Got a new truck!

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

CincinnatiFiero

Got a new truck!

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

1993 Dodge Dakota LE extended cab, long bed. 3.9L V6, automatic. Sounds like a turd (well it is...) but I got it for FREE! So I'll take it. I'll post some pics later. I am so excited about having the mobility to haul stuff now that I have a truck. It gets HORRENDOUS mpg right now, so I need to give it a once over. It should get like 18 highway 14city but I think its getting under 10 in town. On my way out to go get some spark plugs and drive to dayton with a tank of injector cleaner. First mod was a set of Sylvania X-travision headlights. One was burnt out and the other sucked, I've never bought xtravisions before, I really like them. $18 for an assload more light than my wrangler with standard sylvanias.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

YES! - free trucks rule!
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
CincinnatiFiero

Got a new fram filter, $2.99 can of throttle body cleaner, and a can of lucas injector cleaner. The spark plugs looked pretty new, so I didn't waste money on a new set. On the ride to dayton it got enh mpg, but on the ride home the injector shit must have kicked in because the needle just switched sides of the line.

Its got an OOOOOOLLLLLLD Pioneer deck in it, but its got a cassette player so I can use my ipod thingy, but I've got a new pioneer CD player kicking around, so it will go in soon. Extended cab is really making me want to throw my Type-R 12 in it...

Going to seafoam it tomorrow hopefully and maybe take her to the strip friday haha.
CincinnatiFiero

Well the seafoam didn't really do jackshit. A few burps of white smoke but that was really it. I didn't use real seafoam though, I used Gumout Step 2 (in pep boy's service departments 3 step fuel economy service they skip step 2 and throw out the bottles, so my buddy picks them up haha). Does a lack of smoke mean there is a ton of crap and I need to re-treat or there really wasn't that much stuff?

I used the throttle body cleaner to clean out the pcv valve which was kind of gummed up. We'll see how she runs tomorrow.

Let me run outside and take a pic
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

How did you use the Seafoam stuff? When I did my car a couple weeks ago I put a whole can in the tank, half a can in the crankcase and the other half sucked through the brake booster vacuum line. I let it sit for 15 minutes, idle for another 15 and then drove it fairly hard. There was a decent amount of smoke but not tons.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

10 mpg sounds like a bad oxygen sensor (or two)
CincinnatiFiero

it gets 18-20 on the highway, its rated at 14/18. The tranny slipping and letting the gears wind out to 3,000 when it gets moving is whats hurting it. No pics yet, just shitty weather.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

WTF? why does everybody always jump to the conclusion of bad O2 sensors for damn near every drivability issue...

too much time spent on Old Europe brutha
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
CincinnatiFiero

Alright well when I got the truck I was told the oil hadn't been changed this year... so I went out an bought 5 quarts of the finest walmart highmileage 10w30 and a SUPERTECH filter. $13.70 haha.

Tire pressure is supposed to be 35, all tires were 35-40 except the passanger front was at like 19. Filled it up and we'll see how I do.

Supposidly old oil can hurt your mpg? I guess more friction means it has to work harder, so hopefully i'll see some improvement.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

nop. I've replaced them on every car I've had that had them, and never failed to get more miles per gallon. Maximum improvement was my '89 S-10 4.3, which had fallen from 28 to 21. I got all 7 back.
CincinnatiFiero

28mpg out of a 4.3, shit. The mpg is still good on the highway. The oil gauge is still in the safe range but closer to the H, since my change. I need to double tighten everything and make sure its filled to capacity.

Anyone know of any good shift improvers? Lucas Stop slip? HFM black? Something? I swear I get 20mpg highway and the needle barely moves, get into town and it takes a dump fast.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Lucas stop slip has shown an improvement for me in auto trannys in the past, but never anything perfect or permanent.
And stage 2 of the gumout fuel cleaning system on my current car when I first bought it, the idle changed, the SES came on and the exhaust was almost brown for 10 minutes, then the exhaust went back clear and the engine light turned off.
CincinnatiFiero

Nothing perfect comes from bottles, but if it would help a little bit thats worth it to me. Maybe I'll do stage 2 again, I've got another bottle.
CincinnatiFiero

Heres a pic finally, used it to take a blown duke block to my buddy today and then used it to haul back a roof, a hood, and a few other parts. Love having my own truck. Turns out its a 92 with like 80,000 less HP than the 93 V6.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s50/ ... CN3155.jpg
CincinnatiFiero

I was wrong, 1992 was the HP boost. 1991 had 125hp, 1992 had 180hp, which I think is a pretty drastic gain. I did gumout stage 2 again, half through the brake booster, half directly in the tb, let it sit for a while, and started it up, ran like ass for a few minutes a little haze but no real smoke. So I dunno. Just ordered some 5 1/4 MB Quarts to begin my audio build.
CincinnatiFiero

Got some uber shitty Roadmaster 5x7s for the back, but... I paid $6.51 shipped on ebay haha, couldn't resist. They will be better than the dry rotted dodge speakers and they will make some faux bass for the time being. When I get the type-R in there I will get some plates and more 5 1/4s. I am debating staying with my shitty circa 1995 Pioneer tapedeck because my ipod cassette adaptor sounds so much better than the fm modulators (the spare headunits I have around don't have aux ins) olus who is going to steal that headunit? (famous last words) but I do park in iffy areas, my $250 jvc in my fiero worries me but I am not super worried about this HU. So... we'll see.
CincinnatiFiero

MB Quarts came in today.... WAY too nice for the truck. I think I am going to put them in my 87 fiero and put the 5" Dayton Mid-Woofers in the truck.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Heres a pic finally, used it to take a blown duke block to my buddy today and then used it to haul back a roof, a hood, and a few other parts. Love having my own truck. Turns out its a 92 with like 80,000 less HP than the 93 V6.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s50/ ... CN3155.jpg
Those newer "Magnum" heads can be adapted, but I wouldn't skip porting them first. Also, the '92 rocker arms are 1.5:1, while the '93s are 1.6:1. I'm not sure about the lifters, but if you don't have rollers, they can be installed. The Magnum intake sucks, but you may have no choice. That is, if you want the power without a V8 swap. Then again, used "new Hemi"s are going for $1700 around here.
CincinnatiFiero

I have the magnum V6, its the later '92. 180HP!!! woooot. I found the window sticker it says 15/20mpg which is totally different from fuel economy.gov. I'll post the window sticker when my power comes back. Part of me wants to do a motor in truck top end freshening, new gaskets, ported heads, ported intake, etc, but right now I don't want to kill of my truck.

Also I bought my 5x7s out of texas, bets that they will ever show up?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

is that intake plastic, aluminum, or half and half?