fastest fiero?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

1 kagillion mph
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

That's the same idiocy that wasn't funny when you said the 282 can hold a fafillion ft-lbs of torque.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

lowlux wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:1 kagillion mph
thats how fast i was going down on your wife when you was away at work....
yea, I don't think that's possible because Shaun doesn't have a job... always on the internet looking out for earl and V8Archie :thumbleft:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

lowlux wrote:
thats how fast i was going down on your wife when you was away at work....
Nice one lowlife. hey third grade called, it wants its joke back.

you got a paypal acct? I want to send you $.59 so that you can go buy a Mcdonalds cheeseburger.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I dont know why people are so obsessed with top speed. Who cares. You can make a Fiero go 300MPH, but it will probably take 3 hours to get to that speed, and in everyday driving, will be the slowest thing on the road.

To get speed, you need to sacrifice acceleration. I would rather have a car that can accelerate fast than have a high top speed. You win races by out accelerating, not by top speed.

I think my Fiero can out drag any gas powered top speed record holder car in the 1/4 mile. But 4 miles down the road, they might be starting to catch me.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

befarrer wrote: To get speed, you need to sacrifice acceleration.
Where do you get this idea?
lucky

Post by lucky »

Theoretically Befarrer is right. As far as gear ratios alone are concerned, the higher the top speed you build for, the longer it takes you to accelerate to that speed.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The fiero is the wrong platform to be worrying about how fast it can go top speed. I don't trust them beyond 120mph or so. The front aerodynamics are horrible for lift at speed. Not to mention the great big low pressure area behind the rear glass....
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I havent had mine past 175KM/h, I have the formula style front bumper, but I am missisng the lower air dam piece, so my bumper is higher than the underside of my Fiero, I was getting alot of lift and it was wandering bad at that speed even.

If you have two cars with identical engines, the one with the lower top speed will usually accelerate faster. Unless you get more gears to make up the difference.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

A salt flats car might have 1000+ HP, but be geared for 250 mph+ top end. The only production based trans that can come close to that is the TH400 (although a 4L85E should probably be able to do it also). Needless to say, low speed acceleration would be lackluster with 2.29 rear and 2.20ish first gear. Of course a 6 or 7 speed Lenco could make up for that...

I still don't think it could be beaten by a Fiero in the 1/4, though.

Top speed course is usually a total of 5 miles: 2 for acceleration, 1 for timing and 2 for deceleration. The course is run in both directions back to back and the times averaged to get the "official" speed.
lucky

Post by lucky »

crzyone wrote: Not to mention the great big low pressure area behind the rear glass....
Been thinkin about that myself. I'm considering removing my cracked sail windows and just smoothing the edges of the hole for looks. I figure the low pressure behind the glass should help pull air in over the deck vents, and possibly lower engine bay temps. Dunno what kind of sound it will make at speed though.....
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

That was the point, to pull air up from under the car, through the engine bay and out the decklid vents to keep under hood temps down.
<Insert Sig Here>
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

hey Will, if you want a stick that can hold 1000 ft-lbs, Rockland Standard Gear can do you a t56, they call it Tranzilla, and G-Force can do the Richmond Gear 6 speed likewise, plus they, like Jerico, manufacture their own 5-speed that will do the trick.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Fastback86 wrote:That was the point, to pull air up from under the car, through the engine bay and out the decklid vents to keep under hood temps down.
Ok, but a convection current over the vents should increase that effect.