Yet another reason why Christianity is pathetic......

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

EBSB52

Yet another reason why Christianity is pathetic......

Post by EBSB52 »

We could argue this untill the end of time, but the best way is to empirically test the logistics.

- 60 seconds in a minute

- 3600 seconds in an hour

- 86,400 seconds in a day

- 150,000 people die on the earth everyday

= do the math, ~1.74 people die every second, all day long.

OK, so Jebus is up there sorting the naughty from the nice, believers from the haters; how is it possible that he or it could ever ensure there would be no errors in his qualifying process?

Ok, so Jebus and dad are sharing the duty, renderring slightly less than 1 person per second and are still overwhelmed, so they enlist the help of angels. They have a committee of hundreds, possibly thousands of angels and gift their powers of heven or hell to this huge committee. What makes us believe that there wouldn't be gross errors or corruption? I mean, has an angel ever defaulted, fallen out of honor with the guys in charge? I can think of one named Licufer...... wonder what the good book says he's doing these days?

Anyway, you could be a straight-up Jebus lover and meet a fallen angel at the pearly gates only to find this angel has decided to fuck everything up by sending the non-believers through and the believers down south so he can deal with them later.

That's just one scenario, but the point is that Jebus and dad would be so overwhelmed that they couldn't keep up with the heavenly qualifications, not to mention the constant miracles that are expected and the occassional parting of the Red Sea, of course they enlisted Moses for that.

If there are Christians here, this will probably piss them off; so what? I guess you can always defer to, "Jebus works in mysterious ways."..... I wish evolutionists could use the same ignorant out when cornered...... actually, no I don't, this is why I find science so much more believable.
chuck

Post by chuck »

Christians like science. Jesus died for all mans sins.
EBSB52

Post by EBSB52 »

chuck wrote:Christians like science. Jesus died for all mans sins.
Uh, most don't like science, they've been recently admitting the obvious that they rejected in decades/centuries past. They, as a whole, have realized how ignorant they look by saying things like dinosaurs are manufactured to fool people from Jebus. On that line, some still saying dating techniques are wrong and that the short earth theory is correct; which way do you go with that?

- Short earth = 6-10k years

- Long earth = ~4 billion years

As for Jebus dying for sins...... oh....ok. Hell, we can't keep the facts straight for 1 day, let alone > 2k years after being revised / reinterpreted several times.

But thatnks for empirically going thru my assertions point by point :scratch:

Remember, religion is a cult and church is a business..... keep it (the rhetoric) in context.

You'll not admit this, but you believe in Jebus for 1 reason; your parents do/did and raised you that way. Most people's beliefs, religious and other, are very close to that of the peope who raised them..... it's simple socialization.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

EB, you need to resize your image.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Silly EB, Math is for Sinners.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

EBSB52 wrote:
chuck wrote:Christians like science. Jesus died for all mans sins.
Uh, most don't like science.
I'm a Christian, and I love science.

I don't like theories that change ever 5 years being taught as fact because it confuses people that don't know how to think for themselves.

but sure go ahead an insult away.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

EBSB52 wrote:You'll not admit this, but you believe in Jebus for 1 reason; your parents do/did and raised you that way.
or because of life experiences and personal realization through the process of independant thought.
EBSB52 wrote:Most people's beliefs, religious and other, are very close to that of the peope who raised them..... it's simple socialization.
"Most" people don't think for themselves, and most of the "christians" that were raised by christian and got to church twice a year and spend the rest of their life not living as one are christian in name only because they choose to call themselves one.

I think your main problem is that you are confusing organized religion with actual Christian faith.

but we've gotten into religion discussions before and it was obvious a long time ago that you are just on a soap box and uninterested in seeing another view.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Right. Science is so much more believable than religion.

1000 years ago science said the earth was the center of the universe.

500 years ago science said the earth was flat.

Today science is screaming "Global Warming". How old does science say this planet is? ~4billion years you say? How long have we been keeping track of weather patterns? ~160 years? Now I don't know what kind of education most of you had, but I would have failed my HS science project if I had made an assertion like that based on a control group that was only a .00000004% sample.
chuck

Post by chuck »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080610/ts ... 2ltj4PLBIF Your scientific dating guesses just went from 120 million years to 40 million years. How long can the guessing game keep up until you start to doubt it?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

lucky80 wrote:Right. Science is so much more believable than religion.

Actually religion said the earth was the center of the universe and it was science that proved otherwise.

Actually religion said the earth was flat, and science proved it wasn't.

if you didn't go along with the church you were a heretic and was burned or excommunicated. Galileo was excommunicated from the catholic church because he said the earth wasn't the center of the universe. Excommunication meant that when you died you were going to hell, no way around it. I mean seriously, do you think someone is going to hell because some guy with a white pointy hat sitting in a chair and his fellow minions say so? Who aer they to judge?

Learn your history please.

200 years ago the church claimed we were the only forms of life in the whole universe. I think if you asked the pope that question today, he might not know what to say considering what science has realized as far as how life can live in the most inhospitable places even if it is in the microbial fashion. Its still life. And if that is possible, who is to say other intelligent life isn't possible.

Global warming is a hoax. Some scientists are idiots. Not everyone is buying into it. Todays youths are being brainwashed and its going to be used to create a tax just for being alive.

Hell Australians are already being taxed on newborn babies. Why? Because of their "carbon footprint" that the babies are going to leave on the planet. Yep being taxed as soon as you are born. Not sure if it has to be paid every year, or just at birth, but I am sure its going to be a tax that will have to be paid every year just like when you have to get new license plate tags.

