Xanth's Interior Build

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Xanth

Xanth's Interior Build

Post by Xanth »

I've actually already started this on Old Europe, but been spending more time over here as of late and figured I'd update both sites.

Here's what I'm starting with:

Actually in quite nice condition, I want to bring it up to excellent condition and perhaps add a few more modern features while maintaining a stock appearance.

One of the first things I did was the speaker grills:

Prep, I stripped off the old grill material, as well as removed the honeycomb material behind it. With the stock grill there is so much crap between you and the speaker its noticeable how much sound you gain removing that stuff.

In progress, I pulled the surface tight, and pushed down the edge with a razor blade. Then using a soldering iron I gently melted the plastic into the new grill material, doing one side then the opposite side to get the material tight.

And done:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

FieroStore ABS headliner board, uncovered:

Covered the board with 1/4 inch foam:

Applied my new Vinyl:

Trimming for install:

And in the car:

Have to find that darn screw...

1/4 Panel needs cleaning badly:

And for the issues I still have to deal with:

My trim gasket is junk, so I left excess hanging off the top until I get a new one:

Corners don't seal up, due to the mangled gasket:

I've actually fixed the gasket now, just haven't snapped a picture yet.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Can't stop with just that now that the headliner is done...

FieroNews.net aka FieroThomas recovered Sunvisors, Sunshade, and Sunshade bag:

Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Okay, a while ago I acquired an old FieroStore carpet off Ebay. The thing that makes it special is it actually has the correct salt and pepper style pattern as stock, unlike the solid colors available now.

First thing, take apart the interior pieces and pull out the old carpet piece:

Now, the common practice with these seems to be to install the new FieroStore carpet directly over the old carpet. The FieroStore carpet does not have the molded foam, only a pad underneath so I can understand why. However, I am not going to get new carpet just to leave my old carpet underneath.

Here is the underside of the original carpet, showing the molded foam:

And here is the molded foam, now liberated from the carpet:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Next step, the insulation, thanks to Lucky80 :thumbleft: :
step, the insulation:

I used my old carpet as a template for cutting out the insulation, then fit and trimmed it in the car.

Fitting in pretty good:

And now the foam pad to smooth everything out. With the pad in place you don't feel any of the floor moldings or ribs:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

And here's a close-up of the replacement carpet, you can see it has the correct salt and pepper color scheme:

Working it into place:

Here's a shot comparing the original door carpeting, to the new carpeting, to my eyes the new one is just about dead-on:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Same song, second verse:

Oh noes! This side of the car was soaked in coolant from a broken heater core before I got it, I'm guessing that's what caused this. Project for another day.

Insulation and foam in place:

Carpet down:
lucky

Post by lucky »

Looking good, glad I could help.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Magic Eraser will make that B-pillar panel look like new in no time...

Everything is looking great, I need to get a set of those sunvisors!
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Sweet! Those sunvisors look really good. Maybe I'll get some of those if he has a close match to the Beechwood color.

Where can one get more of that recycled foam insulation with the reflective layer?
lucky

Post by lucky »

I bought that roll from JC Whitney. It was about 8 or 9 years ago, dunno if they still sell it. IIRC the 4'x24' roll was ~$75. (I had a cold, old van at the time.)
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Hmm.. they show a picture right here:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Sear ... insulation
For the "insulation" category.. but they dont actually have any product like that. :scratch:
lucky

Post by lucky »

:dontknow:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

lucky80 wrote:Looking good, glad I could help.
Stuff worked great, I'd been putting off buying some for quite some time. Actually been putting off doing the carpet, because I was putting off buying the material :thumbleft:

Jinxmutt wrote:Magic Eraser will make that B-pillar panel look like new in no time...
Everything is looking great, I need to get a set of those sunvisors!
I have to grab one of those, a few people have recommended them to me now. The grime doesn't want to come off with just cleaner, and I don't want to use anything too harsh. Would probably work for if I ever get the headliner dirty as well.

His visors are excellent, the ones I sent to him were all floppy at the end and just crap overall. These look like new, and I believe they've even improved since then as I have one of the earlier Vinyl versions.
Series8217 wrote:Sweet! Those sunvisors look really good. Maybe I'll get some of those if he has a close match to the Beechwood color.

Where can one get more of that recycled foam insulation with the reflective layer?
Heres an example of one of his Beechwood ones, done in vinyl:
http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum4/HTML/042273-2.html#p79

Kind of odd about the JCWhitney page, it does clearly show exactly what I've got, but its not listed :scratch:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Here's some that looks similar, the rolls are pretty damn expensive but they also list it in sheets:

http://www.sportcompactonly.com/Insulat ... l-2611.htm

You might even find something similar in a home depot, though there may be differences for the automotive stuff.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Funny thing with JCW, I just tried to send away for the "everything automotive" catalog (used to get it, that's where I got the insulation from), they don't even have that option on their "Free catalogs" page. I'll keep my eyes open for more of that insulation.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I assume you're using the insulation for road noise. Let us know how much of a difference it makes.

I'm kind of annoyed that the Fiero Store carpet doesn't have the "dead pedal" vinyl on the driver's side.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

It's looking really good.

x2 on the letting us know how well the insulation works out.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I assume you're using the insulation for road noise. Let us know how much of a difference it makes.

I'm kind of annoyed that the Fiero Store carpet doesn't have the "dead pedal" vinyl on the driver's side.
I'm holding onto my old carpet in the hopes I can somehow remove the vinyl pieces and re-attach them to my new carpet. I took off the one vinyl piece that was on there because it was ugly and just looked very cheap.

As for the sound difference, its not huge, but definitely noticeable. I don't really hear it in the car being much quieter, however I can hear other noises that I couldn't hear over the road before. Engine sounds a bit louder through the firewall where there is no deadener right now, I can hear the door rods rattle, the intake whistle, and even the fuel pump more clearly now. So the noise from that direction has been reduced, just all the other noises in the car are more noticeable.

And to add, the ABS headliner board does squeak and creak.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Next thing I'm looking into, is some sound dampening for the doors and firewall area.

Anyone familiar with the Vinyl dampening sheets?
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... roup_ID=37

PartsExpress lists them as being more effective than the asphalt based sheets, plus the reduced weight is always welcome.

They also sell a Hoodliner kit that I may use to redo the firewall in the engine bay.