Aaron's build thread.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Aaron's build thread.

Post by Aaron »

I got this code after scanning my Fiero today. Anyone have any idea what it is for/caused by?

1995 OBD1.5 Monte Carlo Z34 computer.

Thanks a lot, the scanner didn't have any info on it, nor does my factory service manual.
Last edited by Aaron on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

A friend who knows a lot about cars, though very little about my setup in-particular, suggested it may have something to do with the EVAP canister purge solenoid. This sounds logical to me, as I removed that entire system, including the wiring to it. However, I never told Ryan (Darth-Sinister Performance) that I did this, thus never asked him to remove the system from the chip.

Sound logical?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
whipped

Post by whipped »

It means that the ECM was expecting a bypass signal from the ignition module, but it wasn't received. Basically if the engine RPM is above 400 (i.e. not cranking) it should get a bypass signal to say it's okay to control timing now.

Could be a bad wire or bad ICM.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I took the code from a 1996 Monte Carlo 3.4, and a P1350 Bypass Line Monitor code goes over the system you just described. I'll take a look at that when I get the chance.

The car runs good though...So not sure of the affect.

If/when we get the Lumina back running, I can check to see where its timing advance is at idle at a few RPM points, and compare mine.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
whipped

Post by whipped »

If the ECM isn't controlling timing it will be a static 10 degrees.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Weird, I put my scanner on it, both at idle and revving to 2500 or so, and timing was not static, and was much farther advanced than 10. It was at like 50 or so, and jumping around with the revs and stuff.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Of course the ECM is going to report adjusting the timing when you read it on a scan tool. This is not necessarily the same as real life timing, though.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

If it sets that code, it doesnt matter what the ECM says the timing is on the scantool. It's actually 10 degrees.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I have been having a slight ignition timing problem after the car stalls, and we're thinking maybe this is related, and I think I also know where this problem is coming from. The wires to my ignition are too short, and are really stretched, so maybe the bypass wire isn't connecting well, or some of the time. I'll have my harness out on Saturday, so I'm going to redo them then. We'll see, I'll update.

Thanks for the help!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:The wires to my ignition are too short, and are really stretched, so maybe the bypass wire isn't connecting well, or some of the time. I'll have my harness out on Saturday, so I'm going to redo them then.
Yeah, your swap is absolutely perfect and you're fully justified in being an arrogant ass to everyone in the universe about "doing things right".

:knob:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

My apologies. Apparently when you put a coil pack somewhere that it wasn't meant to be, and has never been before that we know of, no one knows how long the wires should be. And I can't measure in the car, because I do have the tightest engine bay here.

Look, no engine swap is perfect. But considering all that I've done to mine, shit you've only dreamt of (God knows you haven't done it), there will be problems. I never said mine was faultless. I said it was running good. And it is. Every day.

It's a Fiero. I think that's all that needs to be said. But you can talk shit when your piece of shit northstar has half the fabrication and pioneering that my swap has.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Aaron wrote:It's a Fiero. I think that's all that needs to be said. But you can talk shit when your peice of shit northstar has half the fabrication and pioneering that my swap has.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

So let's think about that one for a minute...

Your engine bolts right to the stock mounts.
The stock flywheel bolts right to your engine.
There's a clutch on the market that at least stands a chance of holding your engine.
You're far from the first to turbo the 3.4 TDC.
You borrowed a map from Matt Hawkins.

Where's the pioneering and innovation? :scratch:

So I had...
Cradle fab
Mount bracket fab
Flyhweel modification
No good clutch on the market
Overhaul my own transmissions, and do so for customers.
Made my harness with wires the right length, sell people more like it, and have NEVER had a wiring problem.
Ran 12's.

How many 12 second timeslips do you have? :scratch:

Oh yeah, and I was getting that car on the road before you had your driving license.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

So let's think about that one for a minute...

Your engine bolts right to the stock mounts.
The stock flywheel bolts right to your engine.
There's a clutch on the market that at least stands a chance of holding your engine.
You're far from the first to turbo the 3.4 TDC.
You borrowed a map from Matt Hawkins.

Where's the pioneering and innovation? :scratch:

So I had...
Cradle fab
Mount bracket fab
Flyhweel modification
No good clutch on the market
Overhaul my own transmissions, and do so for customers.
Made my harness with wires the right length, sell people more like it, and have NEVER had a wiring problem.
Ran 12's.

How many 12 second timeslips do you have? :scratch:

Oh yeah, and I was getting that car on the road before you had your driving license.
It bolts right to only 3 of the stock mounts. I made the other 2.

The stock flywheel that isn't stock and didn't fit my engine that well after all?

This the same clutch that slips in 3rd and 4th gear?

So I'm what, maybe the 5th? I'm by far the best.

No I didn't, Matt's car has nothing in common with mine really, besides engine. We are using completely different components, completely different computers, and completely different tuning methods. I borrowed a map from Tim, and it was useless. I made my own.

Look, there is no point in arguing this. Everyone knows my car has far more fabrication than your's does. I'm shocked even you are arguing this.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Mach10
Mach10 offers you his protection.

Post by Mach10 »

I think this says pretty much what needs to be said about your "fabrication" skills.

I've seen Will's work. What color's the sun on your world? Because trust me, you aren't even in the same universe.

:salute:
"Oh, this is too good. She thinks you're a servant... Cause you're black! This is greatest moment in my miserable life... Sooo-ey! I LOVE RACISM!"
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Hilarity. Are you really trying to tell us that you've done more fabrication than a guy who's spent hours calculating the exact physics of his crankshaft? I don't think you can even understand the math that he's done to make his engine so incredibly superior to yours. You are delusional, aren't you?
<Insert Sig Here>
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Will is, in my opinion, one of the most highly respected Fiero owners on both boards.
I'd probably believe Will for a few minutes if he told me I had grown horns on my head.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

I'm going to jump on the, "What are you, high?" bandwagon as well. If you want to knock Will, using "pioneering" and "fabrication" on car projects is a *really* bad spot to start.

Bryce
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Mach10 wrote:I think this says pretty much what needs to be said about your "fabrication" skills.

I've seen Will's work. What color's the sun on your world? Because trust me, you aren't even in the same universe.

:salute:
That pic is not only 6 years old, it was the first header I ever built, not 15 minutes after I taught myself how to weld, and my first time ever fabricating metal. I think I've improved. But even if not, we haven't seen Will do any better. He got a N* into a Fiero. So have 40 other people, including myself.

You haven't seen my work. You've seen pictures. Some, pictures.
Fastback86 wrote:Hilarity. Are you really trying to tell us that you've done more fabrication than a guy who's spent hours calculating the exact physics of his crankshaft? I don't think you can even understand the math that he's done to make his engine so incredibly superior to yours. You are delusional, aren't you?
Calculating and fabricating aren't the same. One involves fairly simple math and a calculator. Math has nothing to do with fabrication, beyond using a measuring tape.

If he's so much better, let's see it. He posts less pics than Atilla, and that kid doesn't even have a digital camera.
Gooch wrote:Will is, in my opinion, one of the most highly respected Fiero owners on both boards.
I'd probably believe Will for a few minutes if he told me I had grown horns on my head.
Your point? I don't want people's respect. Because the more they laugh at my ideas, my car, and what I've done, the more I one-up it.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Will sure is quite the fucking hypocrite. After deleting nearly every post I make on Tech for being off topic or starting a flamewar, he deliberately drags this topic into the dirt, off topic, and into an insult fest. Nice going Will, it's a good thing everyone respects you for using a calculator on your crankshaft!

Now, back on topic...

I took my wiring harness out, and redid parts of it, and fixed some other things. I put it back in, and the car started normal, and seemed to run a bit better as well. However, I've still got the SES lamp for the bypass error. I checked the wire, and it was fine. So it's either the ICM or PCM. I really doubt either is screwed up, as both are functioning perfect aside from this one issue. In my experience, problems with either result in total failure, not failure of one aspect of its duties if you will.

However, I have a friend with a 94 Z34. I'm going to swap my PCM into his car (Or visa-versa), and see if his throws the SES lamp for the bypass error.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I still haven't been able to get ahold of my friend's Z34, but I may not need to. Seems now, I only have a SES lamp about half the time. I haven't checked to see what it's for yet, because the car is still running great.

I got my Dynojet Wideband Commander back in, and changed a few of the wires. I can now get it to datalog, and read TPS. However, at idle, it shows my TPS at 10%. At WOT, it shows 85%. My throttle is opening, and closing, all of the way, so I'm not sure why there's variations. I'll be checking it with the scanner and multimeter this week. However, the WBO2 will not pick up RPM. I've tied into two different wires that they told me two. First is the negative side of the coil pack, the ground wire. I tried that, no dice. Next they said that tying into my PCM's tachometer feed would work as well. Again, no dice. So I'm going to call them Monday. Sucks, because I really want to start datalogging.

Seems when I floor it, AFRs start around 13, and quickly drop and hold at about 11. So I've got some more power by pulling some fuel, just need to get it datalogging so I can tune it by RPM.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo