Need Brake Help!

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Need Brake Help!

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

After a ton of set backs (had to pull calipers off my 84, had to buy new hardware etc etc) I got all 4 calipers on! Had my dad jump in the car, to pump em up, a couple pumps, POP brake line blew apart, right in my face convieniently. It broke at the junction where it feeds the passanger rear caliper on the inlet side from the front of the car. Never dealt with brake lines before, can I got get a foot section of line from autozone, a compression fitting or two and splice in a new section?

What size line is the fiero?

Any tips on how to remove the fitting out of the junction box without damaging the other lines?

I hosed it down with PB blaster and am going to bed. I am getting up at 7am and have 3 1/2 hours to have my car on the road. Think I can fix the line by then?

Also got bleeding tips for a system with a ton of air in it?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I use a pressure bleeder to bleed quickly.

Was the line rusty? I would be concerned about other parts of the brake system about to do the same thing.

www.inlinetube.com has Fiero brake lines. I think that would be a better permanent fix.
CincinnatiFiero

I am concerned, but I will see what I can do none the less.
CincinnatiFiero

Well, taking out the T fitting I broke the other side, didn't even take any force, just broke off. Went to Autozone and Smyth, no one sells that big ass fitting that goes on the side coming from the master cylinder. Time to pony up half a billion dollars for all new lines. My grandmother wanted to see my car at her 75th b-day this afternoon, but thats not happening. Fuck it I am going to buy the kit and replace everything.

On a side note, before I drop like $200+ anyone want to buy a 1987 coupe with a gorgeous L67/4T65 swap with 0 miles on it, $3,500. needs brakes...
CincinnatiFiero

Just called the fiero store they had them in stock, used my .nL discount, I wonder if RFT counts as a club...

$161.30 shipped, and since I did priority they will mail them out today.

Got part 56002, 7 piece stainless steel line kit.
whipped

Post by whipped »

CincinnatiFiero wrote: On a side note, before I drop like $200+ anyone want to buy a 1987 coupe with a gorgeous L67/4T65 swap with 0 miles on it, $3,500. needs brakes...
Goes fast, stops slow.

:blah5:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Just called the fiero store they had them in stock, used my .nL discount, I wonder if RFT counts as a club...

$161.30 shipped, and since I did priority they will mail them out today.

Got part 56002, 7 peice stainless steel line kit.
I've got their kit on my Formula, well worth the money. With everything setup I had all the lines replaced in a bit over an hour.

Make sure, if you don't already have them buy some flare nut wrenches, I bought both a Metric and SAE set. I believe the Fierostore kit uses SAE. The new fittings are a bit soft and easy to destroy using a regular wrench.
CincinnatiFiero

I don't want to take it all apart cause I want to be able to look at the stock routing and mounting as I replace them but I am going to hose everything down with PB blaster today and tomorrow to ease disassembly tuesday or wednesday when I get my lines.
CincinnatiFiero

Wow it came in today! Fast shipping. I don't like the "shipping bends" in it, but what can I do. I need to start working on this crap, I want to drive this biznatch. Should I hit the fittings with teflon tape? I did go out and buy two sets of flare nut wrenches, 6 sae, 6 metric, bastards are pricey.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I was ticked when I shelled out the $$ for a stainless clutch line and it was in a "U" in the box.

Shouldn't need any teflon, just get it tight.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

You'd probably get raped on shipping if they didn't do that, the lines might be long enough they'd have to be sent Freight.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Inline Tube does the same thing with shipping bends. There's a tutorial on the Inline Tube website showing you how to get the shipping bends unbent.

Stainless work hardens and stainless flares are difficult to get to seal. You'll have to use a lot of torque on the fittings. You won't need teflon tape because the threads aren't what seals, the flare is. You may, however, want to use anti-seize on the threads so you can get them apart in 5 years (or are the fittings stainless too?). Anti-seize will also lubricate the threads and help you get the compression to seal the flare with less torque on the fitting.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Xanth wrote:You'd probably get raped on shipping if they didn't do that, the lines might be long enough they'd have to be sent Freight.
I completely understand why they do it, any dimension greater than 48" and FedEx shipping skyrockets, UPS is above 50".
CincinnatiFiero

Thanks for the tip on anti-seize... now to see if I have any left... Got a speed bleeder and 64 ounces of DOT3, wish me luck!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Thanks for the tip on anti-seize... now to see if I have any left... Got a speed bleeder and 64 ounces of DOT3, wish me luck!
No sweat.

If you use anti-seize, also get some on the tube between the tube and the fitting, as the tube & fitting frequently seize together after years on the job.

Just be careful about getting it in your brake fluid... try to avoid that.
CincinnatiFiero

Wow did archee design this kit? The rear line is a total shortcut across the back of the car. The line that runs down the car misses all the stock mounting points and in the front trunk its way too long. The drivers side tube required some bending to even get it near the car but it sticks out at all the wrong angles. The line the goes to the passanger front caliper... where do I even start, its too wide for the car, has a HUGE dip in it. I am pretty sure they mailed me the wrong kit. I took pics they will be up later. I am so mad right now its ridiculous.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Did they send you an '88 kit instead?
CincinnatiFiero

I dunno, I took pics I am too beat to post them, tomorrow morning I will post them up. Hopefully they will take them back despite that I have installed some of them and bent one of the lines.
CincinnatiFiero

I think I talked to Jason (something like that) at the fierostore, great guy, knew his shit. Turns out I have an 84 front line and he is mailing me an 87 line out today with a prepaid return shipping. And he is going to call the company that makes the lines to make sure their jig is okay because although my lines fit... ish they aren't even close to perfect. He said the fresh stainless can handle being bent, so I guess I will fenagle them into place. All in all A+ for the fierostore.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

People (typical Fiero owners) complain about Fierostore prices, but FS seems to have their act together. I don't mind paying a few $ more if I get good service and good support. McMaster-Carr is another example of a place that REALLY has their ducks in a row.