Hard to shift into first

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

TurboGT

Hard to shift into first

Post by TurboGT »

From a stop I usually have to wiggle it into first on my getrag 5 spd. I assuem this is something inside the tranny that is worn.
What part would be worn out?
Is there anything I can do besides tear the trany apart to help is shift a little easier?
ITSA6

Post by ITSA6 »

how are your shift cables? mine were bad and it was a bitch to get it into first.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

I have a Rodney short shifter on it and when I was installed it I inspected the cables. They looked fine but I dont know where they are subject to wear the most. Is there somewhere on the cable I should be looking for wear?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Have you re-adjusted the linkage? That can make a big difference.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

eHoward wrote:Have you re-adjusted the linkage? That can make a big difference.
Would I want to put more tension on the cable or release it some?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Follow the steps in the haynes or chiltons to adjust your linkage. If its still stiff then its either the cables, or its something internal.

I will say this. My getrag has over 80k on it and it shifts a bit rough but I think that has to do with the linkage. I adjusted mine but its still feels a bit notchy going into first and really notchy into second. I miss second a lot while racing because its very hard to pull it back into second. It feels like it gets hung up on somehting. I think its my cable not moving very freely. 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th are real easy to hit. I have had to replace the select cable as that broke. I think if I switch cable to a rodney replacemetn it wont' shift so stiff anymore. However if it still does then its something internal.

I say adjust your linkage per haynes or helms manual, and then buy new cables if that doesnt' work. If the cables dont' work then its something internal and not much you can do about that then unless you rebuild or replace. Your cables are really old so I just recommend replacing them anyways. Can't hurt.
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

Sounds like a good project for me this weekend.

Thanks Guys :boobies: