Where to buy poly bushings?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Where to buy poly bushings?

Post by Aaron »

Where can I buy poly bushings for my 88 suspension, particularly the rear swaybar?

I'd rather not buy from the Fiero Store, and if it's cheaper somewhere else, that's a plus.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I bought my cradle bushings on ebay. A lot of people just sell the 88 master kit on ebay.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I already had all of the other Poly bushings for the rear, I got them thrown in when I bought the maroon car. Just need the swaybar ones now, but I'll check eBay, thanks.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

summit and jegs has them. Check the tech section in the sticky thread hard to find parts or what not. I think I posted on page 3 or 4 for the end link kits and their part numbers.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:summit and jegs has them. Check the tech section in the sticky thread hard to find parts or what not. I think I posted on page 3 or 4 for the end link kits and their part numbers.
Ok I found your post, however, you never clarified if that was for the front or rear.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Ok I'm going to order the end links from The Fiero Store.

However, I can't find the actual swaybar bushings for an 88 rear yet. Is the 88 rear bar 23mm?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Aaron wrote:Ok I'm going to order the end links from The Fiero Store.

However, I can't find the actual swaybar bushings for an 88 rear yet. Is the 88 rear bar 23mm?
Think your gonna hafta but the rear bushing kits with the brackets, I never did find a direct replacement bushing for the rear 88 bar.

I just forget if the rear bar is 22 or 23 mm. Someone should chirp in with the know.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Try www.p-s-t.com or prothane has lots of universal #'s with dimensions in the back of their paper catalog.

EDIT: Hmmm, PST doesn't have a direct listing on the 88 rear bar bushings.
I'll keep my eyes open. AutoBone has the prothane universals on the sales floor, just get measurements and go in.

An FYI for anyone else though, Federal Mogul has front 84-87 end links with poly bushings, AAP gets $6 per side, and the store I used to work for had them on the shelf.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I ordered the end links and the bushings from Energy Suspension.

The end link spacers they sell closest to the Fiero size are either 2" or 2 3/8". The stock 88 rear end links are just over 2 1/4". So I ordered the links with 2" spacers, and I'm going to reuse my old spacers. I decided to get the entire link kit because my washes and the bolt were rusted pretty badly.

As for the bar, it is 22mm or 7/8"
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
fierogt28

Post by fierogt28 »

The 88 rear sway bar is 22mm in diameter. The front is 28mm.

But the 84-87 front sway bars are 23mm. That my help the confusion of fiero sway bar diameters.

Jelly2m8 is right about finding a direct replacement. You need to find or probably modify another GM bushing and fit it to the bracket.

I got the fiero store 88 endlinks on my fiero, and I'm very happy.

fierogt28
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I have stock rubber 88 rear swaybar bushings (the ones that go on the cradle; not the endlinks) in excellent shape if anyone wants to buy them.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I do too, with the brackets, also in great shape. I also have the stock end links.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
CincinnatiFiero

lucky80 wrote:
An FYI for anyone else though, Federal Mogul has front 84-87 end links with poly bushings, AAP gets $6 per side, and the store I used to work for had them on the shelf.

Any way to tell them apart when I ask? At pep boys they called them "HD" and a few of the HD part numbers in the pro-steer boxes had red poly bushings.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Same deal at AAP, stores still carrying the TRW line, the part # will have HD at the end, and red bushings. Stores switched to Moog, the part #'s are different, the listing will say heavy duty, and Moog's poly bushings are blue, IIRC.

EDIT: I wanted to add that the store I was in had their "undercar" mix.
I can't even recall all the different names they had for all their different inventory mixes, but any at worst they'd probably be a next day item. Also, they did the swap to Moog after I quit, and I believe Moog may be more expensive, but I don't know by how much.

EDIT again: The universal bar to frame bushings at AutoBone include universal brackets, you just measure your bar and bolt centers.
CincinnatiFiero

Advance had a pretty good selection of Prothane (or is it energy) poly in the performance aisle. My front end wanders a bit and the swap bar bushings are all dry rotted so I think I will upgrade to poly soon.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I would highly recommend getting poly bushings from WCF. They come with zerk fittings so you can grease them often. They also machine grooves into the inner diameter of the bushings to distribute the lubricant over the whole diameter. This is a PITA to do yourself but is very much necessary if you want them to last.
The proper grease is Huskey Lube-O-Seal. It's the exact same stuff as comes in the little packets with the poly bushings, but you get a whole grease gun cartridge for like $10.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Ya, AAP added the universals recently, and IIRC both prothane and energy have the option of zerks on their bar to frame brackets.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Greasable swaybar bushings have been available for a long time. I'm talking about for the control arms, trailing links, and lateral links. WCF is the only vendor I know of that sells those prepped for grease fittings.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Oh.
CincinnatiFiero

Went to AAP today for my CV boot and tranny lines.

The Moog poly front links are ~$15 per side, and are in stock. The TRWs were more like $8 or $9 and were order items. They then had "OE Brand sway bar links with urethane bushings" for $5.89 per side and they can have them next day. Once I get my back end sorted out I will move to the front of the car and start poly-ing.