DUKE HELP

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

slow'n'steady

DUKE HELP

Post by slow'n'steady »

well it has spark and fuel, but it wouldnt start, so after the advice of several members i just did a compression test. absolutely nothing!!
the guage didnt even come off 0. i could feel air shooting out the holes in the top of the valve cover as well as around the head, so i figured blown head gasket and possibly rings. would a bad HG make a car have 0 compression???

well i had an hour B4 i had to go to work so i decided to pull the head of and take a gander, after pulling the head off my 84 a few months ago, i was expecting to see carbon filled pistons and valves and all that nasty crap, but i didnt, i found this.

http://img5.picsplace.to/img.php?file=i ... engine.JPG

the rings look to be good still (is there a way to check them without taking the pistons out?) the headgasket was pretty rustey and beat up.

NE IDEAS?????

i am jus hoping i dont have to replace the engine, cuz if i do im sellin and starting an ANTI FIERO club, cuz this will be the second fiero i have blown a bunch of money on for no reason. my 84 actually just got hauled off about 10 minutes ago, i invested over $1200 and got $200 back in parts and $75 for the car (what was left)

so like i said.. anyone have any ideas?? should i just replace the HG and see what happens?

also sense i have the head off would it be worth getting a P&P job done??
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Looks like a total headgasket blowout. Take the head to a machine shop to get it freshened up, checked for cracks, and make sure that it's not warped. Don't worry about a P&P, it's useless on a duke. Slap the head on with a new head gasket and you might be good to go.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

holy crap those are the cleanest duke pistons i've ever seen

i'd say it was a total head gasket failure - if there is no sign of damage to the cyl walls then i'd imagine the rings are fine and you just need to make sure the head isn't warped from overheating from a gasket failure that bad.. or swap on a known good head and be done with it
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

And stop buying 4 cylinder Fieros!
slow'n'steady

Post by slow'n'steady »

believe me

if i could afford a V6 i would buy it!!!

still thinkin about th e3.4L swap later down the road. (til i get my other project done this is my daily driver)
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Yeah, I would say take the head to the machine shop and get it checked for cracks. Also be sure to check the block for cracks too. I worked on a car with the 2.5 that had no compression and it had a cracked head. If everything come back good then reassemble the engine with new gaskets. :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Pistons are clean cause it's been curning water...

Freshen the head, reinstall with new gasket.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The head on that motor is also really clean!

Water in the cylinders doesn't equal clean pistons all the time, my 3.4's were anything but clean. They had 1/16" of shit built up on em...

Don't bother building it, you'd be much better off with an engine swap.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Water sitting in the cylinders obviously doesn't make an engine clean. Having water in the cylinders during combustion events does.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Aaron wrote:The head on that motor is also really clean!

Water in the cylinders doesn't equal clean pistons all the time, my 3.4's were anything but clean. They had 1/16" of shit built up on em...

Don't bother building it, you'd be much better off with an engine swap.
thats why you need a catch can
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Water sitting in the cylinders obviously doesn't make an engine clean. Having water in the cylinders during combustion events does.
:withstupid: