Aaron's build thread.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Series8217 wrote:That's odd. They should be able to put an inductive sensor on one of your spark plug wires and set the appropriate divider value for a 6-cylinder wasted-spark ignition system. That's what they do at the smog test station..
It isn't for the dyno. This is for my Wideband Commander, which datalogs with WBO2, TPS, RPM, and other 5v sensors if wanted. So it is in the car all of the time, and I plug my laptop into it to datalog and see the A:F graph.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron wrote:
Series8217 wrote:That's odd. They should be able to put an inductive sensor on one of your spark plug wires and set the appropriate divider value for a 6-cylinder wasted-spark ignition system. That's what they do at the smog test station..
It isn't for the dyno. This is for my Wideband Commander, which datalogs with WBO2, TPS, RPM, and other 5v sensors if wanted. So it is in the car all of the time, and I plug my laptop into it to datalog and see the A:F graph.
Ahh ok. Did you try to just wire the tach signal wire into the WC? That should work.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yah I did, nothing.

I'm leaning towards the WB Commander having a problem though, as in their FAQ, for the LSX guys they say that tying into the white tachometer feed wire works great. I'd think our ICM sends a signal much like that of the LSX, or at least usable to the WB.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:However, the WBO2 will not pick up RPM. I've tied into two different wires that they told me two. First is the negative side of the coil pack, the ground wire. I tried that, no dice. Next they said that tying into my PCM's tachometer feed would work as well. Again, no dice. So I'm going to call them Monday.
Aaron wrote:He said since the ground grounds the ICM, and not the coil independently, T-ing to the negative won't work. So he said T into the tach feed from the PCM. I told him my PCM doesn't send the tach a signal, my ICM does that directly. He said that is weird :scratch:
Ok, it sounds like the gizmo wants to see a pulse to ground. That's what it would have to sense if wired into the negative terminal of the coil on a distributor system.
It's unclear whether you've tried the white tach wire from the ICM to the tach. That may not work, however, because it is (AFAIK) a 0-5V signal while the coil primary is a 0-12V signal. If the module you're installing is edge triggered, then it should work with the tach signal. If it's level triggered at a level greater than 5V, then it won't work with the tach wire.

If the tach wire doesn't work, then a fuel injector should, as long as you tie into the PCM side of the injector.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Yah I tried the tach wire, no dice.

I'm going to try the injector next, probably tomorrow or Friday. Thanks Will.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I let a friend of mine borrow my car, and he wrecked it a few minutes ago.

I guess he was pulling out of a gas station, and a guy looked like he was going to pull in, but went straight instead. That's all I heard. Guess it's not so pretty anymore. That's ok.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
lucky

Post by lucky »

That sucks.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I guess.
lucky

Post by lucky »

You don't seem too broken up about it.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

A friend borrowed a car that was mediocre running that you spent all this time on?

Don't you have like 5 other cars you could have let (hopefully she) borrow?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'm not. There's no use in getting broken up over shit that doesn't matter. He'll take care of it I'm sure.

It was running good, and I knew he'd like to drive it. So why not? I trust him, and I trust he'll take care of it.

It's just a car guys.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Aaron wrote: It's just a car guys.
:ROFLMAO:

I guess there's no need to dyno it now, or drag it, or even take a video of it. It's "just a car" after all. But we all believe you had the best 3.4 dohc ever built. LMAO.

So when's the L67 build start?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Who said I'm not going to dyno it?

It got the side scraped up, the door is smashed a bit, and the window is shattered. Big deal, still runs great.

I think you misinterpret my understanding of a friend making a mistake. Just because I don't particularly care, doesn't mean that I am writing the car off, taking a huge financial loss, and never looking at it again. It will be down in my garage tonight, it will be fixed over the coming weeks, and it will be back driving. It just isn't a big deal, and isn't worth losing a friend over, so why get all pissed off?

If you live your life getting pissed off every time someone makes an honest mistake, you won't ever have someone to give you a chance when you need one, or to trust you when you need trust, or to give you a break when you fuck up.

So yah, he messed up. He feels terrible, and he'll take care of it I'm sure. And the next time I fuck up with something of his? Or the next time I need a favor? Bet your ass he'll answer his phone.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Its cool that your g/f cheated on you too. She still loves ya and feels horrible about it...

lol.. I love the mentality though, I'd be pissed. Lets hope everything gets fixed up to the condition it was once in.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I never said I would have complete patience and composition under every circumstance. But when a friend, my best friend, makes an honest mistake that anyone could have made? Getting pissed is just going to make things worse.

A g/f cheating isn't an honest mistake. It is done on purpose, with full knowledge of the consequences. That bitch would be gone, no questions asked.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:It got the side scraped up, the door is smashed a bit, and the window is shattered. Big deal, still runs great.
You've got to hit a Fiero door pretty dam hard to shatter the window... that enormous impact beam that makes the door weigh 100 lbs actually does something. I'd be concerned that the hinge post and latch post are damaged. That could total the car.

Or you could have Rcheee install some sagging suicide doors.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

It definitely got crashed.

The front 1/4 panel is trash, it has a 2" crack right behind the wheel where it meets the door.

The rear kickboard thing that has the CAI vent is also scraped up, so it needs to be replaced.

The door is fubar. We took the skin and panel off, and the door is ready to come off. The latch post is fine, however the hinge post appears to be very slightly off position, so it may need to get pulled a little. Sucks.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

your car is going to be totaled by the insurance agency. Let an adjuster come look at it before pulling everything apart.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:your car is going to be totaled by the insurance agency. Let an adjuster come look at it before pulling everything apart.
I only have partial coverage, and my friend was at fault. So we are responsible for fixing it.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I thinkt he more you pull off the more you are going to find just how fubared it got underneath all of the exterior panels. Its going to add up quick especially if you have to take it to a shop to have it straightened.