It's a car! It's a Bra! It's a Fiero!

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

It's a car! It's a Bra! It's a Fiero!

Post by crzyone »

Took my Fiero racing yesterday, someone there took some good pictures.

Race results are not posted yet but I didn't do very well. The car still refuses to turn, especially low speed corners. I lost a lot of time in some sections because I had to basically crawl around slow corners. I think the Miata guys set up the course.....

I get a lot of compliments on the car, people say it sounds badass. If only I could get it to turn I would be a whole lot happier with it. I want neutral handling, not severe understeer....
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

The right pedal corrects understeer is you push it all the way down and let the left pedal out really fast.

Whats your suspension setup?
whipped

Post by whipped »

Suspension/tires/alignment specs?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:The right pedal corrects understeer is you push it all the way down and let the left pedal out really fast.

Whats your suspension setup?
If I did that I would grenade my transmission. Might be good advice for a drifter, horrible advice for anyone with a V-8 fiero, getrag and sticky tires.

I don't remember my alignment settings but I'm blaming it on not enough front camber, 215 tires in the front with 245s in the rear and lack of sway bars.

I have poly bushings, aluminum cradle bushings, good shocks and struts and Intrax lowering springs. I'm thinking 225 tires in the front with more camber and a rear bar would do wonders for my car.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

You should drive my car at next event, I should be there, forgot to register here till it was too late.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

:thumbleft: It sure looks fast in the pictures though!
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

Rear bar , Koni's cranked to full stiff in rear , moog problem solver ball joints with lots of camber up front

Front springs should be 4cyl factory units with dropped spindles and an 84 front bar (smallest year). if you have koni's up front 1 click from full soft.

say good-bye to understeer.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Why would you use 4cyl soft frront springs? I have my 86 front springs, off of a base coupe, I had mega body roll, and slow responce. This year I used the stock springs on crzyones car above (that he took off) they are WS6, and it is much stiffer. I am also using a 16mm rear sway bar too.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

The front suspension on an 84-87 Fiero is crappy at best. It needs to be softer so that it works (digs in). Stock springs , but with DROPPED spindles... stock ride height will make it just wash our , fuck with the center of gravity. You want the front end to be slightly lower then the rear... Come into a corner hot , brake late to increase the front contact patch , then turn and accelerate out. One of the best upgrades you can make is a good set of front pads ,or a complete brake swap with a proportioning valve.

If you can drive a fiero fast you are better then the vast majority of drivers. It takes a lot of skill to make one quick through the cones... driving a prepped miata by comparison is child's play.

I started off with Eibachs on my car , Koni's out back cranked full stiff , 1" bar front and rear... 11.25" brakes , prob solver ball joints. 225's front , 255's rear.. Worked great , predictable great all around track/ street setup.

a good autocross setup will differ from a good track setup. An autocross car will be twitchy at higher speeds.

I tossed the Eibachs in favor of ground control 390lb. springs in back and kept the eibachs up front. This wasn't the best setup, just didn't want to turn in.

The eibachs were tossed upfront for Koni's , stock 4cyl springs on Streetdreams dropped spindles.. The car started to work really well , but still understeered at the limit a tiny bit. I swapped the front 1" bar for a stock 84 bar (which I was told was smaller , never checked) on poly. This gave a great feel and rid the car of understeer. For the track I would just put the 1" bar back on. It made the car understeer a tiny bit ,but controlling the car should the rear end get loose was a LOT easier then with the smaller , or no front bar.

I got rid of the ground controls because the spring was too short.

www.stockcarproducts.com

got the same rate in a 10" spring from carrera. More travel , worked better ,I was happy.

I haven't autocrossed a fiero in 5 years , but I did run my car for about 8 years locally and in the US in CSP. This is what I found worked best for me on predominantly street tires. Race tires are different.

I removed the front steering damper , gave a somewhat vague feel at center ,but made low speeds more tolerable.. Not sure if I would put it back on...

PS.. you don't need some BS , bolt on "tubular"" suspension. The fastest of the fast (George Ryan , AP 84 ) ran it , never liked it , so did a few others that would be considered the fastest in the fiero world. It's shiny and impresses the Old Europe types, but offers no real advantage.

The fastest is still an 84-87 car with an 88 rear swap. Thats not BS , it's literally what the fastest autocross fiero in the country runs...don't ask me why it works , it just does.
Fuck you Shaun , one day those little boys will talk and when they do you will get yours.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I should try a wheel allignment lol. My drivers side is toed out front and rear, and the passenger side is somethign different, and I think I have PSOITIVE camber on my front right tire lol. That and my tires are about 5 years old. I like my setup, the car is way more responsive, but I did alot of changes from last year. I was bottoming out my front suspension on braking with my old stock front springs, and they were not cut, that screwed up cornering ability if you are already bottomed out coming into a corner. Levi's car is good, too bad we couldnt have taken each others cars out and compared handling on the same track before he sold it though. I have one more autoX this year, I hope I can make it, it is on the same runway as pictured above, I have not driven on that track with this suspension, it is faster than the other location, but I will do a custom allignment, and change my muffler for a better one, which is also louder. :afrocool:

Here are the results from my last autoX I did, I think I did not bad, last year was my first year autocrossing, I did 5 events, this is my 6th of this year, so my 11th autoX total.

http://www.mrheavyfoot.com/files/result ... un_raw.htm

This was the fun runs, I did crap in the timed runs, I made out with too many cones, I hit as many as 5 in 1 run lol.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

My fiero's wheel base is longer on the drivers side then the pass.

car has never been in an accident and I have had it since 17,000 miles.

A1 build quality.
fierogt28

Re: It's a car! It's a Bra! It's a Fiero!

Post by fierogt28 »

crzyone wrote:Took my Fiero racing yesterday, someone there took some good pictures.

Race results are not posted yet but I didn't do very well. The car still refuses to turn, especially low speed corners. I lost a lot of time in some sections because I had to basically crawl around slow corners. I think the Miata guys set up the course.....

I get a lot of compliments on the car, people say it sounds badass. If only I could get it to turn I would be a whole lot happier with it. I want neutral handling, not severe understeer....
Get an 88, period... :thumbleft:

BTW, nice pics in action... :salute:
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

effective use of sail panels :)
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My next car will be a Factory Five 65 Coupe or GTM supercar.
www.factoryfive.com
I like the GTM, mid engine and LSX power.

I want to get more serious into racing, 2200lb cars are much easier to make fast.

Depending on how much I like my new GTR, I may sell it in the Fall and buy a FF.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Not sure it would be under 2200, but I've been thinking that a GTM with Duramax power would be awesome.
whipped

Post by whipped »

crzyone wrote:My next car will be a Factory Five 65 Coupe or GTM supercar.
www.factoryfive.com
I like the GTM, mid engine and LSX power.
You forgot cheap. :la:

It's like a fiero for cool kids.
My fiero is aliiiive!!
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Completed GTMs cost $50-60 grand according to the people that have already built them.

Need a decent donor Vette (I would get a ZO6), the $22k kit and other odds and ends like a Porsche transaxle, which isn't cheap. Usually $4-8k

If I do it I fully expect to pay $60k so I won't be surprised in the end. I don't plan on a lot of the luxuries such as carpeting, A/C and that sort of stuff. Plan is to keep it as light as possible. 2200lbs is conservative.

Will, why would you want to turn the car into another 3000lb car with a diesel? You probably won't have much luck finding a car transmission to handle modded diesel torque.

The 65 Daytona Coupe has it's allure as well. It is also 2200lb. It is basically a front mid engine car, which is pretty awesome. It uses Mustang parts. There is something nice about having $40 brake rotors if it's going to be a race car. Optional 3 link or IRS. And, it's got body lines that are still drop dead gorgeous today.