1st Northstar Autocross

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

Post by befarrer »

A guy here in Edmonton has a ford festiva he auocrosses, it is gutted to the max, but has a stock engine and suspension, and racing tires. He is one of the fastest cars out there, besting a lotus exige on slicks, and many sti's, both modified and stock. His festiva is putting out about 70HP at the crank, but no turbo lag, and good weight transfer makes it handle good.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: 1st Northstar Autocross

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

THE PUNISHER wrote: Image
Little too much front bar?
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Billybo455 wrote:well i don't know what to tell you about turbos sucking for autox. are TTOD champion drives an evo. dominates with it. usually faster then anyone on the field be atleast two seconds. the only guy that can compete with him drives a gt3. out of the top five guys in are 100 car club 4 of the 5 are turbo. 2 evo's, 2 sti's, and a vette. it all depends on the class of the driver. i'm not sticking up for aaron at all. just telling you about my club.

an EVO is a completely different ball of wax then a 997 turbo. The EVO is designed to be nimble , it weighs less and has a different esign focus. The 997 turbo is a GT car....
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Billybo455 wrote:well i don't know what to tell you about turbos sucking for autox. are TTOD champion drives an evo. dominates with it. usually faster then anyone on the field be atleast two seconds. the only guy that can compete with him drives a gt3. out of the top five guys in are 100 car club 4 of the 5 are turbo. 2 evo's, 2 sti's, and a vette. it all depends on the class of the driver. i'm not sticking up for aaron at all. just telling you about my club.
turbo sizing changes everything between autocross and street - the real kicker with turbos and autocrossing is when the boost hits too hard and you lose traction because its not a smooth controlled torque rise. the evos and sti's are AWD so they rarely have an issue with power application not being timely like a fwd or rwd car will.

rear engine porsches can be fast but without a good driver they can also be a handful. the best porsche for an autocross is a 914 (modded of course)
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

the 997 uses a VNT turbo , but still ..it's a big girl...

Just because it's powerful doesn't mean it's an autocross weapon

Aarons lack of knowledge when it comes to porsches becomes more and more apparent.. Read 6-speedonline , a 2 sec search of ""what car should I get" will yield a ton of ""if you want power get a TT , if you want handling get an S"" responses.

For someone who has had ""extensive"" time in a 997T , you really don't get it.. Just admit your a fucking liar.

Here is my classroom and it's what I base my findings on

a good point to make is this....

We had an autocross this weekend at Shannonville MSP's Skid pad.. it's a smaller lot with a short course... Now a fucking retard would say .. ""Take the 911 it's the greatest car ever I have extensive time in them""

A Dumbass like me took a C4 L98 vette.. Why?? Low end grunt. Which is far greater at low speeds.. The car also manages harsh transitions better then a car with all the weight over the rear....

Overall I had 100hp+ less then some of the other cars...

and I turned FTD by .6 of a sec....

I would love to see you autocross Aaron , probably looks like a monkey fuckin a football..next you are gonna tell me how well the camaro handles..hahahaha
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

i said gt3 not 997t :P

i've only auto x'd about 3 years now. i try and do atleast two events a month. i've got a tight one and then we have one done on the air port which is pretty nice. i really would enjoy trying a exige for an event or two. i think that would be a killer car.
my fiero is faster then yours. the end. except you fieroX :P
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

the pic above is fantastic.

:salute:
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

elises are getting really cheap...I have seen a few under 25K out there with 40-50K on them..
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

I never got to autocross my Fiero with the northstar. but locally it was pretty competitive as a 6cyl.

My weekend fun

Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cool, driving the piss out of that car. Sounded like some powershifting taking place.
emod19

Post by emod19 »

There is one problem with autocrossing an Elise.

I don't fit in the damn thing.

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

i have a t top fiero for that same reason :P
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

I suffer from the same problem. I don't fit into an Elise, S2K, or Miata. I barely fit into my Fiero with my helmet on.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Since Im asian , I don't have those problems.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

THE PUNISHER wrote:Since Im asian , I don't have those problems.
Dang, and to think, all this time I was thinking you were Canadian....weird!!!
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Zac, I didn't see you mention it...how far off were you from FTD?

Bryce
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

THE PUNISHER wrote:Since Im asian , I don't have those problems.
I had you pegged for a Canadian redneck for years. :scratch: :thumbleft:
Zac88GT1

Post by Zac88GT1 »

Nashco wrote:Zac, I didn't see you mention it...how far off were you from FTD?

Bryce
I ended up 1 second behind FTD which was my friend hamish. He drives an 84 vette with z51 suspension, victoracer tires, qa1 shocks, poly suspension bushings, built 700r4 with full manual valve body, and a built 350 on propane. I was in the first run group and after seeing other people run after me I definatly could have picked up a bunch of time on the back stretch. If the weather is nice this weekend I'll be at another event on sunday. I can't wait.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Do you have your build documented anywhere (like on Pennock's)? I see on your youtube videos, I'd be interested to read/see/hear more about the build.

Bryce