Getrag info

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Getrag info

Post by Atilla the Fun »

this may not be the place for this, and this might not be helpful, or it might be obvious, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag_282_transmission

About half of the 282 info is incorrect in some way, and I think that's a picture I took that was probably lifted from Old Europe. I'll have to check my home computer to be sure.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

well, that's more help than their write-up. Thank you.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think I remember reading somewhere that someone called Getrag and asked for info about the 282 and Getrag denied ever having a 282.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I think I remember reading somewhere that someone called Getrag and asked for info about the 282 and Getrag denied ever having a 282.
They called the wrong guy. I have a buddy that used to work at Getrag's US engineering headquarters, the 282 isn't taboo or anything there, the older guys were quite familiar with the project. They even gave us a super cool vintage late 80s/early 90s "Getrag 5 Speed" sticker to put on our LeMons car. I'll see if I can dig up pictures, it's a bad ass sticker in a retro sort of way.

Bryce
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getrag_282_transmission

About half of the 282 info is incorrect in some way, and I think that's a picture I took that was probably lifted from Old Europe. I'll have to check my home computer to be sure.
I took that picture and put it on the article. I never posted it on Old Europe and I hope you didn't post it as your own :-P. I posted it here though. It's in the 282 thread.
I also wrote most of the (original) article. Everything in the first paragraph and the list under Gear Ratios is straight from the Muncie service manual I showed you awhile back.
Some douchebag came along and added a bunch of crap with "rumored" gear ratios and the oldsmobile silhouette and all kinds of other crap. ARgghh. I've fixed it before but people keep added that stuff.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I've taken a similar picture and couldn't remember if I've posted it or not.

I may be able to dig up enough correct RPO vs. ratio info to build a table or two that have enough correct info to make the jackass STFU.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I've taken a similar picture and couldn't remember if I've posted it or not.

I may be able to dig up enough correct RPO vs. ratio info to build a table or two that have enough correct info to make the jackass STFU.
Cool. What's on the table right now is just what I copied out of the Muncie service manual for the 282.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I feel it's good that we have this thread tom let everyone know it has errors, and to ask Will, or go to Rodney Dickman. On a related note, I'm sending Tremec an e-mail this afternoon proposing they spend a few minutes considering our plight, and can they help us? I think half you guys would like a 2.97/2.07/1.43/1.00/0.70 gearset, and I'd like a TKO500 in Fiero packaging, with a 3.00:1 posi, but if they could just give us a stronger Getrag case to keep that pocket bearing from blasting into the clutch, and maybe a 3.00:1 final gearset, but I'd really like an Auburn posi, too!