Looking for some radios

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Looking for some radios

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Put this here because it is motorsports related, close enough I hope.

I am looking for some radios that will work with at least 3 working in conjunction, have a large range (a few miles), and have the ability to work with a handsfree headset.

Helping a buddy get into showroom stock racing and while hes going to pick up the car I am hunting down the radios.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

Your best bet without blowing the bank are some FRS/GRMS radios. The driver will probably need to use the push-to-talk feature, as even a stock car will get pretty noisy during racing conditions and the sensitivity is really hard to dial in so you'll get tons of unnecessary noise or block out the driver talking. The PTT isn't bad, just put a button on/by the shifter. We've tried a couple of different setups in our endurance races and while the FRS wasn't perfect, it worked just as well as our chatterbox and was WAY cheaper.

Bryce
CincinnatiFiero

Got a link? Cost is important.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Don't skimp on radios. I tried an el-cheapo $30 set for a road trip once. They were complete junk.

I don't think I'd spend less than $50 per unit after that experience.
CincinnatiFiero

I am not sure of his budget, I know he is serious about this, $150 probably wouldn't be an issue, its a thousand dollar item that is too much. He flew to texas this morning to pick up the camaro, and will be driving it back. Hopefully things work out and the car ends up being good.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

My bluetooth compatible chatterbox with power adapter, 2 headsets, headset extension cable, PTT button, etc. was nearly $500 new. Waste of effin money. A decent trio of FRS radios will run you about $100-150. I got a trio of Motorolas that are decent (not great but not horrible) for $100 at Costco and that included headsets with built in PTT button and mic and a charging base that would charge all three simultaneously. That's been a year ago, so no idea if they even have them anymore.

Bryce