Removing a rear clip?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Removing a rear clip?

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Is there a how too floating around? As you may have seen in my sunroof thread my rear clip was damaged by a tree when the previous owner had it. As opposed to trying to fix it, I bought a whole notchie clip for $50. Is there a how on removing the clip? I've only ever installed one on a car where the whole back end was stripped down.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I'd also like to see this, as I want to go from notchie to "fastback".
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

I did this a few years ago. As long as you have all required parts it's not that hard. There are a few pictures in my build thread of the process, but not many. Basically, from what I recall, you need to: remove decklid, remove taillights, sail panels, quarter panel trim, interior B-pillars, headliner. That should allow you to get to the various bolts holding the clip on in addition to the wheel well attachments. Once everything is unbolted, you'll need to gently (don't want to break it) lift the roof enough so that you can pull the clip from underneath. There are three bolts that you need to lift up and clear the roof (they're the ones you access from under the headliner). For this step having a friend helped alot. Then basically you just reverse the procedure for the new clip.

One thing I forgot to do (if you're converting to fastback) is to insert the trunk squaring off pieces before you reinstall the clip.

Like I said, this was years ago so I might've forgotten something, but I think that's about all there is to it.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I pulled a rear clip from a fastback last year. Seems accurate.
CincinnatiFiero

Alright well I've got the new clip in the bed of my truck and the trunk taken off the car. When my F-ing power comes back on I'll work on it. Or I will just push her out into the driveway and do it this afternoon. I will take a bunch of pics atilla.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

How are you posting with the power out? :scratch:
<Insert Sig Here>
lucky

Post by lucky »

Was thinking the same thing...
CincinnatiFiero

I was posting from school.
drumwzrd

Post by drumwzrd »

Any updates?
CincinnatiFiero

Sorry guys, my power literally came on... 3 hours ago. I was super busy this week, I have been working on pulling the clip. I can't get the the sail window bolts out of the B-pilar, I can't get a socket on it through the hole. I have been taking pics when I do work it though.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Do you mean the ones holding the sail panels on? I guess since you're staying with the notchback my method really wouldn't help you much...
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Sorry guys, my power literally came on... 3 hours ago. I was super busy this week, I have been working on pulling the clip. I can't get the the sail window bolts out of the B-pilar, I can't get a socket on it through the hole. I have been taking pics when I do work it though.
Those sail panel bolts can be a pita.

A 11mm socket is required ( if it's the stock nuts there still). you have to go in at an upward and slightly forward angle.

I use a 4" extension on the socket and poke around there untill I find it.

9 times out of 10 the nuts then falls out of the socket when you get it off, if you have small hands you can reach in through the bottom opening and fish it out.
CincinnatiFiero

Lol I was getting all pissed off cause it wouldn't work.. I was using a 10mm... Today I'll try an 11. Yeah I am sticking with notchback, for a bunch of reasons namely cost.

When I put the new belt on I'll try to work a bit more on the clip.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Yeah, when I did my conversion I ended up just breaking the notchback sails off. :thumbleft:
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Oh, I should have added to use a deep socket that's not worn out. That's one of those stamped speed nuts, and the shoulder of the hex is only like 7mm high.
CincinnatiFiero

I undid the one bolt and the sail windo sort of just fell out, really held on there tight... not.
CincinnatiFiero

Rear clip is off! I have to go run errands so I am probably done fieroing for the night but I took more pics and am that much closer.