Took the fiero to an autocross

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Took the fiero to an autocross

Post by crzyone »

Well, I was the fastest mid engine car but a damn turbo miata was stupidly fast in SM2.

Anyways, here are the results
http://www.mrheavyfoot.com/files/result ... _8_fin.htm

No pictures yet, not sure if any were taken.

Impressions- Understeer. The major limiting factor in any corner was how fast the front tires would let me turn. It was really frustrating. The car felt like it could be go much faster if the front end would just bite.

So I need some sort of camber adjustment, and maybe run the front tires at a lower pressure. Although a bit of understeer is a good thing, too much of it just kills any fun. It felt like steering a ship, hard over and wait lol....

I was pretty glad to beat 2 other experienced mid engine car drivers, this was my first time ever racing the fiero. Ben did well too. The MR2 had a JDM 4AG swap with ITBs and such with suspension mods. He weighed all of 2200lbs, he should have beaten me no problem.

Any suggestions on how to reduce understeer (without sacrificing rear grip to give an illusion of less understeer). The back end felt nice and planted. When I did manage to oversteer I was able to recover every time, I didn't spin once. Only oversteer I had was on quick transitions which is expected.
Billybo455

Post by Billybo455 »

that adjustable front sway bar and some time tuning it :)
my fiero is faster then yours. the end. except you fieroX :P
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I liked making love to those cones lol. I think I will try putting some more camber on my front and rear for next time. Mine is all over the place, my front right tire even has positive camber lol. I am suprised I didnt hit any cones on either fun run, especially since I was completely sideways with opposite lock and my foot on the gas going through one gate lol. I wonder if your softer front springs made a difference over mine, either good or bad.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

They are not that much softer.

I don't see how an adjustable front bar is going to make me understeer less. Maybe adding a rear bar will reduce overall body roll and help plant the front tires? I have no idea what works on a mid engine car like the fiero.

I think I need to get a suspension book and start reading.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I was thinking that we should have a go at driving each others car around the course, see if that rear swaybar in mine makes a difference, along with the much less weight over the rear. I ran with my spare installed too. Try to keep as much weight on the front as I can.