Need Brake Help!

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Let us know how it works out... I'm considering a fairly large order from them, soon, including the SS brake lines.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

That's kind of odd, my 88 kit was dead on at all locations, including the rear one.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Fierostore mailed my lines in 2 days! wow thats awesome! But the front line was wrong. So on wednesday of last week I talked to justin and since they didn't have another kit in stock they had classic tube drop ship a front line to me. Well its 5 days later... Called fierostore, they called classic tube... who never mailed my line. I'll have it wednesday at the latest (or so I am told). Which sucks because this car is supposed to be my DD so I can save some gas rather than driving my wrangler. More setbacks, my fave.
CincinnatiFiero

Line came today, perfect fit! Whoever made this line was paying attention. Cannot say the same for the rest of the kit. I give it a C, yeah its pretty stainless and its about 50% right, for a $159.95 direct fit kit, its absolutely atrocious. The rear line on an 84 is totally different from an 87, despite what they told me, yes it winds up in the same place and will work but it hits 1 of 3 mounting points. It will work and based on how poorly they handled my last problem its not worth my time to get an 85-87 rear line.
CincinnatiFiero

Finally got them all on. Start bleeding the rear brakes, no air after a few pumps. Pedal still isn't THAT hard. Go up to the front brake, open the bleeder, nothing, pumped again, nothing. Removed the bleeder totally, pumped, nothing. Took the hose of and pumped, nothing came out the the hose. WTF could be wrong I am so unbeleivably pissed right now.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

You are closing the bleeder again before letting the pedal up right?

If you leave the bleeder totally open the brake fluid will just be going back and forth in the lines as the pedal comes back up.

I use a vacuum bleeder for when I don't have anyone around to help, works quite well. If you have time you can just open all the bleeders and let it sit and gravity bleed.
CincinnatiFiero

The rubber hose is clogged or collapsed. I took it off and tried to dump some alcohol in it (thinnest thing I had around) and it won't go through. Fluid shoots out of the hard line when you push the pedal so the line and proportioning block are fine. Smyth autoparts in getting me a hose today, it'll be in tomorrow morning. $23, wohoo.
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

Not to sound like an asshat, but if you're going through the trouble of replacing all the hardline, there is no good reason to use old rubber hoses. None at all.
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Mach10 wrote:Not to sound like an asshat, but if you're going through the trouble of replacing all the hardline, there is no good reason to use old rubber hoses. None at all.
I did it because I was a cheap bastard. Then I bought the braided FieroStore lines and they fell apart on me.

Now I have Raybestos.
lucky

Post by lucky »

earl's has a number on a 4 pack of direct fit braided stainless. IIRC I paid about $100 from summit.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Hopefully they're better than this:

CincinnatiFiero

Passanger rear line is new, drivers front it new, so only 2 are old. I really should have bought earls kit but I am low on funds right now. And the otehr 2 lines APPEAR to be working. Got mine line today!
lucky

Post by lucky »

I rebuilt all 4 calipers, new pads/rotors and earls lines when I bought my car 2 1/2 years ago. No problems yet. :thumbleft:

EDIT: Doesn't come up under summit's lookup anymore. I can get the part # where I used to work if anyone wants it.
CincinnatiFiero

Okay, so you know the 4 prong pad clips? That don't come on the cheap pads so you have to try to "re-use" them? Yeah screw that noise I tried to jerryrig the clips on with jb weld because I was so damn frustrated. Forget that, I don't feel like dying when I try to slow down after putting 10 cars on a 3.4dohc. Who sells pads that come with the clips already in them? Preferably o'reilly, autozone, advance, pepboys, smyth, something. Cause I'd like to hold them in my hand and know they are right. If not give me somebody online who you know sells pads that click to the piston with no backwoods engineering
lucky

Post by lucky »

Bendix #'s 261 and 262 (front and rear respectively) come with new retaining clips installed. AAP can get them. They're a little pricey tho.
AAP's Wearever Silver series pads I think have the clips on them, but I'm only 80% sure of that.
CincinnatiFiero

AAP?
CincinnatiFiero

Only place I can find bendix's are on amazon.com $51 shipped, for semimetallics jesus. Is bendix the only option with the clips?
lucky

Post by lucky »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:AAP?
Advance Auto Parts. They don't stock the pads at the store level, but the national distribution center in Tenn has a few sets on hand at any given time (IIRC no more than a 3 day order to get them in store). AAP is getting like $63, so $50 from amazon isn't that bad. Fair warning, for whatever reason, the Bendix Titanium Metallic pads seem to not like some cars at all. I haven't had any problems with the ones on my fiero, but the ones on my wife's lancer have been nothing but trouble (as long as I can get warranty swaps I'll keep using them tho). Had the same experience with customers cars when I used to sell them; some cars they were great, some cars awful.
I had one of my friends who still works there pull in a set of AAP's econo pads, Wearever Silver, they do have the clips installed, and they're under $20 a set. #'s are the same as bendix #'s MKD261 (front) and MKD262(rear).

Also, I was wrong about the brake hoses, the ones I got are from Russel, not Earl's.
EDIT: Part # is 692110, and Summitt actually has 4 sets on their eBay store right now for $99.
CincinnatiFiero

Well I am hesitant to spend $50-$60 on pads because I plan to do the 11.25" brake upgrade as soon as I get rims. I will go to advance today and see if I can order those pads.
CincinnatiFiero

Ordered the econo pads $23, they come in tomorrow. If they have the clips YAY, if not, I'll pony up $52.99 or whatever they wanted for the wagner ones.