Did you know when license tags were first introduced, it was done on the premise that it would help find stolen cars, and that you would only need to ever buy just one? Hell it was an easy sell to the public because who wants their car stolen and not able to be found? Yep renewals didn't exist, you bought one plate and that was it. Now you have to buy a new one every year.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Just a sidenote and a derail of the original topic, but do you know why the US govt gave GM and the big 3 huge tax breaks to build SUV's instead of giving tax breaks to invest money into building more fuel efficient cars?

Its because the gas guzzling suv's got horrible gas mileage. The worse mileage it gets, the more gas you have to buy, the more gas you have to buy, the more tax revenue is generated for the federal govt. Its a fucking scam!!

California has passed a ton of laws to have all these super fuel efficient vehicles to be on the road, and in the meantime their tax revenue on gas has gone down the shitter compared to what it used to be. So they have to raise the taxes on it!

Just think about it, if people stopped driving completely and used public transportation or 80 mph skooters to get around, the govt would lose billions in revenue every year which would have to be made up somewhere else.

They don't want that of course, which is why fuel economy hasn't changed much in the past 25 years. Hondas in the 80's were getting 40-50 mpg. What do we get today from hondas? 35-40. And thats considered good by most people. WTF happened to 40-50?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Okay, of all the arguments you could've picked, you picked this one? The logistics of sorting people into heaven? Weak point. I mean seriously, if an entity has the power to create all that exsists and there is some sort of other plane such as heaven, I don't think normal time constraints are going to apply to either.

I do agree there are many flaws with organized religion, but this argument is weak. If you want to dwell on time constraints why not point out the conflict between the age of the planet as chronologically explained in the Old Testament and scientific dating?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

EBSB52 wrote:But thatnks for empirically going thru my assertions point by point :scratch:
Kohburn wrote:but we've gotten into religion discussions before and it was obvious a long time ago that you are just on a soap box and uninterested in seeing another view.
Ditto. EBS, you've made it abundantly clear that you have made up your mind and have absolutely no interest in discussion. You might as well be the lunatic on the street corner holding the "REPENT" sign.

And... yeah, I don't need to go through your assertions as they are irrelevant to the point of being frivolous (the legal definition) in the ontology in which you are trying to argue.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I'm a Christian...I'm not sure what the whole deal is with being overwhelmed with 1 death per second. I doubt that a omnipotent being would have nearly as much trouble with that as we might...Consider this though...A high-end graphics card can do about 1 trillion mathematical computations per second.

EB, do you believe in the sciences because you were taught by someone when you were a child, or because you JUST KNEW it must be right?

It's silly to discredit something in the name of "science" because you can't understand it. It's also silly to try to ignore an easily explainable scientific fact in the name of religion. But, both have been done, both are being done, and both will be done.

I believe that God created this world (using WHATEVER manner, does it matter?) and bound us and the universe to his created laws of physics. He gave us a curious nature and a desire to learn so we could thrive in this world. To try to pit religion and a "scientific" explanation of the world together is probably a losing battle for both sides, because both are necessary.

There's probably a lot of tuna out there thinking they're the biggest fish in the sea, too.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Im another one of them there Christan types... that also likes and works with science. To each, their own, man... To each, their own.

EB, you've sucessfully convinced everybody that you don't believe... Ok.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

EB, please empirically go through all of these assertions point by point.

Thank you. :salute:
lucky

Post by lucky »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
lucky80 wrote:Right. Science is so much more believable than religion.

Actually religion said the earth was the center of the universe and it was science that proved otherwise.............
Sorry, Shaun, but it was religious people, not religion that said the Earth was the center of the universe, and back then you either went along with what was believed or you were burned as a witch. Nowhere in the Bible, in any version, does it say the Earth is the center of the universe, it was common belief back then, and since the religious leaders held more power than the government leaders (in most "civilized" countries), you are correct in spirit, but not in fact. I know my history quite well, thank you. I also know most major religions quite well, though I currently don't practice any religion.

As far as global warming being a hoax, that was my point exactly. It's mass media sensationalism perpetrated as science. We had a climate shift. Plain and simple. When that massive tsunami struck Malaysia a couple years back it was traveling the opposite direction as the rotation of the Earth. It hit with such force that it temporarily slowed the rotation of the Earth. IIRC this changed the rotational axis by about 6 degrees, after things 'stabilized'. Russia has had the coldest winters on record, here in New England we had only 2 or 3 serious snowstorms the last couple years as opposed to our usual dozen or so. Florida had frost this past year (why strawberries were so expensive this spring). Hurricanes from the south Atlantic have been heading into the Gulf more often than they head up the eastern seaboard, the exact opposite of a few years ago.
It's all part of keeping us from asking the questions we should be asking. Like, if we've got such a hard on over policing the planet, why are we not doing anything about the wholesale slaughter in Darfour? Or, Where are the UMD's that UN weapons inspectors found after the first Iraq war? What about the smallpox brewing equipment they found? Better question, WHY THE FUCK DID THEY LEAVE THEM IN IRAQ BACK THEN?

Karl Marx said it: "Religion is an opiate for the people." Today we also have TV.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

lucky80 wrote:When that massive tsunami struck Malaysia a couple years back it was traveling the opposite direction as the rotation of the Earth. It hit with such force that it temporarily slowed the rotation of the Earth. IIRC this changed the rotational axis by about 6 degrees, after things 'stabilized'.
This is completely wrong.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

not to mention comical.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Really? Completely wrong? Source please. Comical? Maybe. Explain the recent weather pattern changes then please.