Northstar Autocross

Post by Aaron »

Zac88GT wrote:I beat a new 911 turbo by about 2 seconds so i'm fairly pleased.
Someone definitely needs to learn how to drive, that car should annihilate any Fiero built.

However, it's good to hear that the car performed well. I would be quite shocked if you were ever at a lack of power with that. I wouldn't doubt it holds right with a 4.9, even in the lower RPMs.

Nice runs!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Zac88GT1

Post by Zac88GT1 »

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Nice run! It does sound pretty good.

Aaron wrote:
Someone definitely needs to learn how to drive, that car should annihilate any Fiero built.
Maybe on a road course but auto x is a different matter. Anything that is light and has good down low torque will do well at an auto x. The driver is another big factor.

A tail heavy porsche with turbo lag probably isn't the best auto x car there is. Get it out on an open road where it can row through gears and it will come alive.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote: Maybe on a road course but auto x is a different matter. Anything that is light and has good down low torque will do well at an auto x. The driver is another big factor.

A tail heavy porsche with turbo lag probably isn't the best auto x car there is. Get it out on an open road where it can row through gears and it will come alive.
Trust me dude, there isn't a Fiero you could dream of that could stay close to a 997 turbo, even on an AutoX. And I wouldn't say the turbo's lag much, you have full boost by 2000rpm, and it runs to 7. No exaggeration.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Aaron wrote:
crzyone wrote: Maybe on a road course but auto x is a different matter. Anything that is light and has good down low torque will do well at an auto x. The driver is another big factor.

Trust me dude, there isn't a Fiero you could dream of that could stay close to a 997 turbo, even on an AutoX. And I wouldn't say the turbo's lag much, you have full boost by 2000rpm, and it runs to 7. No exaggeration.
Have you ever autocrossed Aaron?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yes.

And I've driven a 997 turbo extensively. There is not a better car made. It can rule, it can dominate, most any situation. An amazing feat of automotive engineering.

Yes, it can dominate an AutoX track. The description given by another, of whom I forget, was that it is a complete weapon--In the right hands. My hands aren't the right ones, nor are 95% of the hands that touch them. But for the last 5%, it is a weapon.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

2 seconds is huge. I say driver error.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Miata can beat a Murcielago in an AutoX.

Flashy name doesn't mean AutoX master.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You need to drive one then, because it isn't the name. In fact, I think the name brings down the car. I don't think people realize how serious of a car it is.

In the wrong hands, I can see how it'd be awful. I couldn't drive it to half of its potential, especially on an AutoX track. But I get enough of a feel for it in different places to know that if someone were talented enough to bring it all together, it'd be brutal. I can honestly say there is not a better all around performance car. Any track, and production car as competition, I'd be willing to bet that it'd go away first.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Zac88GT1

Post by Zac88GT1 »

Here's another video, this one is from the outside.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OoB4h1sdF8
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hard to believe that is a refined, Cadillac engine. Sounds like a nasty small block cammed to high heaven. I love it!!!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Aaron wrote:You need to drive one then, because it isn't the name. In fact, I think the name brings down the car. I don't think people realize how serious of a car it is.
Serious or not, a lightly modified Miata will kill it around an auto x track. You need light weight and neutral handling to do well. I'm sure a Lotus Exige would also beat it. No car can be great at everything.

Great video, those headers really make your car sound good. Have you done anything suspension wise?
Zac88GT1

Post by Zac88GT1 »

It's got all poly suspension bushings, koni shocks all around, WCF lowering springs in the front (350 lb/in), rear coil overs with a 350 lb/in rate, stock sway bars with poly bushings and a z28 power steering rack.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Aaron wrote:

However, it's good to hear that the car performed well. I would be quite shocked if you were ever at a lack of power with that. I wouldn't doubt it holds right with a 4.9, even in the lower RPMs.

Nice runs!

I have autocrossed porsches for 15 years.... (944 ,911,964,997)

WTF are you talking about??

Turbo's are Lethargic Pigs in an autocross.. They aren't nimble and a well prepped Boxster S is Faster.. Do you even go to PCA events of just spout BullSHIT CONSTANTLY!!

in Zone 1 PCA last year N/A 2wd cars dominated over turbo AWD's by 3+ seconds. Autocross isn't about HP and AWD , it's about transitions and the ability to manage weight transfer... The Turbo is impressive , but in an autocross it's outclassed. For fuck sakes a Turbo miata could lay smack down on pretty much any modern 911..

I thought you ""HAD"" a 996Turbo.. Hence I kept this pic of you...

Keep in mind when posting your Bullshit response that I have autocrossed longer then you have been driving , and when I say I have driven porsches I am not lying...welll like u.

Street driving is so far different then autocross. Please show me results or pics of where you have autocrossed anything resembling a porsche .

everytime I get some small shred of respect for you , you spout off BS trying to look like the big man..

Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Zac88GT wrote:It's got all poly suspension bushings, koni shocks all around, WCF lowering springs in the front (350 lb/in), rear coil overs with a 350 lb/in rate, stock sway bars with poly bushings and a z28 power steering rack.
The PS rack with a short lock to lock is exactly what I want as well. One thing that bothers me after driving my GTR is the fieros steering. It's heavy and you have to move the wheel way to much to take tight corners.

Watching your video it's apparent what my car seems to be lacking, rear end stability. At moderate speeds, if I rock the steering side to side the car feels like a fish. The rear end doesn't feel attached to the front end. I think an 88 cradle and suspension is in my future.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Nice front-wheel lifting there JM.

And nice video Zac. If I were to ever build a Fiero to actually track, the PS rack would be project #1. It looks so much easier to manage out there with it.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

well i don't know what to tell you about turbos sucking for autox. are TTOD champion drives an evo. dominates with it. usually faster then anyone on the field be atleast two seconds. the only guy that can compete with him drives a gt3. out of the top five guys in are 100 car club 4 of the 5 are turbo. 2 evo's, 2 sti's, and a vette. it all depends on the class of the driver. i'm not sticking up for aaron at all. just telling you about my club.
my fiero is faster then yours. the end. except you fieroX :P