New Snail

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Aaron wrote:
God wrote:But then again, I never got into modding cars thinking that I would turn a profit off of it.
That is the biggest thing. Anyone who gets into modifying cars thinking they will profit, or at the least break even, is beyond delusional. It is a hobby, and it costs money, like any other hobby. And the people that do it for a living, don't do it as a hobby, don't enjoy it, and most struggle to stay afloat.
If someone wants to buy a 10 second street car for 2500, Ill make money on my car.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Fast, cheap, reliable.

Pick 2.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
MstangsBware

Post by MstangsBware »

darkhorizon wrote:
Aaron wrote:
God wrote:But then again, I never got into modding cars thinking that I would turn a profit off of it.
That is the biggest thing. Anyone who gets into modifying cars thinking they will profit, or at the least break even, is beyond delusional. It is a hobby, and it costs money, like any other hobby. And the people that do it for a living, don't do it as a hobby, don't enjoy it, and most struggle to stay afloat.
If someone wants to buy a 10 second street car for 2500, Ill make money on my car.
That come with the chipped piston and PVC charge pipe?
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

MstangsBware wrote:
darkhorizon wrote:
Aaron wrote:
PVC has been in the trach for weeks... No pistons were harmed when I overboosted either, I did a compression check the other day.
MstangsBware

Post by MstangsBware »

darkhorizon wrote:
MstangsBware wrote:
darkhorizon wrote:
Aaron wrote:
PVC has been in the trach for weeks... No pistons were harmed when I overboosted either, I did a compression check the other day.
Compression check does't catch chipped pistons.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Aaron wrote: ...
And the people that do it for a living, don't do it as a hobby, don't enjoy it, and most struggle to stay afloat.
I don't think I'd go as far as saying that most don't enjoy it. There are plenty of people out there doing what they love to do. And running your own business will always be a struggle, no matter what you're dealing with.

To stay on topic...Nice turbo :thumbleft:
Indy DOHC Turbo SD4.....someday.
Oh, and f*ck the envelope. (RFT Insurgent)
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

MstangsBware wrote:
darkhorizon wrote:
MstangsBware wrote:
darkhorizon wrote:
Aaron wrote:
Compression check does't catch chipped pistons.
or whopped rod bearings.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Time for updates!
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

darkhorizon wrote:Time for updates!
Not much to update yet.

I have all my parts back from the powdercoater, and almost all of my parts are gathered.

One thing I need to do is throw a picture up of my ported heads. I did a mild port on the intake and exhaust runners, I opened the exhaust about 3/32" and the intake about 1/16" over the total runner and then blended that into the bowl.

I have a friend of mine that does performance machine shop work and he then took my heads, cleaned up the bowls, smoothed up the short-side of the bowl, and did an awesome blended 4-angle competition valvejob.

These heads are going to flow awesome for a stock valve head, plus they have they 1.83 intake valve and no injector bung in the way (l26 heads) so that's another added bonus. Along with that, I got a set of comp 105lb spring and modded retainers.

All in all, I got an awesome set of heads for $530 including the cost of the heads.

I got a pretty good deal on my wastegate yesterday too. I got a brand new 40mm synapse wastgegate kit for $240 shipped on ebay. That's about the price of the tial 38mm without the flanges.

When my wife gets back from seattle, I'll post some pics. But right now, I'm just waiting on Ryan to give me a call to tell me he's ready for the car. I have pretty much everything I wanted to buy before I brought it to him except a turbo blanket, but I'll have that in the next day or two.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

How much did you spend on your blanket?

They are really expensive! Luckily I got a really good deal on eBay, but I was shocked when I saw them for $100-$200!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

No pics of anything yet, but I confirmed with Ryan and it's heading down next wednesday for the project. I'm pretty stoked about it now.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Whats the timeline? weeks or months?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

He said he is taking it to Ryan, not V8Archie
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:He said he is taking it to Ryan, not V8Archie
LOL, yeah, it shouldn't be that long. I have most of the parts already. The only thing he might have to wait on will be the custom intercooler. But the company I want to use claims a 3-5 day turnaround, we'll see. I paid Triple Edge for my transmission back in August, so that is getting done too and might take some time. I'll know more when I actually get the car down there and we discuss what I actually want done. There's alot more than the turbo swap being done.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

oh built tranny too? stall?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:oh built tranny too? stall?
I don't remember what Dave and I discussed about the stall. I am getting a performance converter and he does custom stalls. I checked my invoice, but I don't have an rpm listed on it. I will leave it up to Ryan and Dave to figure out a proper stall. It's not going to be aggressive though. I want more streetability than performance.

It is going to a 3.29 final drive though.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

God wrote:
Shaun41178(2) wrote:oh built tranny too? stall?
I don't remember what Dave and I discussed about the stall. I am getting a performance converter and he does custom stalls. I checked my invoice, but I don't have an rpm listed on it. I will leave it up to Ryan and Dave to figure out a proper stall. It's not going to be aggressive though. I want more streetability than performance.

It is going to a 3.29 final drive though.
Stock HD stall owns all! 2100rpms, and MAYBE 0psi of boost lol! This rigged HX35 still tends to rip the tires off the line though.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

I decided not to vent my hood..... I am happy with popping it. I am running short on extra time as it is. I have an electric actuator that could work very well in the front I may try out if I can work the geometry.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

darkhorizon wrote:I decided not to vent my hood..... I am happy with popping it. I am running short on extra time as it is. I have an electric actuator that could work very well in the front I may try out if I can work the geometry.
That's understandable. I'll keep popping my hood for now too. I'll eventually get one from the junkyard and do a 1FST2M6 style scoop (cutting a hole in the front and putting mesh underneath it). I got a guy who'll hook me up with paint work when I need it.

I took the car down the Ryan today for the turbo swap. He's got a few goodies to add on as well. I am definietly going to have to upgrade injectors this spring!