How many 2.0T swaps?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

befarrer

How many 2.0T swaps?

Post by befarrer »

How many people have swapped in the 2.0L Turbo motor from a sunbird in a Fiero? My dad has one, and I think the only one in existance. They are suprizingly quick motors, I think he is alittle faster than my Quad 4.

We took it to a 100' drag, and he beat me by .1 seconds and 2MPH. Hs best time was a 3.05 or so at 35.XXMPH. Which is about .15 seconds faster and 5 MPH faster than all 3 other V6 Fiero's there. He was .01 seconds slower than a Solstice turbo. And my dad had a dying stock clutch, it started slipping badly after 1 run. Later he found out that his timing was way out, it was firing after TDC lol.

Plus, alot of racing nowadays that class cars by engine size have the split at 2.0L, last year's autocross rules around here would have my dad in a different class than all other Fiero's because his motor was 2.0L or smaller.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I don't want this to seem like bashing, because that's not my feeling, but it really has no chance against most newer 2.0 cars. If you wanna compete in that area, you might do well with a 4G63T, or a boosted ecotec.
I guess it's a matter of how important is competition to you, or is this car 99% daily driver and 1% race track?
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

It 99% daily driver.

But you can put a DOHC head on this car, then have a 16V DOHC motor. The sunbird motor has been used quite alot in europe, it is actually an Opel motor. It is actually the same family of engines as the current Ecotech, it was the first engine to be badged an Ecotech, back in 2000.

Its proper name is the C20GET.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

You never heard about the dealership that sold Fieros with Sunbird turbo motor swaps?

The Ecotec and the 1.8/2.0 have nothing in common. The Ecotec was a fresh design. However, the 1.8/2.0 architecture continues to be used in the Daewoo stuff, so you can get a modern DOHC head from those cars.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

The ecotech over here is actually the 2nd generation ecotech, or the ecotech II in Europe.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Here is the car I was talking about:

EDIT: Apparently 11 of them were built.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I have heard about that option, never seen a brochure though, that is cool, but it seems awfully pricy to me, $23,000 in 88 for a Fiero? Maybe that is why they are not common. I wonder how many they made?

Edit, I just noticed your edit. 11 would make them pretty rare to find a factory one. ALso, wouldnt this make it the first engine swapped into a Fiero? When did they offer the 2.0t, just 88?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

befarrer wrote:I have heard about that option, never seen a brochure though, that is cool, but it seems awfully pricy to me, $23,000 in 88 for a Fiero? Maybe that is why they are not common. I wonder how many they made?

Edit, I just noticed your edit. 11 would make them pretty rare to find a factory one. ALso, wouldnt this make it the first engine swapped into a Fiero? When did they offer the 2.0t, just 88?
I think just 88. I'm pretty sure people were doing engine swaps already in the first few years of the Fiero, so I doubt it was the first.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Series8217 wrote:
befarrer wrote:I have heard about that option, never seen a brochure though, that is cool, but it seems awfully pricy to me, $23,000 in 88 for a Fiero? Maybe that is why they are not common. I wonder how many they made?

I think just 88. I'm pretty sure people were doing engine swaps already in the first few years of the Fiero, so I doubt it was the first.
Lol the fiero... slow from the factory. Didn't the IRM turbo kit come out in like 86?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

V8Archie did his first 327 Fiero in '86